Info, question and attempt to gather 20+ interested folks that may want to change their Trek Fuel Exe bolts to Titanium ones

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
To anyone considering of changing the bolts to Titanium ones: Even though some are widely available, others are proprietary and impossible to find. At least not after enquiring among 20+ or so shops/businesses.

For example, a bolt that I believe everyone would like to replace, even if not replacing all of them, is the upper shock one. That bolt is just shy of 21mm head wide, kind of like having its washer incorporated with the bolt in one piece. Now, one could instead use a countersunk washer and bolt but, you guessed it right, M10 countersunk bolts are also impossible to find. According to my search anyway, let me know if you find otherwise. Which is a shame, because grade 5 Titanium countersunk bolts do satisfy the 17nm torque requirement of that bolt.

I did find a, very helpful, business "RaceTech Titanium" that is willing and able to make such bolt. But at small quantities of 2 or even 10 bolts, the charge is at least $75 per bolt.. I figured I shared this anyway in case anyone else is interested in changing their bolts and is willing to consider that route. I imagine that if there are at least 20 interested parties, the cost may go down to a more reasonable, though still expensive, $40 per bolt (just for those two bolts, the rest mentioned below are a lot cheaper).

The other bolts I at least was interested in were the rocker pivot and seatstay ones which are pretty common. Not their washers though, which I only found available at probolts. The good thing about them is that they are willing to paint any unpainted bolts to match against their existing colors. To be noted that RaceTech can create a bolt unpainted.

Hope that made sense and let us know? Kind of a long shot but hope some of this is helpful. I am not sure I would bother at this stage but this may be helpful for others. Some bolt specs below fyi:

1x lower bolt M8 x 1 x 60mm
4x Rocker Pivot and seatstay Screws are M6 X 1 X 25mm
4x Rocker pivot concave washer 4mm X 6.5mm
1x Main pivot and chainstay axle m8 X .5 X 80mm
1x main pivot and chainstay screw M8 X 1.25 X 35mm
1x main pivot and chain stay concave washer is 5mm X 9mm
2x upper shock bolts M10 x 1 x 19mm
1x lower shock bolt is M10 x 1 x 19mm
1x lower shock nut is M8x1.25x6.5

The screws are steel, coated in zinc, drive type is hex socket and head type is cone. The concave washers are alloy. The suspension bolts are alloy, hard anodized, hex socket and head type is flanged. The main pivot bolt/axle is alloy, alloy coated, hex socket, flanged.

A few of the companies contacted (apart from the above): Better Bolts, Allied Titanium, Dress Up Bolts, JD Customs USA, LordGun, TartyBikes, Luxon, Uber Bike Components, JAB Titanium Bolts.

BBFII

Nov 4, 2020
Madison Wisconsin
PROti has great options, LOVE their t25 interface and finish quality.
For me, it was less about gram saving and more about finish details. The M4 fasteners for downtube & guards save almost nothing in weight, but they look the part!

Motor bolts needed the heads turned down. and they DONT have the shoulder, so you could turn small washer for that.
The UPPER shock trunnion bolts I kept stock for the tricky reasons you mention.

Love to see how this goes on! Best of luck.
1667397086530.png
1667396806207.png
1667396793515.png

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Thanks. I personally am going for the look and maintenance and the upper shock bolt is right up there on both criteria. If I cannot get that one, I won't bother with anything else.

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
PROti has great options, LOVE their t25 interface and finish quality.
For me, it was less about gram saving and more about finish details. The M4 fasteners for downtube & guards save almost nothing in weight, but they look the part!

Motor bolts needed the heads turned down. and they DONT have the shoulder, so you could turn small washer for that.
The UPPER shock trunnion bolts I kept stock for the tricky reasons you mention.

Love to see how this goes on! Best of luck.
View attachment 100631 View attachment 100630 View attachment 100629
Fyi, I enquired about this with Proti who have a 300 piece minimum! Would you be in if we gathered 20+ folks for the upper shock bolt ?

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
Have these bults been fatigue and deformation tested so that they dont onform or break ?
Have seen many titanium upgrade bolts that breaks in diffrent ways .
If so , im intrested

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Have you seen such bolts break when bought from Probolts or Betterbolts? See update here:

Some bad and good news. The bad news is that none of the companies I contacted but one bothered replying, with the one that replied asking 100 pieces min. The good news is that the bolt was right under our nose all along! Well, sort of. It can be found at the below link, at a slightly different dimension (kit 1): M10 x 1 x 19.8mm, 23mm OD on the head. Ours is slightly narrower on the head and 19mm long. Nothing that a little grinder cannot handle I would think. It is slightly raised like ours to accommodate a bushing and pretty certain that part is same dimension. Hope this helps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles