Is it time for a new Drivetrain?

Blakey

Sep 9, 2020
Mid Sussex, UK
Hey all,

I'm running a Cannondale Moterra 3 (see sig), with SRAM SX Eagle 12-speed drivetrain from new. 30 months and 5,000km old, riding mostly countryside trails, hills and some country lanes (tarmac) in southern England. I've had a couple of new chains in that time. Now I have bent my derailleur. I am wondering if it's time to change out to a new drivetrain entirely.

- Is it worth me replacing the derailleur (and chain as that is worn too)?
- Or should I go for an entirely new drivetrain?
- If new, do you guys have any suggestions on a good option?
- My local bike shop mechanic told me that perhaps a 10-speed would be a better option - something a bit more robust. Do you agree?
- Budget would be a max £500 including fitting, so I know I can't afford to go for one of these new-fangled wireless options.

Any advice really appreciated!

Thanks
Blakey

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just because you have bent the mech arm doesn't mean that you have to change the whole drive train, if you don't want to. But I suspect that you do want to change. In which case the general word here is that 10-speed is the way to go. Get as big a range cassette as you can 11-46 or 11-42 at the least. As your mechanic said, 10-speed is cheaper, tends to be a bit more robust, and more readily available when you need spares. Also, without that giant 51t gear at the back, impacts on rocks and shrubbery are fewer.

Besides new kit is always nice! :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles