K1 Flash - setup CAN motor parameters, Firmware update and Calibration & K1 BlackBox 3 & brand new K1 BatteryBox Racing

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
K1 Flash Banner.jpg

Dear Bafang ebikers

Would you like to set or tune motor controller parameters? K1 Flash is compatible with all Bafang CAN bus motors (5 pin connector with "house" shape).
Also can download motor firmware for M500, M510 and M600 motors and run Calibration.

Ocean&Yellow.jpg

Simple as 1, 2 ,3 ...

1. Insert included SD card (with set of firmwares - cca 50 firmwares)
2. Power up K1 Flash (over USB-C cable from your mobile, power bank, charger ...)
3. Connect to your CAN motor - steady green LED light means all set and you can unplug device
In a minute your motor is flashed and parameters set according setup text file on SD card.

More info, pictures, video and ordering info at this google forms page:
https://forms.gle/dRUUj4swGB9aTmfs6
- will be updated soon, also some operation videos.

K1 Flash na ebay.jpg

Tested on M500, M600 rev.A and B, M510 FC1.0 and FC2.0, M620 CAN so far. Should be also working on M300 and M420, but not tested yet. In the future also support for M630 and M560.
Speed unlock, circumference supported by all Bafang CAN motors, including CAN hub motors.

K1 Flash Lite starting from 110 Eur including shipping in EU.

Yellow + SD card.jpg
Ocean.jpg Ocean&Yellow3.jpg Ocean&Yellow2.jpg QR.JPG Connecting K1 Flash diagram.png

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
K1 BlackBox 3

BB3 ebay2.jpg

Will update soon...

Here is a google form page for more info, pictures, tips, videos and ordering info.

What is the difference to K1 Flash

• BB3 is connected between motor and display. Can be plugged permanently on your ebike, or you can just set parameters and then unplug.
  • Switch speed limits and configuration parameters by holding a Plus button on your Bafang buttons
  • Is waterproof
  • Power is taken from your motor
  • No firmware flash support.
  • ASLS function
BB3 3.jpg

Colored BB3 2.jpg

BB3 + new display.jpg

BB3 Screens.jpg

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Found out there is a new firmware for M500 - 18A CRX10NC3618i142055.9 - if anybody has this firmware, could you pls. share? Could be some new controller revision (bootloader and flashing protocol changed) as one customer was writing me he is not possible to flash old M500 firmwares into brand new spare controller.

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Update: Yesterday I have managed to flash also M620 (only CAN bus motors) over K1 Flash.

So will be supporting also M300 and M420 as it is same firmware type. More over all these 3 motors have same boot code (which is strange) and even Besst allows you to flash M420 firmware into M620. Then of course you wont turn on your motor. ;)

Updated K1 Flash version 1.1 soon.

1686650305511.png

Caio

Apr 24, 2021
Sao Paulo Brazil
Hey Dado,

Are you able to program the DPC245 unit (Bluetooth) to be recognized by other devices such as a Garmin? Maybe there´s room to give this visibility at the GPS Head Unit (big maybe) to see battery levels, or even, stretching to possible programable interface like Mission Control from Specialized, distant future…...future hope. Wishful thinking

Cheers

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hey Dado,

Are you able to program the DPC245 unit (Bluetooth) to be recognized by other devices such as a Garmin? Maybe there´s room to give this visibility at the GPS Head Unit (big maybe) to see battery levels, or even, stretching to possible programable interface like Mission Control from Specialized, distant future…...future hope. Wishful thinking

Cheers

Hello

That would mean to flash display with custom firmware. You wont get source code of bafang display firmware.

By retransmitting CAN to BT, would work.

BB3 does not have BT.
K1 Flash do have.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
My
Hey Dado,

Cheers
There already is some integration with the Garmin. My Explore recognises my M600 / DPC241 and somehow knows when the battery is down to 10%, showing a low battery level on the Garmin.

Within the Garmin features there are a number of fields you can look for and some BT integration with other devices. I started to look for how to do this and I think there was a thread somewhere about 2 years ago on this. I no longer use my Garmin Explore ( you can't move the map left or right to look for your route only panning in and out at which stage you can't see the tracks, so dumb ).

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello guys.

Have managed a breakthrough - removed power limitation at 30%, for those who dont own original CAN Bus Bafang battery. And you can get energy from battery up till the end (even set Low Voltage Cutof). A small device needs to be connected on e-bike permanently. Yes, looks like it is a penalty, when you not using original CAN battery - to annoy people. ;)

It is not easy though to make correct translation from voltage to SOC without fuel guage chip inside battery BMS.

Can be out in a month. Lot of developing and testing (it is time consuming as I need to discharging battery in real ride)
Could be named maybe K1 BBR.

Sucking 20A at 29V ;)

IMG20231022140115_01.jpg

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello.

Unfortuantelly no. There is DC/DC up to 60V (up to 14S). Your battery is way above. :(
It is interesting this high power M620 controller modification - would say they had to change MOS FETs.

khaoskosmos

Sep 10, 2023
usa
Ahh, bummer. Maybe on the FETs, I've read that they used 100V caps like the older controllers had too. I haven't had it apart to see.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Guys, did you know firmware M620 v41.1.02 is supporting FC1.0 parameters? So power adjustments are possible (missing Support level a.k.a Assistance %, I guess this only with new better torque sensor)

1700101318905.png

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Since I swapped to CAN Bafang motors, I was concerned about power limitation (too soon - M600 from 30%, M510 FC2.0 from 25%) and about depth of discharge.

I did some tests of brand new K1 BlackBox Racing device and works as a charm. ;)
Possible to set Low Voltage Cutoff and you can discharge your battery down to 3.0 V per cell even without power limitation.
It is done with tricking the controller, not by a change of firmware, so device needs to be connected permanently to motor (over middle connector at the motor and hide next to motor).

Also you can use 52V battery with 48V firmware and you would get correct SOC percentage. (K1 SOC estimation algorithm will be upgraded if needed - not simple task to estimate correctly just from battery voltage. In cold it is very hard, when no battery temperature compensation).

Or you can use your 48V battery and flash to motor 43V firmware and you get cca 100W more.

Can show also battery Voltage at main screen (without decimals).

Device can also swap between 4 basic speed limit and circumference. (New motors - M510 FC2 and M560 - needs restart to take effect)

1700679850492.png

A video here - 43V firmware in M600 and 48V battery.

1700677256525.png

1700677302407.png

Some fake parameters: Current is motor temperature -640 means 64 degree C

1700677412567.png

MNT - total energy consumption in Ah
LNT - Energy counter in mAh, is resetting automatically after full battery charge.
Cell - Battery in use (10 - 36V, 12 - 43V, 13 - 48V, 14- 52V)

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Hi Dano
I have 3 motors M500, M510 & M820, will K1 Flash work on all 3 motors and what advantages will I have over the Beest tool.
Do you offer a after Sales help?
I‘m pretty savvy with the mechanical and electrical stuff but clueless on the programming.
Thanks

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello Goff.

Yes, will work with all 3 motors. M500 does not support much to set - only speed limit, wheel size and circumference though. But you can flash 17A firmware (if you dont have already) and you will feel significant more power.

K1 Flash is simple and user friendly, just connect to motor and wait few seconds for green steady light. No need passwords (which are expiring in Besst), no speed limit restriction (with current Besst you can set only 25kmh in EU or you need to hassle with python workarounds). And comes with set of firmwares (over 60 firmwares). Can run also rotor calibration.
Can not set old UART motors (but here it is cheap solution for 5 Eur with usb to uart convertor). And can not flash firmware to displays - but this is not much important, did not experience any issues with CAN displays.

Yes, you will get also after sale profesional support. Have 10y experience with Bafangs and did lot of troubleshooting with customers. Will provide you explanations, how bafang motors works, what is possible and what is not. :) I am fair and replaying in 24h usually. I am racing in marathon open category and tunning motors for higher power. Riding now 2kW Bafang Innotrance ebike, also 3.5kW LMX and looking forward for new M560 - what continous power it can stand. :)

Now working on "faking" battery device K1 BBR, which will allow deeper discharge and also remove power limitation - which was big drawback with non original CAN bus batteries. Also will be able to swap between 4 speed limits (25, 32, 45, 65kmh), calibration. Should be out soon. Later maybe also BT support for parameter settings of BBR.

Check the product link for thanks email. :)

Last edited:

ymmr32

Jul 13, 2022
Japan
Hello. I am a 36v m820 user. It is necessary to strengthen the BBR unit and walk mode, or add a throttle function. Is this possible? Is it possible to have it developed by special order?

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello. I am a 36v m820 user. It is necessary to strengthen the BBR unit and walk mode, or add a throttle function. Is this possible? Is it possible to have it developed by special order?
Hello.

What you mean to strenghten BBR?
Not possible to add throttle support, or manipulate walk mode. You need to have source code of firmware, which you wont get.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles