Other I'm getting really good at breaking components

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Usually it's rear derailleurs but luckily this time it was my back SLX 4pot caliper- Yay!
I have recently swapped to 220mm rotors & wondering if there is any chance it could have been swapping to a bigger rotor & not what I really suspect the the problem is- my usual hamfistedness tightening it up.
Anyhoo I take it the mounting sizes would be the same between 2pot & 4pot? I'm going to go for a 2pot this time as I really love dragging the brakes. It is my second favourite activity behind shopping for new replacement parts

BTW WTF is it with having to add a prefix to the thread titles now? Why is THE Man trying to seperate us into tribes???

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
BTW WTF is it with having to add a prefix to the thread titles now? Why is THE Man trying to seperate us into tribes???
It's the same as having sub sections for each manufacturer - makes things easier to find which are relevant to what you are looking for.

The Spesh area has had them for a long time due to different models, I guess they're new to the Trek area with the introduction of the Fuel.

Don't break them ! :)

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Can you give us an idea of what you've broken?

You will need a new adaptor between frame and caliper if you are going up in rotor size, 2 and 4 pot mount in the same way.

A 4 pot will cope with brake dragging better because there's a larger surface area of pad material on the rotor, but 'comfort' braking is something you should try and avoid and learn to brake when you need to

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
The calliper broke at the mounting eye. I've bodged it for now & ordered a new 2 pot calliper.

A Lot of the tracks I ride either are rooty & steep making it difficult to find clear braking areas or the surface is loose & shaly & don't have a great deal of traction so my rear is locked up a fair amount of the time. I'm experimenting with the 2pot rear hoping it won't be quite so 'good'. I have read other threads & realise braking is a mad science. I've upped the rotor size to increase the heat dissapation & have lost the brake fade I had with the smaller rotors. It'll be an interesting experiment.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
At a guess I would say you've overtorqued the caliper bolt or possibly not seated the conical washers correctly resulting in uneven pressure on the caliper body. Sounds like you would benefit from brakes that have more modulation...I've found Shimano to be more on/off compared to my Hopes, for example. For sheer braking power Shimano are pretty good though. I think going to a 2-pot will just result in less power, more brake fade, and more hand fatigue

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles