Import duty to the UK

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
these are the same arrangements that the UK implemented on January 1st. It means retailers in EU member states have to charge VAT on goods at the point of sale for ALL goods below 150 Euros when selling those goods to customers in other EU member states. A lot of countries are or have implemented those procedures to avoid loss of VAT revenue.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I was gonna go to Andorra next year and pick up a commencal, no vat Etc.
The savings would have covered the cost of the holiday

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
AFAIK, it doesn't work like that. You have to pay local VAT and reclaim it when you leave the country. There is an assumption that in order to have the requisite export paperwork it would have to be matched to import paperwork for the destination country, thus negating any saving.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Or get it posted & cross your fingers. I got away with it, I suspect due to the dysfunctional failed state I live in. ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I think you mean Glorious Sun-lit Uplands, don't you?

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
OK, so the uplands aren't so sunny after all. The friendly local postman dropped off a hefty old bill from DHL on Saturday for £1400. So I haven't got away with it after all. As it goes, I'm in the fortunate position that my company pays the bill so in that sense, I'm no worse off.

However a weird thing has cropped up. I've been charged VAT twice. Once on the bike purchase & again by DHL. From what I can glean, I should not have been charged VAT at all on the purchase, since it would be charged on import. Again, this isn't a huge thing for me, as if push comes to shove, I'll just reclaim the VAT through my business but I'm discussing it with the retailer & getting bland responses about custms duties & T&C's, so not expecting much of a result based on what's come back so far.

Clearly if you're buying privately from a remote supplier without recourse to the options I have then it lumps on a big chunk to the point of being prohibitively expensive. Food for thought. Still, it was nice while it lasted.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Good luck getting to even speak to someone at DHL.
What an absolute shower they are.
Took me months to get something duty-related sorted that they'd cocked up. You ring them and have a few options. If none of them apply to your situation you have no publicly available course of action.
Absolutely dreadful customer service, practically none-existent.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
On this occasion, I don't think DHL are at fault. AIUI, they are obliged to charge VAT on customs clearance. If they didn't then their operations would grind to a halt awaiting consignees to pay up. So they pay the duties, VAT etc. & deliver onwards. I had understood the drivers were supposed to take payment before delivery, hence why I thought I'd had a free pass but obvs not.

Deporvillage otoh appear to have effectively overcharged me £750 but as I say, I can get it all back one way or the other, the point being I'm fortunate to be able to do so but for someone else buying privately, it's a red flag.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles