Insurance Australia?

Boots3150

Sep 24, 2018
Melbourne
Ours are covered under our home and contents as Mobile Equipment with RACV.
I believe they are transitioning to a new "unspecified mobile equipment" version of this.
Piece of mind.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
I’m witH SGIC (home and contents) and my monthly payments went up by $40! This is for 2 bikes, mine and my wife’s, but needless to say, I’m shopping around!

@Boots3150 are you sure you are covered for the full replacement amount? A lot of places will say you’re covered but the fine print says only up to $1500 or so.

D

Deleted member 1478

I recently insured my $6k Merida for about a third of your quote - with Velosure.

They really are the best insurance co. I have ever dealt with. Scrupulously honest in my one claim experience and a pleasure to deal with.

Maybe my insurance premium is cheap because I already have 2 other bikes insured for some years with no claim and also I am an old fart only capable of riding to the shops (?).

Whatever, I can’t believe the $1000 quote? Might be worth ringing them to double check?

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Y
I recently insured my $6k Merida for about a third of your quote - with Velosure.

They really are the best insurance co. I have ever dealt with. Scrupulously honest in my one claim experience and a pleasure to deal with.

Maybe my insurance premium is cheap because I already have 2 other bikes insured for some years with no claim and also I am an old fart only capable of riding to the shops (?).

Whatever, I can’t believe the $1000 quote? Might be worth ringing them to double check?
Yeah I will give them a call tomorrow because something doesn't seem right there. They were the first link on Google so thought they might be a popular choice but wanted to see what others were doing.

My home insurance is almost up so I might ring around and see if any other company will cover the value of my bike. Most of them seem to have a 1500 limit

bikerider007

Nov 7, 2018
Norfolk
Y
Yeah I will give them a call tomorrow because something doesn't seem right there. They were the first link on Google so thought they might be a popular choice but wanted to see what others were doing.

My home insurance is almost up so I might ring around and see if any other company will cover the value of my bike. Most of them seem to have a 1500 limit

Dark blue sheep the first link is normally a link paid for by the company...

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
I just did a ‘quick-quote’ with Velosure. Came to around $500. That’s just for one bike so no dice, Velosure.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
In NZ i'm paying an extra $40 per month to have the ebike insured along with my contents on an agreed value (as opposed to market value which wouldn't have cost extra). I'm covered for both theft and crash damage and if the worst happens the payout would at least buy a new one!

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
So it looks like around 400 to 500 annual from most places. Seems a lot but I guess that's the price you pay for peace of mind. Will probably go for Velosure based on flatchat's feedback. Thanks guys

Boots3150

Sep 24, 2018
Melbourne
I’m witH SGIC (home and contents) and my monthly payments went up by $40! This is for 2 bikes, mine and my wife’s, but needless to say, I’m shopping around!

@Boots3150 are you sure you are covered for the full replacement amount? A lot of places will say you’re covered but the fine print says only up to $1500 or so.

~$150 for ~$7k ... and I think you can insure up to about $25k of unspecified mobile equipment. (With your home and contents)
So one day your bikes covered while in your car the next weekend your camping gear the next weekend your wife’s cameras.
Note, I told a mate about this and it took a couple of phone calls to find someone who knew about this aspect of their policy.
Remember everyone pays different amounts for insurance depending on which way the wind blows. One mans RACV is another mans QBE etc so phone around. good luck.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles