Impact of California rain on my local trail

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im thinking some might be a little bemused by this thread! It all looks pretty normal if you live in the UK:D. It is pretty changeable here all year. Gales, loads of rain, sometimes hot, sometimes cold..............we call it weather:LOL:

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Im thinking some might be a little bemused by this thread! It all looks pretty normal if you live in the UK:D. It is pretty changeable here all year. Gales, loads of rain, sometimes hot, sometimes cold..............we call it weather:LOL:
I understand it may be UK “normal” like the 90+deg weather you had last year, I think folks here are just sharing with others the amount of “not normal” some of us have experienced the last few years and how it may have impacted trails and riding… as you say it’s all “weather”.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Tried to write a response to parts of this thread quite a few times. I keep failing, it's impossible not to come across as unforgivably rude. Utterly depressing on so many levels.

I hope nobody here is directly affected by the impacts of the unusual weather.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I understand it may be UK “normal” like the 90+deg weather you had last year, I think folks here are just sharing with others the amount of “not normal” some of us have experienced the last few years and how it may have impacted trails and riding… as you say it’s all “weather”.
Yes we did have a hot summer for a change last year.................90 degrees was a headline but probably in central London...low to mid 80s on occasion down here on the south Coast...............had that before as well. I was really commenting on the fact you seem to have a lot of maintained, if not engineered, trails and therefore notice when they get damaged. Most trails over here are just natural routes through heathland, moorland, forests etc or old byways, droves, bridleways etc so rarely the same one month to the next depending on the weather. Thats all part of the challenge really.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Another scientists viewpoints and findings:

Except Vinós is not a scientist. He's a doctor, a Neurobiologist IIRC. He's a crank. The mechanism behind global warming is well understood and uncontroversial except for cranks, crooks, and the misinformed. There's a reason you'd struggle to find a climate scientist to support his theories.

Not great company to be in.

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
The “global warming” ‘getting on with its thing’ in the West end of Kitzbühel today:

134E10DF-C7F7-4357-9011-8FBFBD387221.jpeg

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
It pains me to see that in this day and age there are folks that remain so uninformed that they don't know the difference between "weather" and "climate".

Let's get back to pics and discussion of this season's effects on California (or other) mtb trails.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Meanwhile the damage here in Santa Barbara County is pretty catastrophic. Very real possibility that many trails will be years from opening.

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
Meanwhile the damage here in Santa Barbara County is pretty catastrophic. Very real possibility that many trails will be years from opening.
What type of soil do you have in SBC? Up here in San Jose is mostly clay that takes forever to dry and completely jams up your bike if you try to ride through it. Sometimes you need to use a pressure washer to get it off your tires etc.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
What type of soil do you have in SBC? Up here in San Jose is mostly clay that takes forever to dry and completely jams up your bike if you try to ride through it. Sometimes you need to use a pressure washer to get it off your tires etc.
Head up to Pacifica… more trails and generally sandier, better draining. Just went over and rode there yesterday.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Not so much what type of soil as the near lack of it. It's steep here and many of trails run in the drainages.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles