I like my new "normal" hardtail more than my EMTB!

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Maybe I'm mentally ill but since building my HT my EMTB is collecting dust!

sounds.jpg
biek.jpg
yump.jpg

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Fair enough mate. it looks sweet!
META yeah?
Thanks @Gary ! Means a lot coming from you ;)

Yup the new Meta HT.

Built her myself and very happy with the result. Was nervous I wouldn't enjoy the "harshness" of an HT but I think it's actually more fun because it brings mellow trails to life. It's a hoot having to carefully pick lines and being more active on top of the bike to smooth out the ride..it also climbs much much easier than my full long-travel enduro.

My cardio has definitely improved too, people may not want to hear it but it's near impossible to build any kind of reasonable fitness on an EMTB (motor on)

Going back to the FS EMTB feels like riding a sofa now :p:p

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Riding a nice light hardtail well is a lot more involing and dare i say it more rewarding. and yeah. your core and hips/thighs get a lot more workout smoothing out the ride while staying smooth on a hardtail.
It's become the norm for 140-170mm Enduro bikes to weigh 35lb. That's just too heavy to be fun everywhere IMO
new steeper seat tubes and massive cassettes go a little way towards making them acceptible climbers but the combination of their weight and their soft compound tyres makes them feel like tractors grinding our way to the top of climbs all day long. Whereas a nice light hardtail with faster lighter tyres feels so much better and even encourages you to get out the saddle. I don't even have low gears on my hardtail just a nice light 11-25 road cassette.
Totally agree about the fitness aspect too. Practically no one who settles for just riding Emtbs will have a powerful sprint or be able to reach and hold a high cadence.
Burly FS Enduro mtbs and Eebs definitely have their place and are still a lot of fun though.

Last edited:

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Riding a nice light hardtail well is a lot more involing and dare i say it more rewarding. and yeah. your core and hips/thighs get a lot more workout smoothing out the ride while staying smooth on a hardtail.
It's become the norm for 140-170mm Enduro bikes to weigh 35lb. That's just too heavy to be fun everywhere IMO
new steeper seat tubes and massive cassettes go a little way towards making them acceptible climbers but the compination of their weight and their soft compound tyres makes them feel like tractors grinding our way to the top of climbs all day long. Whereas a nice light hardtail with faster lighter tyres feels so much better and even encourages you to get out the saddle. I don't even have low gears on my hardtail just a nice light 11-15 road cassette.
totally agree about the fitness aspect too. No one who settles for just riding Emtbs will have a powerful sprint or be able to reach and hold a high cadence.
Burly FS Enduro mtbs and Eebs definitely have their place and are still a lot of fun though.

100%

The EMTB is great to have in the quiver for the day after a hard HT ride when I feel blown out

I went with a 12spd only because I assumed I'd need the big 51t which turns I don't but it's nice to know it's there for gut busters. I sit mid cassette on most climbs. It's such a great feeling when you're able to keep flowing on the ups.

Side comment: This is also my first Shimano drive terrain. AMAZING! Shifts are so crisp and clean - makes me want to throw the Sram on my other bikes into the trash!

AlexE3

May 13, 2022
Earth
New bikes are the best and any other bike within 100 miles of your new bike for the next month is a dust collecting, good for nothing, hunk o' junk. That bike soars majestically through the air.
You could also be mentally ill, I'm not prepared to rule that out just yet.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I'm the opposite I am getting almost 3 times the miles in, longer out in the fresh air and seeing a lot more. Only use hardtail riding with children which is not often now they are getting older. Any other time will only be E-Bike loving it so much.

tinybiker

Jul 11, 2022
US
new steeper seat tubes and massive cassettes go a little wa
y towards making them acceptible climbers but the combination of their weight and their soft compound tyres makes them feel like tractors grinding our way to the top of climbs all day long. Whereas a nice light hardtail with faster lighter tyres feels so much better and even encourages you to get out the saddle. I don't even have low gears on my hardtail just a nice light 11-25 road cassette.
Totally agree about the fitness aspect too. Practically no one who settles for just riding Emtbs will have a powerful sprint or be able to reach and hold a high cadence.
Totally agree about the sprint level. I love riding my hardtail and sometimes I feel like I am dying from tiredness but it is definitely worth it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles