Hydraulic gears ?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
The main issue with most if not all current gearbox systems, either bb or hub mounted, is that you cant change gear under load. Irrelevant of the motor, the moment someone comes up with a relatively lightweight BB base gearbox that can shift under load, and doesn't rely on a grip shift type shifter, it will change the MTB industry overnight.

The Mubea uses this gear box, shifts under load, coasting or stopped and can use a SRAM trigger shifter.

Effigear⎮Bicycle Gearbox⎪Boîte de vitesses vélo⎪France | LA BOÎTE En

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
The main issue with most if not all current gearbox systems, either bb or hub mounted, is that you cant change gear under load.

Not true with any solution based on continuously variable planetary (CVP) gearboxes - like the NuVinci 380 for instance.
Continental presented an eBike motor on Eurobike with an internal NuVinci gearbox that does manual or automatic gearing. Too bad it's so heavy...

First ride: Continental 48V mid motor system with automatic gearing

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
there used to be a car, a DAF i think that had an auto box based on a sliding belt as the car went faster the belt slid to the narrower side on a drive which was cone-shaped no gear changes just seamless drive action. I wonder if that could be implemented in an e bike

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
there used to be a car, a DAF i think that had an auto box based on a sliding belt as the car went faster the belt slid to the narrower side on a drive which was cone-shaped no gear changes just seamless drive action. I wonder if that could be implemented in an e bike

Functionaly that's exactly what a continuously variable planetary (CVP) gearbox does. Continental just presented an eBike motor with an internal continuously variable planetary (CVP) gearbox (see previous post).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Yes we already discussed that earlier in thread, but a CVP is a different concept to manual gears

It's gears nonetheless, from easy to hard gear (with a 380% variation in the case of NuVinci 380). We don't really need gear 1, gear 2, etc, we need gering from easy climbing gears to high speed gears. If they are continuosly variable is even better, you can ALWAYS be in the right gear for the situation and they shift easily during load.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My experience of CVP/CVT in cars and motorbikes is that the gear the gearbox thinks you need is quite often not the one you want! If it can be made to work, brilliant.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
We need to get the derallier hanging gubbins higher up away from the ground .
Silly question ..could the mechanism be mounted above the cassett? Must have alook in the morning.
Trouble with EMTB development is I now want another bike.......:LOL:
Yes! Just need to pedal backwards :oops:. Although, that presents another problem...o_O, well at least a couple of problems...Silly idea.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My erotic dream has arrived ....just needs full suss......Gimmi Gimmi Gimmi
goexpo2020-osasto-revonte-r1-min.jpg

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
The Mubea uses this gear box, shifts under load, coasting or stopped and can use a SRAM trigger shifter.

Effigear⎮Bicycle Gearbox⎪Boîte de vitesses vélo⎪France | LA BOÎTE En
This looks like a motorcycle gearbox to me, which seems a good place to start. I wonder if they'll get off of the ground? Having owned an alfine and a rohloff I'm not a fan of the planetary gear based solutions in their current form so always keeping my eyes open for something better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles