I finally picked up my ebike?

Crashley84

Nov 15, 2020
Wales
So after 10 months of being messed about with my orders, delayed deliveries, cancelled orders etc I have finally got my hands on my new bike.
I can now say I am the very proud owner of a Whyte e-160RS.
Absolutely buzzing today.
Any suggestions on setup or adjustments are more than welcome.
The only question I really have at the moment is regarding a water bottle and holder.....I know I need a small bottle and holder so am I worth buying the side load cage direct from Whyte and a small bottle or do you guys/girls have any other tried and tested options?
Cheers
Ashley

20210819_123237.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Hi Crashley ..great choice of bike ..I have the same ..which I have ridden stock since getting it last September ..
No real tips ..but once you have the suspension set up just leave it fully open as you have enough power from the motor to just blatter through almost anything and there really is no need to " lock -out " on climbs ..
By far the best bike I have ever owned & ridden and bought it blind after coming from the T130rs ..
It continues to amaze in terms of its capability ..
Enjoy ..

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
I e got the E180s and had the same query about the water bottle/cage. I prefer to take a bottle on short rides, but use a bladder for longer rides.
Not sure which cage fits my frame.

One suggestion I'd make is use the rockshox trail head app to help with a base setup for your forks. Mine suggested 82psi and 6 clicks from fast on rebound. It was pretty decent.
No setting available for shocks though.

Ive only had a couple of rides on mine so far, but seems very capable. Bit of fork trouble at the moment tho and having to have a warranty repair ?.

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
You do not need a water bottle with an ebike. I do not anyway. Ebike is so much more fun and less strenuous. Just hydrate well before riding.

Crashley84

Nov 15, 2020
Wales
Thanks for the replies guys, believe it or not I've still not managed to get out yet?
Tomorrow hopefully?
I like having a bottle on the shorter rides so that's my thought process there but to be honest my back pack is small enough to not annoy me so may end up sticking with that.
Will have a look to see if there is a base setup for the fox 38's on this, seems a good way to start anyway.
Will update with some pictures and thoughts after my ride.
Cheers

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
You do not need a water bottle with an ebike. I do not anyway. Ebike is so much more fun and less strenuous. Just hydrate well before riding.
Cant really agree with you there ..( I use a bladder ..not a bottle) ..on the point of not needing to hydrate while riding ..that really all depends on temperature / humidity and the length of ride ..true that I probably drink less on an ebike ..but a little irresponsible to say that you dont need to drink at all ..

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
I’ve got a 150rs and haven’t changed a thing other than the standard suspension tweaks. Great specs package. Awesome bike, of which I’ve no doubt the 160rs will also have you grinning from ear to ear. The Fidlock 450 magnetic bottle works perfectly backed up by a bladder for the longer rides

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Cant really agree with you there ..( I use a bladder ..not a bottle) ..on the point of not needing to hydrate while riding ..that really all depends on temperature / humidity and the length of ride ..true that I probably drink less on an ebike ..but a little irresponsible to say that you dont need to drink at all ..
Same here, I always put my camelbak on every ride as well as offering some back protection I feel so much better knowing I have a drink on board. I don’t always drink it all but always drink some of it. (y)

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
I've got a medium 150rs and the whyte switch cage and 500ml bottle work perfectly. Do like a bladder for longer rides but at Surrey hills normally close enough to the car to refill.

Amazon have an xlc side load cage that looks identical, probably going to get one for my sommet.

The guy who says you don't need a bottle isn't riding hard enough...

Jul 4, 2020
Surrey
Side loader cage and spare bottle in backpack, often in a three hour spin don’t need the backpack one but nice to know it is there. Tried a bladder and found it too much hassle.

Lovely looking bike, will never be that clean again…

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I like having a bottle on the shorter rides so that's my thought process there but to be honest my back pack is small enough to not annoy me so may end up sticking with that.

My Ibis is set up with a shock that interferes with water bottles. I installed an Arundel sideloader cage and use a short bottle. At first it seemed weird, but I ride some pretty rugged terrain, and it's never once dropped a bottle. I think one of the cool features of eMTB's that isn't discussed much, is you can ride twice as far before needing a Camelbak.

Of course this discussion is moot if you don't ride the bike. It's Saturday, dawg! Get out and ride!

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
There’s too many variables to generalise and say that eBike riders drink less water than mtb riders. How do you ride? How much of your ride is powered, etc etc.

I ride switched off most of the time. I run out of water, I crash, and push myself harder than I should. But can’t get enough. Do what makes you happy.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Guess it depends where/how you ride. In 30°C heat with 700m of climbing and 30km of riding technical terrain I go through a fair bit of water, even with hydrating prior to a ride. I only use boost on steep sections to conserve power so perhaps riding harder. If I'm at an MTB trail park with shorter loops, I'll just go back to car for another bottle. If not, I have a hip pack which works great.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
So after 10 months of being messed about with my orders, delayed deliveries, cancelled orders etc I have finally got my hands on my new bike.
I can now say I am the very proud owner of a Whyte e-160RS.
Absolutely buzzing today.
Any suggestions on setup or adjustments are more than welcome.
The only question I really have at the moment is regarding a water bottle and holder.....I know I need a small bottle and holder so am I worth buying the side load cage direct from Whyte and a small bottle or do you guys/girls have any other tried and tested options?
Cheers
Ashley

View attachment 69340
I have E160 and use this water bottle:
it has the lowest bottle height for the volume that I could find, which gave me enough clearance to the shock. cheap too.
I coupled it with a lezyne side loading cage, but any side loader will do.

Crashley84

Nov 15, 2020
Wales
I have E160 and use this water bottle:
it has the lowest bottle height for the volume that I could find, which gave me enough clearance to the shock. cheap too.
I coupled it with a lezyne side loading cage, but any side loader will do.

Thanks mate, will have a look at this.
Just remembered I have a lazy side load cage on my old bike so will see if that fits with enough space to charge the bike ?

Crashley84

Nov 15, 2020
Wales
So, 1st ride out and wow....what a bike!
Rode most of it in eco and emtb mode and did 3 climbs/drops at my local spot in the time I would normally have managed 1.
Just given her a quick clean (sounds like I've got some crap in the pads/discs now but could just be where its still wet) and tucked her up in bed for the night?
Lots more riding and tweaking to come but for now I'm a happy man.

Crashley84

Nov 15, 2020
Wales
I am loving everything about this bike.
Went up to bikepark Wales this morning for a little spin with a mate of mine, he was riding a canyon with ep8 motor and 504wh battery so fancied a bit of a comparison.
After just shy of 30km riding, I still have around 10 miles left of charge.....the Canyon however died on our final climb?
The only disappointment about today has been the constant rock strikes? I stupidly didn't get invisiframe fitted and now have a few scratches near the rear. From previous experience with invisiframe, I don't think this area would have been protected anyway ?‍♂️ so will try and get a colour match on the paint and a touch up pen.
I did also notice that I was catching my pedals all the time on rocks etc, just have to adapt my riding style to suit the RS I guess.
Now it's time for a good clean.

Screenshot_20210829-145313_Strava.jpg

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK

I posted this on another thread - the YT Thirstmaster 2000. I ordered the YT Decoy and couldn't wait, but bought some bits. This is it on my 180RS...

Unknown 14.08.34.jpeg

Crashley84

Nov 15, 2020
Wales
20220505_114119.jpg

So I've been in isolation this week with Covid so took the opportunity to clean the bike for the 1st time this year.
I've only been out twice this year but both times the weather has been horrific and rather than clean it after my ride I had just put it away in the garage and left it.
After this I remembered how bad my brakes have felt so I ordered a bleed kit in the hope that I can sort them out🤞

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles