Just a quick FYI if you want Magura brakes on your Canyon

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK
I've had MT7 Pros put on my Spectral this week and the bike shop raised an interesting issue with the Magura rotors. The Shimano rotors on my bike are thinner than recommended so I upgraded to the Magura rotors.
The issue is that on the Canyon the magnet for the speed sensor is mounted right on the axle as part of the brake disk wheres other brands have the sensor more outboard on the wheel. Magura don't currently have a rotor that is compatible directly so my LBS have made an adaptor themselves as a temporary measure. They have spoken with Magura and raised the issue - they are apparently looking to bring out new rotors at some point in the future but they aren't here yet.
I could use the old Shimano rotors but I'm going to go with the "bodge" unless it fails.

20210915_113055.jpg

20210915_113132.jpg

Digby

Sep 15, 2021
Malaga (Spain)
So do we have any options at all as replacements or just a very hand LBS or another direct Shimano replacement, im wanting to switch mine out as they state resin pads only and arent that great tbh ??

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK
From what I understood, there aren't any directly compatible Magura rotors at the moment sadly. Other brands might have something available though, I haven't looked yet

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK
Yea it's the centre lock that's the issue - damn Shimano! As it says on the rotor, they aren't to be used with adaptors for some reason

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
I don't see any issues, just buy the right parts for your bike.

Magura CL version:

Also this works on 6-bolt rotors, I've run these about 900km's

Here is also a trek version for 6-bolt rotors. No personal experience.

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK
There's no issue with the 6-bolt rotors, it's the centrelock that's the problem. That rotor you linked seems to be the answer, even if it seems to only be available at one shop, which is interesting as when I searched for it before I couldn't find it! Helpful for others anyway!

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK
Centrelock is Shinano and Canyon is a manufacturer so it is very much their choice...not sure if you're trying to bring attitude for some reason but thanks for the link to the rotor

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles