"It's me not you". A AXS story.

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
I don't have AXS on my Levo, but I do have AXS on my gravel bike. I'm not impressed. Twice the derailleur battery died despite that AXS app saying there was plenty of charge remaining. So now I have a spare battery that I have to carry (when I can remember it). Plus AXS costs a boatload more money, and still JUST SHIFTS GEARS. So for me, in the end, keeping it charged is just one more damn thing to keep up with, when there are no shortage of things to keep up with already. JMHO

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I use the Zirbel shifter with my AXS. Flick up with the thumb to change up and flick down with the thumb to change down, simple. It's also silky smooth to operate, and wear free, due to the magnetic centring 'spring' and Reed switches.

Awesome cockpit - Now we just need a wireless remote from Specialized...

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I don't have AXS on my Levo, but I do have AXS on my gravel bike. I'm not impressed. Twice the derailleur battery died despite that AXS app saying there was plenty of charge remaining. So now I have a spare battery that I have to carry (when I can remember it). Plus AXS costs a boatload more money, and still JUST SHIFTS GEARS. So for me, in the end, keeping it charged is just one more damn thing to keep up with, when there are no shortage of things to keep up with already. JMHO
Is your battery ok?
I was surprised how long mine lasts tbf.
I bought the AXS for my Giant ebike initially, because the cable routing around the motor made upshifts VERY unreliable. They've since changed the routing and now come out of the frame rather than going around the motor.
Fitting AXS fixed my shifting issues completely.
Untill the pivots on the derailleur wore out and it all went very baggy. They swapped it under warranty but I'm not looking forward to having to buy a new one next time they wear out again.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I've run a lot of sticks through my AXS derailleur and keep expecting it to bend or break but it hasn't been damaged yet. I've hit the brakes dozens of times fearing the worst but it keeps on working smoothly, with a couple of micro-adjustments since new. I even bought a spare just in case.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
Well put BadPiggy.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
20230105_173758.jpg
20230105_173741.jpg

It's a done deal! Thanks for all your input. I got to say I'm happy with the conversation. Sure ain't missing that huge jump onto the 52. I had to switch cassette bodies for that one. A costly move no doubt. Freakin Industry Nine hubs are sweet! So easy to work on. Plus I greased it up and made it quiet. Only hub more irritating than Kings.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
…. I even bought a spare just in case.
I’ve been using the PF Hardtail for the past week on our trails and I must say that I miss the Axs GX. I’ve broken two NX derailers on this bike so far(cheap I know) both times from sticks. A different derailer likely would’ve survived. And I get the occasional chain skip on the cassette.

The Axs GX derailer on my Rail has not skipped a beat in over a year. I did however use the XT cassette and HG chain hack. Basically I miss the speed of changing shifts and the cleaner cockpit is a bonus.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
I've been using these new paddles, much better than the sram options, about as close as you could get to shimano!

View attachment 107273
I'm one of the few riders who doesn't care for it. I'm like one of those old hot rodders. "I'm not giving up my 4 speed manual damn it!" The buttons are to close together for me. Plus I prefer the feel of the manual shifter lever. The AXS derailleur might show up on my gravel bike. I think I'd like the road version. Since none of my riding buddies has inquired about stealing it from me.

Freezer

Dec 12, 2022
SF Bay Area
I had X01 AXS derailleurs on two bikes and ended up going back to mechanical X01 derailleurs. The AXS shifter interface felt vague and imprecise to me and actually slower than mechanical. Mechanical feels direct, positive and fast.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
I had X01 AXS derailleurs on two bikes and ended up going back to mechanical X01 derailleurs. The AXS shifter interface felt vague and imprecise to me and actually slower than mechanical. Mechanical feels direct, positive and fast.
Exactly how I feel Freezer. I'll take Shimano or Sram mechanicals any day of the week.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I suspect that slower shifting on AXS setups is because the servo bulk moves the idlers forward about 20mm, so there's a LOT more chain between the top idler and the cassette, so the angular deflection is reduced and doesn't always drag the chain off the sprocket that it's on.

I modified a hanger to move my whole derailleur back and it shifts absolutely crisp now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles