is my excuse achievable?!

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
The excuse is I have an 18 mile back roads, relatively flat, windy country lanes style commute (if I take the back, avoid-the-main-road-and-the-big-lorries way) from home, to the train station, and the same back.

Hence I plan to buy a Levo FSR :) Which is perhaps overkill, but it's the excuse..... Now, I am assuming that in lower assist modes, I'll easily be abla to do that trip with power spare, and even in higher assist it should be ok. Were the bike derestricted, I could get there in under an hour - but would I be able to get there and back on an unrestricted bike (doing sensible speeds, say 20-22mph av) without needing a recharge?

And would that commute (3 times a week) actually be done better on a cheaper eBike (Cube Acid or similar at £1.5k) as the wear and tear on the Levo would soon add up to that? I really can't have both though, so might as well spend more now for something that does both that trip in more comfort, and the mtb stuff as well.....

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Think you need a rethink

Why would that be? I can do those distances easily on either of my eBikes. My unrestricted hard tail does well over 70kms on a charge with a 504WH battery.

What will make a big difference is tyre choice. Commuting on pavement with knobbly tyres is asking for low milage. A set of slick or semi slick tyres will make a huge difference. I run a set of 29er hookworms on a spare set of wheels and I'd be close to 100km on my hardtail. I can do decent distance on my FS but a hardtail is far more efficient on road.

Gordon

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
75 km on Focus hard tail (375Wh battery) with Schwalbe Super Moto-X 2.4". Impossible to achieve with standard 2.8" Maxxis Minions. Big difference in drag and also tyre noise.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
get cheaper bike with a powerful, rebuildable bafang motor. can even get a throttle. if u get $7k levo, save it for the trails. i thought i might use mine for utilitarian stuff but its a frikkin racebike. i put it in the van to go to the park and only ride it in full gear.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Nothing wrong with commuting on a Levo.
With 29er fast rolling tyres or semi slicks, you will get more kms per charge.

Keep in mind however you will be putting a lot of miles on the bike and it will require more parts. Forks and shocks require services every 50hrs, and then there is wear in chains and gears and tyres ect.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You want this for that

BMC Alpenchallenge AMP CITY LTD 2019 Electric Hybrid Bike | ELECTRIC HYBRID BIKES | Evans Cycles

Screenshot 2019-02-08 at 09.02.07.png

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
@R120 I agree there are many other bikes better suited to that purpose alone - but I suspect that as I get back into cycling more and get fitter, my basic love of mountains and mountain biking will re-emerge and I can use it to get beyond injuries and age and get back onto the trails again. Am not going to buy 2 bikes, so my reasoning is that the Levo will do the commute, and the trails - the above will do only the commute.....

50 miles before a fork and shock service seems pretty short though - I hope it's relatively minor and DIYable?

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
The excuse is I have an 18 mile back roads, relatively flat, windy country lanes style commute (if I take the back, avoid-the-main-road-and-the-big-lorries way) from home, to the train station, and the same back.

Hence I plan to buy a Levo FSR :) Which is perhaps overkill, but it's the excuse..... Now, I am assuming that in lower assist modes, I'll easily be abla to do that trip with power spare, and even in higher assist it should be ok. Were the bike derestricted, I could get there in under an hour - but would I be able to get there and back on an unrestricted bike (doing sensible speeds, say 20-22mph av) without needing a recharge?

And would that commute (3 times a week) actually be done better on a cheaper eBike (Cube Acid or similar at £1.5k) as the wear and tear on the Levo would soon add up to that? I really can't have both though, so might as well spend more now for something that does both that trip in more comfort, and the mtb stuff as well.....

you can get 2 x cube acids for the price of the levo and have money to spare for upgrades...like i did

the commuting acid has 47mm slick tyres and carbon forks, rear rack and bag

the weekend acid has 2.4" schwalbe tough toms, fox forks

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
If you can afford it, buy the one you want.
I have a Levo FSR Expert 2019 as commuter through a bike lease program (saved me quite some €€€€). Most of the colleagues bought a Stromer.
Mine is derestricted and I run beach tires (nobbies on pavement eat through the battery quite fast) on the stock wheels, and an extra set with nobbies.
About the same distance and circumstances as you. Easily 2 days without recharge (700Wh battery).
Maybe I'll install a removable side stand for commuting, as the bicycle park at the job is not equiped for eMTB.
So I have an all-in-one bike. Comfy for commuting and great for fun in the WE's.

Cost : replace your chain early, it wears quite fast due to the extra torque. Install a bigger chainring to avoid running on the small ones in the rear.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
@outerlimits said 50hrs, not miles but even so, 50hrs, really? First I've heard of this?
On Rockshox yes, they recommend a lower leg service every 50hrs, and a full service including air spring and dampener in the uppers every 200hrs. Air can service every 50hrs on the shock and full service every 200hrs.
I’ve seen the fast black wear off the shock shaft of a commuter that was not serviced in 9 months of riding 4000km. Just cause the shock cycled in the one spot so often on flat road riding.

Casey

Oct 31, 2018
Seattle, WA USA
@xcentric I’m planning a similar thing you are. 15 mi each way, about half will be power line trails (dirt/gravel) and the rest on pavement. I have a Expert on order with the 700wh battery and using Specializeds range calculator I should be able to ride 20mph (limit here is us) in turbo if I choose and still have plenty to spare. Since traffic is so bad in my area I will be able to save 10-15 min each way. I battled (internally) the same arguments that you read above. True it may not be the best use of the bike but I decided to go for it since it will be much more comfortable then a hard tail and I’ll be using for some enduro style trail rides as well. One bike and done! The maintenance and repair costs can’t be ignored though; but with my calculations I will spend about 1/2 of my car gas/maintenance savings on bike upkeep. I’ll still come out ahead $500-600 a year.
If you love your bike you’re much more likely to ride it. If you get a “commuter” instead would you start finding excuses to drive or take the train if conditions aren’t perfect??? Get a bike that makes you feel all tingly inside and you can’t go wrong!

I don't commute on my Levo but quite often ride into town for coffee or to get to and from nearby trails. It works great - just put the seat up high and lock out the rear shock (not really a lockout but helps). It will wear the tires and the handlebars can be awkward in tight spaces but it's still fun.

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
As long as your happy , I’ve gone from 8 bikes down to 2 , use my levo for work commute and everything , I’ve only kept my 29er hardtail for a Pub bike .
Yeah you wear stuff out but it gives you the excuse to buy new stuff .
I don’t see the point of spending 6 grand plus then not using it , live for today , you might die tomorrow! ?

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
I commute on mine every day (only 20 km 12 miles). Because I'm trying to keep fit I use just enough assist to stop myself sweating. plus I try to do 30 to 80km of forest riding a week. Just done 2000km on 13 charges. 150 km average (93m) per 500wh battery

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles