JAM² Handling with TEC pack fitted

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Hi all, new and near to making a first purchase. Been posting on general thread but guess this really should be asked here.

Seen what looks like a decent deal on Jam² with TEC pack included.

In an ideal world I will be using motor sparingly to assist with the many local ups for the short downs. So a lighter bike with smaller battery attractive.

Option to add the pack and go further with more assist still there and may well become the norm so wondering how you all feel Jam² handles with the TEC pack fitted.

Whilst obviously heavier than without is it very compromised compared to a bike with permanent 625wh battery.

Thanks for any help in resolving my very fortunate current dilemma.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would have though a Levo SL was more in line with what you are looking for. The Jam is really a lighter full fat EMTB, whereas the SL is a lighter lower powered emtb. From what Forum members have reported back they are getting really good range out of the SL, because the smaller output battery and motor work well together to do this., and it has a well thought out range extender too

The Jam is a great bike, but the SL is designed to do what you say.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Compared to the weight of the overall bike and rider, I don’t really find the handling noticeably different with the pack on or off.

It’s fitted in about the best place possible, on the downtube, and I find a loaded under seat pack much more noticeable.

The other thing is, if you’re easy on the assistance and put the effort in, the integrated battery alone will cover surprising distances.

I’m a fairly heavy bloke, but I can get nearly 20 miles out of it with judicious switching of modes, albeit with only a few hundred metres of climbs. You can also dial down the assistance in each mode using the app. When I first got mine, I had everything on max, but find now that even trail mode feels over assisted, and I’m in eco most of my rides now.

If I was buying another e-bike tomorrow though, I’d probably be looking at the Levo SL too, although they’re still twice the price I paid for my Jam 2...

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Agree the Levo SL looks to be a great bike, taken the Jam² concept and smashed it. It is probably ideal for how I want to be riding however there are some caveats.

Having had a ride on wife's new Thron² I can see how I may well be up for some blasting about with high assist to explore new routes that I later ride with less power. I do have a burly Enduro acoustic bike that flatters my skill levels so do not want to dial back the ebike travel too far and risk serious injury (again). Perhaps most importantly carbon Jam² with TEC pack for £3360 is currently affordable and seems a good deal.

Glad to hear you find the negative impact of the TEC pack minimal Tooks.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Edit above to remove compromise on travel caveat having just re read the spec of a bike I can't really afford right now!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think as long as you go into the Jam purchase with open eyes you will be ok - you can get really good range riding it in Eco mode, which is still plenty enough. We did this ride with one guy on a Jam, he rode mostly in Eco, we ere all in Trail with 504wh batteries, and we all got back with 1 bar of battery left. Obviously things like rider weight, riding style, and true choice make a difference, but you get the idea

Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 10.54.20.png

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
I think as long as you go into the Jam purchase with open eyes you will be ok - you can get really good range riding it in Eco mode, which is still plenty enough. We did this ride with one guy on a Jam, he rode mostly in Eco, we ere all in Trail with 504wh batteries, and we all got back with 1 bar of battery left. Obviously things like rider weight, riding style, and true choice make a difference, but you get the idea

View attachment 30562
Looks reassuring, thanks. Having moved to Cornwall from Surrey riding those trails are what I miss the most!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have ridden he Jam a fair bit and on the higher end models you do notice the positive effects of the weight saving when riding it - also looks great :cool:. Hell of deal at that price

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I had the Jam2 too, and almost noticed no difference when riding with the TecPac.
Meant I could do some pretty big rides. I did one over 2200 vertical meters, and about 70 km with a couple of bars left at the end. I will admit I sweated a bit. stayed in Eco as much as possible.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
I had the Jam2 too, and almost noticed no difference when riding with the TecPac.
Meant I could do some pretty big rides. I did one over 2200 vertical meters, and about 70 km with a couple of bars left at the end. I will admit I sweated a bit. stayed in Eco as much as possible.

Boom, another positive experience, thank you. That sounds to have been a pretty epic ride ?.

All I need now is a conflicting view to place me back in a flat spin. Seriously very grateful for all experiences good and bad.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well if you want a conflicting view, if you are shredding the bike round a bike park, jumping, manualing or similar you will in my opinion notice the Tech Pack, as the bike flops more form side to side due to the added weight higher up in the frame, but if going on a longer xc type ride its negligible.

So if your main riding is doing lots of laps of bike arks and rowdy trails then its not the right bike.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Well if you want a conflicting view, if you are shredding the bike round a bike park, jumping, manualing or similar you will in my opinion notice the Tech Pack, as the bike flops more form side to side due to the added weight higher up in the frame, but if going on a longer xc type ride its negligible.

So if your main riding is doing lots of laps of bike arks and rowdy trails then its not the right bike.

Good advice again but not dissuading me.

Despite being a not old 50 the recovery period after a nasty collar bone smash and surgery has very much dampened my bike park aspirations.

When I try and keep up with the younger riding buddies going on the odd bike park day the shuttle can do the ups and the Nomad can take care of the downs.

I have miles of rugged accessible countryside criss crossed with trails that just need exploring to find some fun so hoping I have made the right choice. ?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I will add that the bike does looks crap with the TEC battery on, as most e-mtbs now have integrated batteries it does look really old school.

I used to carry mine in my backpack until I needed it.

Saying that it's still a great bike, and sounds like you have got a great deal on one.

Sorry, I really don't think that helps at all ?:p

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Order placed, thank you all for your advice and opinions, invaluable. Aim is to use this to supplement my regular riding and find new terrain so should get plenty of use in slim mode. If not looks like I will be happy using all those 756wh in any event. Now looking forward to arrival and hoping for the same great repsonse to the inevitable further questions during ownership!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles