Influence of Sponsored Riders

Does the brand of bike that a pro rider rides affect your choice of what to buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Looking for honest answers as to whether or not the brand of bike that a pro rider rides influences your purchasing decisions

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Brand of bike …no.
Brand of components …yes.

That's a super interesting differentiation - particularly if the racer/rider has freedom to choose. Of course, we have all probably heard stories of racers "re-stickering" or "de-stickering" their favorite components to avoid sponsor conflicts yet still ride what they like/want.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I look for a bike that I like the look of, has geometry that fits me, and has a wide range of 5* reviews (or at least 4* if I REALLY like the look of the bike). That became very important when I couldn't ride the bike before purchase*. So far, I haven't been disappointed.
Note* internet sale, pandemic, supply shortages......

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I look for a bike that I like the look of, has geometry that fits me, and has a wide range of 5* reviews (or at least 4* if I REALLY like the look of the bike). That became very important when I couldn't ride the bike before purchase*. So far, I haven't been disappointed.
Note* internet sale, pandemic, supply shortages......

Same - I think guys like @Rob Rides EMTB are *FAR* greater influencers on bike purchases than pros are.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That's a super interesting differentiation - particularly if the racer/rider has freedom to choose. Of course, we have all probably heard stories of racers "re-stickering" or "de-stickering" their favorite components to avoid sponsor conflicts yet still ride what they like/want.
Besides the obvious, I would consider the motor a component. But if the Santa Cruz had a Bosch motor I wouldn’t be riding a Trek Rail.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
nope..
this is a really interesting subject that I used to have to deal with a lot with guitars.
I endorsed players when I made guitars and studied the influence that the endorsees had on sales, it was minimal.

I could be wrong here but its more about advertising than influence, just so you keep seeing the brand and it doesnt get forgotten when you are making a purchasing decision.
possibly for younger riders it would matter but once you hit a certain age, these things are not a consideration when making a large purchase like an EMTB.

moreover, I think there is growing resentment among normal riders that so many influencers are getting so much free gear and punters are aware that they are funding those giveaways so are resentful that so many people in their social media (etc) sphere are paying nothing or getting paid to use it.

Last edited:

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

As a mindless poser desperately trying to look cool, I find that riding the same brand as a pro helps to boost my dismally low self esteem.

When I was looking for new kneepads, I couldn't figure out what to get. I was totally stumped. That evening I was sitting here drinking beer and watching YouTube videos. A guy in Sedona was wearing SixSixOne kneepads and riding epic trails. I thought to myself, "Self, you should be like that guy and get some SixSixOne's." So I ordered up a pair right then and there. I've been rocking them ever since. I may not ride well, but when I'm strutting around my truck all kitted out in my SixSixOnes, the shielas are totally impressed.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Are we really any older? Look at @Zimmerframe

We don’t really change! Zim rides like all of us, he knocks out the miles, he cares for the trails, he uses the motor, he does what the best of us does; Cares about the journey: The trail.
I ride to shred, my local trail caretakers are always dealing with mud riders and the people that don’t ride or die.

It’s not about the destination. It’s about the journey, who here has participated in the ‘no dig no ride’ concept?
It’s fine if you don’t, just buy a shovel for the boys that do? They don’t have arthritis and don’t think it’s gonna happen. We know and should show some love
For the kids that can dig.

I dig that.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No............scanning a number of sources ( reviews) usually reveals some similar comments but the real life experience of ownership by ordinary recreational riders is the most useful feedback ( forums/closed groups on FB).

That may not help with a new release but certainly says a lot about the brand and it is usually the case that brand characteristics persist.

Pytek23

Jul 18, 2020
Melton
Are we really any older? Look at @Zimmerframe

We don’t really change! Zim rides like all of us, he knocks out the miles, he cares for the trails, he uses the motor, he does what the best of us does; Cares about the journey: The trail.
I ride to shred, my local trail caretakers are always dealing with mud riders and the people that don’t ride or die.

It’s not about the destination. It’s about the journey, who here has participated in the ‘no dig no ride’ concept?
It’s fine if you don’t, just buy a shovel for the boys that do? They don’t have arthritis and don’t think it’s gonna happen. We know and should show some love
For the kids that can dig.
There is difference between having passion and being influenced by other people marketing contracts,thats all.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
All of my purchases have been based on spec sheets and on various end user (not pro) reviews. Pros are the opposite of who I’d listen to. And ads can’t reach me, I run multiple ad blockers. I’m not a pro, so pro users are actually a slight negative to me.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
As a mindless poser desperately trying to look cool, I find that riding the same brand as a pro helps to boost my dismally low self esteem.

When I was looking for new kneepads, I couldn't figure out what to get. I was totally stumped. That evening I was sitting here drinking beer and watching YouTube videos. A guy in Sedona was wearing SixSixOne kneepads and riding epic trails. I thought to myself, "Self, you should be like that guy and get some SixSixOne's." So I ordered up a pair right then and there. I've been rocking them ever since. I may not ride well, but when I'm strutting around my truck all kitted out in my SixSixOnes, the shielas are totally impressed.
Yes, I still have 661 Kyle Strait knee pads.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I can't recall the brand of my knee pads. I bought them because two non-pro riders did thoughtful reviews of them after months of usage, and talked about their positives and negatives. I would never buy something that had only positive feedback, because that's clearly paid for in some way.

psst!!!...

Mar 2, 2022
Portugal
In my case it doesnt. As I am not "afliate" to a pro and basically the most brands are represented so it doesnt make a diference if X is using specialized model z or Pole Voima. But videos of the people I normally listen to makes diference. Either bikes as much as parts.

Also I dont really care about the parts pros use as I dont know if they are their choice or contractual obligation.

Online magazine reviews and some influencers (the ones who influence me o_O) do impact my decision.

Besides these my friends feedback play a big role.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
In my case it doesnt. As I am not "afliate" to a pro and basically the most brands are represented so it doesnt make a diference if X is using specialized model z or Pole Voima. But videos of the people I normally listen to makes diference. Either bikes as much as parts.

Also I dont really care about the parts pros use as I dont know if they are their choice or contractual obligation.

Online magazine reviews and some influencers (the ones who influence me o_O) do impact my decision.

Besides these my friends feedback play a big role.
I' m very much the same as you
I have a Cube 140 and over the last year i've studed components influencer and i believe i've come up with the bike that suites my needs
The bike had to have a Bosch tho

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Not in the slightest. I couldn't even name a Trek or Specialized Pro rider.

I "follow" guys and cute girls who shred. What they're shredding on is immaterial.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
good players can play anything and sound good
good riders can ride anything a ride good, Sam Pilgrim demonstrates this frequently..
so.. yea, agreed
This is obviously true. Jack White goes out of his way to play shit guitars, haven't heard anyone complaining he's out of tune. So what though? Advertising works, it's well known that it works, study after study has proved it. Have to laugh at ppl queuing up to claim they're impervious to commercial persuasion. All those companies spending millions year after year, they should pop in here to be set straight. 😂

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I mostly try to ride the places that the pros ride, with the the bike and/or parts I can grab. If ever I meet a pro, I"ll eventually ask theyr opinions about brands and parts, eye in eye.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not really ..the brand dictated my choice of ebike ( Whyte) ..having had a great experience riding a T130rs mtb however a sponsored video of Guy Kesteven riding at Whinlatter sealed my choice ..
I don't religiously follow any pro rider ..and watch very few mtb videos ..

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I watch reviews but I am not influenced by anyone sponsored by a specific brand or frightened to speak out on things they did not like. I am mostly interested in how they rate the way the bike rides. After that I am guided more by function than form...........ie I value good engineering and design and not overly influenced by aesthetics. My choice for my last 2 bikes has been Whyte and I have been thoroughly impressed by both.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles