Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
30C4460C-C9DD-41AA-B62E-8AA555F8FAD4.png

Product name: Hustle REMtech Avery Magnetic Peddles
Price paid: $219.00 USD
Score (out of 10): 9.5

Review: The designers and users of these magnetic peddles, at Hustle Bike Labs, are well aware of the benefits of using this system of magnets to secure our MTB shoe to the peddle. I’m aware of the benefits. I’ve used all 4 of the peddle-to-shoe engagements. Clips, Clipless, Flats and finally Magnetic. Since I was 8 years old, bare feet was no longer an option I enjoyed as I progressed to faster and better bikes.
I’ve used magnetic peddles for the past 3 years and installed them on my other bikes. I’ve also worn out the bearings and/or spindle on 2 sets of other magnetic peddles. The time was right to try out a different manufacturers product.
I found REMTech magnetic peddles online and did my research before I ordered a pair. The logistics of delivery wasn’t setup yet for a Colorado US to Coquitlam Canada purchase, but within days, as per my request, they were good to go. I received the Hustle Avery peddles in about a week and a half.
70DACB0C-AED0-4674-B82A-80C9E434BD14.jpeg

What can I say about the packaging? Nice! Well packaged, everything included. Spare pins of different lengths, a small tool, instructions, stickers, shims, shoe plates, spd hardware, REMTech peddles and a personal “welcome” note. 😉
A5335DED-FA77-4D6F-B3D4-ED4064807FAF.jpeg

Installing the peddles are fairly straight forward if you’re familiar with this step. A little bit of grease on the threads and apply the correct torque for both left and right peddles. I use crank boots (Sram) and the axle fit was good. I also retained the metal “O” ring and added a small amount of grease.
F29D4AD2-747D-4770-9B4C-1AEBC8CA9E13.jpeg

Now I needed to install the metal plate to my shoe using the spd hardware but, I had to remove the old plates first. These we seized in place but a dremel-tool helped …and destroyed the old plates.
I installed the new RemTech metal plates into the spd area with some added grease which may avoid a future disaster. Once I positioned the shim, and aligned the plates correctly, I applied sufficient torque to the spd screws.
ACE08133-2A67-446B-85E0-572B9E4FEEC4.jpeg

98AF5849-2179-40CE-B79C-8B22DA460A6E.jpeg

Ready for a test ride.
I wasn’t sure what to expect. The initial engagement of the Hustle peddle system seemed similar to other manufacturers magnetic systems but, the alignment was better, positive, accurate …it seemed better. This doesn’t seem like much but it’s definitely important to me. I was also able to slightly align my foot depending on the current terrain.
Releasing my foot from the peddle during a ride was fast and easy. It’s almost effortless …it’s difficult to explain. Yet I still have a sense and feel of attachment while I’m riding. These magnets are strong …in the right direction.
So this review is starting to sound like a push towards magnetic peddles. It’s not. They may not be for everyone. I’m more impressed with the technology applied to the RemTech magnetic peddles. They seem to be a step above other magnetic peddle manufacturers. A floating magnetic double sided peddle with seemingly better axle bearings.
9794AF92-212B-4F52-9976-D740B586A782.png

So it might take a few years to wear out the Hustle magnetic peddles, or I could accidentally smash them on a rock tomorrow. Regardless, I’ll probably add a set of Avery REMTech magnetic peddles to the other bikes in the stable.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I remember reading a review of other magnetic pedals where you could adjust the position of the pedal magnet as required, is this possible on these or is not needed?
Do you feel more secured on these?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I remember reading a review of other magnetic pedals where you could adjust the position of the pedal magnet as required, is this possible on these or is not needed?
Forget all that, look at the pictures, you can ride along the trails and they'll pick up lost MTB shoes ! They'll pay for themselves in weeks !

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I think the only adjustment you need is on the metal plate which attaches to the sole of your shoe via spd hardware. There are some magnetic peddles which offer different strengths of magnets but eventually I used the strongest strength. These peddles do not have different strength magnets. But the magnets are floating which allows slight movements or alignment on the initial engagement.

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
I have the magped, They seem to be working well, you do need to consider them when you put your foot on them but they stay fairly well in place, bit harder than flats to adjust foot position. These do have height adjustment so the magnet engages better. Had no issues in the mud the other day either.
I would not call them game changing but just another step forward if bouncing of your pedals annoys you

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That seems pretty cool! 100lbs per pedal 🤔 I wonder how hard you can pull up with your feet on a jump before losing connection. Especially on a heavy ebike.
I don’t really know how to measure the strength of magnets but 100lbs per peddle seems about right …could be more. If I could clip in and out safely and quickly, I probably would’ve never seen the need for magnetic peddles. I tried flats at first and that was a disaster. My foot would unexpectedly fly off in rock gardens and an up-stroke was impossible. Doing a drop or small jump would freak-me-out. And each time my left foot fell off I would practically have to stop, or at least look at the position and placement of my left foot. It was rediculous.
Now the action of both feet are almost synonymous. (This is really difficult to explain in words). Quickly finding my peddle is easy and an audible click is a bonus for knowing that my feet are engaged. The final position of my foot is better with this brand of magnetic peddle and less fine adjustment is needed in order to feel comfortable.
I can only think of 5(maybe) accidental disengagements in the past 3 years but not once has my foot(s) remained attached after a crash. As far as lifting a 50lb bike during a jump or hop…I guess it comes down to technique. I’m use to these…the same way I became use to being clipped in when I got rid of the toe-strap clips. (When I had road and gravel bikes).
MTBing can be a dangerous sport. But for me it’s not as dangerous as trying to ride with vehicle traffic. I am no longer allowed to drive a car because of vision/neurological and other medical issues. (It’s a long story). So racing down a mountain at stupid-speed it is. 😎😅

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Be advised that magnetic pedals will NOT work with the new Bosch Gen4 motor with the rim magnet set up.
They cause the speed to fluctuate all over the place due to it sensing the pedals magnets. Doing hill climbs the motor will occasionally shut down(dangerous on tech climbs) because it’s seeing speeds over the limiter, due to the pedals rotating at a faster speed than the rim magnet.
I then rode with no rim magnet at all, which was showing a very fluctuating speed, but able to ride. Approx a mile or two into my ride the motor shut off with an error code on the screen. I had to power off/on and put the rim magnet back on, to complete my ride.
Now I have to either reprogram my motor for a rotor magnet and run a reed wire on the chain stay, or go back to clip-less pedals!….I don’t prefer flats. Which sucks because I enjoyed the Hustle magnetic pedals! (I bought two sets and have ran them on my Levo for a year now.)

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have the rotor magnet for speed sensing and probably the reed switch, which goes to the motor. (Bosch gen4). I’ve had no issues while using the Avery Hustle or Magped’s.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
However, working close to the peddle with an Allen key can be interesting …suddenly your tool is stuck to the peddle 😆

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I have the rotor magnet for speed sensing and probably the reed switch, which goes to the motor. (Bosch gen4). I’ve had no issues while using the Avery Hustle or Magped’s.
Correct. It’s just the Bosch Rim Magnet setup that has issues. Because the pedals are rotating to close to where the rim magnet passes by the motor sensor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles