Ibis Oso

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Photoshop is certainly possible, but the only bikes I know with a high swingarm like that (Siryon and Wolf Ridge) have a very different shape.

182B3768-C29D-4257-89E1-F18CEF067626.jpeg

3368B4C2-408B-4ED1-A55E-FDE3E21AB506.jpeg

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
They have done away with it completely by abandoning their iconic logo and headtube badge. Really don't understand how they could do that.

i guess the focus is on cost savings. A printed logo is said to be significantly cheaper than a riveted headtube badge

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Love it! Just the fact that your front chainring never can destroy your rear triangle like on a Trek Rail is pure love :) Them using Bosch over Shimano is also a big bonus.

Price - let's guess..... -One million space-bucks?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Shit, I really hoped Ibis first ebike would be a lightweight trail bike same as pivot SL in a eRipley flavour.

But it’s rather beefy enduro, heavy motor and questionable design… Not for me.

Well if it comes in at 49-50lbs with the Bosch motor and a 750wh battery I’d say that’s pretty damn good.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Bosch motors being what they are, we'd be lucky to see 53-54lbs.

One of the forum members on here has a Pole Voima size small, but has Fox 40’s and the bike is fully built and weighs 51lbs. Which has an alloy frame, the standard CX motor and 750wh battery. If that bike can be built to weigh 51lbs there’s no reason that Ibis couldn’t come in at 50lbs or even lighter looking at the frame design.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
New Bosch motor is only 150g heavier than the EP8? It's no Tq50 or Fazua but it's decent weight no?
That doesn't match what I'm seeing:
- Bosch 2023 Performance Line CX - Performance Line CX – The highest performance eBike drive – Bosch eBike Systems 6.4lbs/2.9kg
- Powertube 750 - The eBike battery: long range, low weight, easy to charge 9.5lbs/4.3kg

- EP8 - EP8 5.73lbs/2.6kg
-
Darfon/Narco 720wh battery (closest thing I could find) 8.4-8.6lbs/3.8-3.9kg
eBike Battery - All -eBike Battery-DARFON

This puts the Bosch around 700-750g heavier than the closest EP8 equivalent. Granted, this doesn't compare wiring harnesses and other ancilliary parts, but since they're a small fraction of the total it should be good enough for a rough order of magnitude.

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
That doesn't match what I'm seeing:
- Bosch 2023 Performance Line CX - Performance Line CX – The highest performance eBike drive – Bosch eBike Systems 6.4lbs/2.9kg
- Powertube 750 - The eBike battery: long range, low weight, easy to charge 9.5lbs/4.3kg

- EP8 - EP8 5.73lbs/2.6kg
-
Darfon/Narco 720wh battery (closest thing I could find) 8.4-8.6lbs/3.8-3.9kg
eBike Battery - All -eBike Battery-DARFON

This puts the Bosch around 700-750g heavier than the closest EP8 equivalent. Granted, this doesn't compare wiring harnesses and other ancilliary parts, but since they're a small fraction of the total it should be good enough for a rough order of magnitude.
There is a new Bosch motor Performance Line CX Race Limited Edition - Designed to Win Races

The Bosch 625wh battery = 3.5kg the shimano 630wh = 3.7kg.

I've never ridden a Bosch bike to be honest but on the whole they don't seem significantly heavier. I have a Shimano bike.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
As noted by @Alexbn921 , it's a limited-edition motor supposedly reserved for EWS-e, and even if Bosch is fibbing about the production run, that magnesium case has got to be crazy expensive to produce. Ibis is usually cost-competitive with other high-end brands, so I can't see them going that route even if it was available.

The Bosch 625wh battery = 3.5kg the shimano 630wh = 3.7kg.

I've never ridden a Bosch bike to be honest but on the whole they don't seem significantly heavier. I have a Shimano bike.
The Shimano 625 battery is indeed lighter by about 120g, but since Shimano doesn't make a 700+ wh battery and the third party batteries seem to have better power density, that seems to be more relevant.

Anyway, I'll drop the weight speculation and we can wait and see what happens on the 4th.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Magnesium seems to be widely used. It shouldnt be that expensive. E8000 and ep8's have mag cases. A lot of suspension fork lowers are mag as well
But crazy expensive if you only make a run of 500 units ..

Remember Brose went from ally (1.3) to Magnesium (2.1). Which was the cause of a lot of the issues they have. The bearings which were press fitted into an ally case had to be bonded into the mag case which has been a repetitive failure point. No idea how that fits with the bosch motor or if that would be relevant and something to look out for based on the design if the weight saving is achieved via ally to to mag ?

@Bearing Man ? You probably have more idea than us dumb dumbs - and the IBIS would be perfect for you.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
But crazy expensive if you only make a run of 500 units ..

Remember Brose went from ally (1.3) to Magnesium (2.1). Which was the cause of a lot of the issues they have. The bearings which were press fitted into an ally case had to be bonded into the mag case which has been a repetitive failure point. No idea how that fits with the bosch motor or if that would be relevant and something to look out for based on the design if the weight saving is achieved via ally to to mag ?

@Bearing Man ? You probably have more idea than us dumb dumbs - and the IBIS would be perfect for you.
I didnt know that about the brose. I wondercif the 500 units thing is a trial run? Us being the guinea pigs. If it works w/o issue, and thats the case(no pun intnd), it'll be much more than 500 id think

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bosch Gen4 is already magnesium housing.

"For example, Bosch has equipped its newly developed Performance Line CX 2020 engine with a magnesium housing that weighs around 25% less than its predecessor, at approximately 2.9 kg. The new engine allows mountain bike manufacturers to achieve better frame integration and shorter chainstays, which together with the weight reduction should make future models more agile and maneuverable."

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles