Rail (750Wh) I quick question about lights

johnboy68

Nov 1, 2022
USA
I have a new 2022 Trek Rail 9.8 XT. I would like to install a Magicshine light that uses the Rail's battery. I have seen videos where the 2021 Rails had a cable above the battery lock that could be used to install the light. Is that cable there in the new Rails with Smart System. Does the light need enabled in the dealer software or can it be done in the Flow App? Also, what's the max watts available? Sorry if these questions have already been answered.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Just me but I don’t want a permanent light mounted or that extra wire in the cockpit. But I generally don’t ride the road's in traffic at night.
The removable and rechargeable lights work for me. Trek has a decent system for mounting a wireless light to the stem. The usb chargeable lights seem pretty good and can be easily removed. I’ve removed the light wiring from all the bikes (Trek). There’s a dedicated connection on the motor that I’ve plugged with a proper silicone cap.

If I used the bikes in traffic on a regular basis I probably wouldn’t do this. I don’t know if the dealer needs to activate the light thru their system.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
You have to go to a dealer to enable lights. They are off ny default from Trek. Nothing to do with Bosch. But your dealer has to connect the bike with the diagnostic tool, then send a request to Trek to enable the feature. The cables are ready inside the frame as far as I Know

Trek_E9.8

Jul 12, 2022
About this light wire. I had an intermittent studder in peddling my 9.8 yesterday and then the bike shut off multiple times following restart. I limped the bike home and checked all wiring and removed the battery to get a better view of the wires on the backbone of the downtube. I noticed a wire was slacked alot so I pulled on it and it came out of the top behind the locking mech. It had a red and black and the wires were soldered but bare. Im guessing I found the light wire I didn't know existed. I think these bare ends were intermittently touching while riding and shorting out the motor or something. They did have some grease on them from the headset bearings which is conductive. I'm guessing these wires are powered up all the time?
Looking for answers and want to see if I can connect a light via a connector to a removable light on my bar.
Tjanks!!!

johnboy68

Nov 1, 2022
USA
About this light wire. I had an intermittent studder in peddling my 9.8 yesterday and then the bike shut off multiple times following restart. I limped the bike home and checked all wiring and removed the battery to get a better view of the wires on the backbone of the downtube. I noticed a wire was slacked alot so I pulled on it and it came out of the top behind the locking mech. It had a red and black and the wires were soldered but bare. Im guessing I found the light wire I didn't know existed. I think these bare ends were intermittently touching while riding and shorting out the motor or something. They did have some grease on them from the headset bearings which is conductive. I'm guessing these wires are powered up all the time?
Looking for answers and want to see if I can connect a light via a connector to a removable light on my bar.
Tjanks!!!
By default those wires are not powered on. You have to get them "turned on" by your dealer through the Bosch Diagnostic tool and an approval by Trek. I had the same situation happen to my bike. I must have put the battery in a little off and it pushed the bike to battery connector out of it's clips. I had to drop the motor and put that connector back into it's clips. From the down tube it looked fine but if you pushed on it, it was obvious it was not secure.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
By default those wires are not powered on. You have to get them "turned on" by your dealer through the Bosch Diagnostic tool and an approval by Trek. I had the same situation happen to my bike. I must have put the battery in a little off and it pushed the bike to battery connector out of it's clips. I had to drop the motor and put that connector back into it's clips. From the down tube it looked fine but if you pushed on it, it was obvious it was not secure.
I completely removed the light wires on all my Trek eBikes. The end of the wiring is generally bundled into the head tube for future use. The ends of the wires were exposed and subjected to shorting if the lights were activated. Removing the wiring also freed up a bit of space in the motor area. I used a proper silicone plug for the vacant motor connector.

It was very unlikely that I would use the bike battery to power any lighting system. Trek has a fairly good rechargeable lighting system that I use for my bar, helmet and seat post …when I need it.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
On my 2021 RAIL9.7 i pulled out the rubber plug on the right side of the fame up where the cables exit and with a flash light and hooked wire i found the light wire and pulled it out and connected it. A trip to the LBS and it all works perfect. the Lezyme 1000 is a good deal and works great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles