• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

I could use some help deciding between three eMTB options

forestenjoyer

Jan 18, 2023
Sweden
I have narrowed by eMTB search to three options but I can't decide between them. I am also not very knowledgeable about bicycles in general but I have done some basic research about the parts.

All bikes are pretty much in the same price range so it comes down to which bike has better components? Unfortunately I cannot test drive any of these.

Canyon Torque ON 7​
Focus JAM2 7.8​
CUBE Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Pro 625​
Frame​
Aluminum​
Aluminum​
Aluminum​
Rearshock​
RockShox Super Deluxe Select, 250x70​
RockShox Deluxe Select, 210/55 mm, hardware: 25.0 x 8.0 mm, no Bushing​
RockShox Deluxe Select, 205x60 mm​
Fork​
Rockshox ZEB R, 180mm​
RockShox 35 Gold RL 29 Boost, 110×15 mm​
RockShox Recon Silver RL Air, Tapered, 15x110 mm​
Motor​
Shimano EP8​
Shimano EP8​
Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4​
Battery​
Shimano BT-E8035​
720Wh​
Bosch PowerTube 625​
Rear Derailleur​
Shimano Deore, 12-speed​
Shimano SLX M7100, 12-speed​
Shimano Deore RD-M5100-SGS, 11-speed​
Shift Lever​
Shimano Deore M6100 12speed​
Shimano Deore SL-M5100​
Cassette​
RaceFace AR30 Offset and Shimano MT410 15×110​
Shimano Deore CS-M5100, 11-51T​
Disc Brake​
Shimano Deore M6120​
Shimano MT520​
203 mm/203 mm​
Brake Rotor​
Shimano Center Lock Bremsscheibe 220mm SM-RT64​
Magura MT Thirty​
Brake Rotor Rear​
Shimano EM600 STEPS rear rotor​
Magura MT Thirty​
Crank​
SHIMANO STEPS E-MTB​
Samox​
ACID E-Crank​

I plan to use this as a daily driver to get to work as well as occasionally (probably weekly) to go to a bike park or a trail.

Last edited:

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
That's a question we all face 🤔
I am a bosch man personally as I like the fact they are serviceable. I believe the shimano motors are not.
If you go with the shimano motor then the canyon has the better suspension which to me is better than having the better drivechain on the focus.
I know nothing about the canyon but a mate got rid of his focus and bought the cube which he loves.
Ideally you need to ride them.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I always look at the fork - a half decent fork is going to have way more of an impact on the quality of your ride than say XT over Deore mech.

Then motor... I'll get stoned but I still don't think Shimano is a sensible offering when you consider support.

So initially I'd have said the Canyon but on reflection, I'd probably go with the Cube.
The only thing I'd worry about with the Cube is aftersale value as they don't seem to be the most popular manufacturer.

Nah, I can't the fork on the Cube is that bad that I'd still go with the Canyon even though it's EP8.

Are you open to other suggestions? I'd consider a used Levo for example - carbon or ally...

forestenjoyer

Jan 18, 2023
Sweden
Thanks for the help. I have a price cap of around 4900 euros and it can't be used.
I am open to other options as well but from those I think that I would go with the Canyon

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
There's some good deals around on Cubes at the moment, I've just bought the 160. Some models have been discounted by up to 1k, if you shop around and if you really don't like the fork you could change it using the money saved
It's also good to buy local in case you have issues as some problems can't be fixed at home

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Which one has your closest dealer is my first decider then motor ,geometry,spec etc etc
Problem is You are going to get a mixed array of answers here but ultimately you are the rider and if your that unsure you need a test ride .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have narrowed by eMTB search to three options but I can't decide between them. I am also not very knowledgeable about bicycles in general but I have done some basic research about the parts.

All bikes are pretty much in the same price range so it comes down to which bike has better components? Unfortunately I cannot test drive any of these.

Canyon Torque ON 7​
Focus JAM2 7.8​
CUBE Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Pro 625​
Frame​
Aluminum​
Aluminum​
Aluminum​
Rearshock​
RockShox Super Deluxe Select, 250x70​
RockShox Deluxe Select, 210/55 mm, hardware: 25.0 x 8.0 mm, no Bushing​
RockShox Deluxe Select, 205x60 mm​
Fork​
Rockshox ZEB R, 180mm​
RockShox 35 Gold RL 29 Boost, 110×15 mm​
RockShox Recon Silver RL Air, Tapered, 15x110 mm​
Motor​
Shimano EP8​
Shimano EP8​
Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4​
Battery​
Shimano BT-E8035​
720Wh​
Bosch PowerTube 625​
Rear Derailleur​
Shimano Deore, 12-speed​
Shimano Deore RD-M5100-SGS, 11-speed​
Shift Lever​
Shimano Deore SL-M5100​
Cassette​
RaceFace AR30 Offset and Shimano MT410 15×110​
Shimano Deore CS-M5100, 11-51T​
Disc Brake​
Shimano Deore M6120​
Shimano MT520​
203 mm/203 mm​
Brake Rotor​
Shimano Center Lock Bremsscheibe 220mm SM-RT64​
Magura MT Thirty​
Brake Rotor Rear​
Shimano EM600 STEPS rear rotor​
Magura MT Thirty​
Crank​
SHIMANO STEPS E-MTB​
Samox​
ACID E-Crank​

I plan to use this as a daily driver to get to work as well as occasionally (probably weekly) to go to a bike park or a trail.
The key phrase from your post is your planned use - "I plan to use this as a daily driver to get to work as well as occasionally (probably weekly) to go to a bike park or a trail."
It is hard enough pedalling tarmac on a 160mm travel bike with my max grip tyres (2.5"F / 2.6"R). How hard is it going to be on the Canyon? At least I have a 29er up front.
I have never ridden a CUBE, but I too don't like the fork.
I have used Shimano motors for 4 years now, the old e8000 and the new EP8 and I have zero complaints. If you want a natural riding experience that's the motor to go for.
Therefore my vote would go for the Focus. Decent fork, 29er and 150mm travel, more Trail than Enduro, Shimano EP8 and a big battery! Don't forget to set up the motor with your eTube app. You can set it up in two switchable modes, one for commuting and one for the weekends. Get the dealer to illustrate or ask on here.

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
Can't say anything much about other then focus. Got mine XL for around 1 month. Quality is good. Is very comfortable for trail. I hade made some mods. I replaced stock fork and damper also for RS but one thing to keep in mind. Focus use new standard steerer tube 1.8" taper. It can be switch to standard 1.5" taper by buying this part from acros - zs66 headset lower part, link below. Another thing focus use CIS system to keep kables route clean. I do not like it but it looks really clean. I also replace it with the part from acros. Next thing max weight permitted is 150kg, it also allow to connect the trailer and actually all is there fot it. Battery is removable and connection port and charger port is the same protected by rubber, magnet seal.

IMG_20221221_104432.jpg

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I think your use is the key factor. These are not commuting bikes. The huge travel is going to not be an asset commuting to work. Since your use is skewed heavily to daily commuting I would say none are ideal.
The 180mm travel Canyon is clearly an Enduro bike designed for dropping down steep technical downhills. A trail bike typically has 130-150mm of travel and a Cross Country bike 100-120mm of travel. A pavement commuter might not have any suspension at all.
So what kind of weekend riding do you do at the "bike park". Are you willing to sacrifice the best features for commuting for your weekend riding?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles