How to ship a e bike

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I need to ship 2e bikes from France to usa.
Any recommendations?
I did this from UK to Australia…
I sold the battery in the UK and walked into a shop and purchased a new one in Australia then took the bike with me on the plane.
It was basically a 1:1 exchange, I wouldn’t bother transporting the battery.

Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
A lot of airlines allow 1 extra, oversized, sports item per person, just need to read the fine print.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
They also require all Lithium-ion batteries be to be in your hand luggage, where they will be X-rayed at security and probably be tossed in the bin*. I do accept that airport security varies across the world and what you might get away with at one airport in one country, you will not elsewhere.

They took my £7 pain-killing gel from me and tossed that, just think how gleeful they will be at tossing a £600 battery!

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
I just did it from Newark New Jersey to Paris 5 months ago, had my LBS box them up and carried on the batteries (3 for 2 bikes) The airline included the bikes in the very expensive ticket price, and informed me the batteries were okay carry on. Security in the USA did stop me though, was sketch for a minute,

La Compagnie - New York, Paris

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Either way
OK, I was going to say that you cannot take the batteries, but @BigMark just told a different story. It is a surprise for me that they let someone board a plane carrying not just one, but three ebike batteries!!!
You should look after the "special luggage" instructions of the airline you choose. I know airfrance is bike friendly, some other airlines are not. They may have fees for the excess dimension and also for excess weight, some companies do not charge extra if you pack the bike within the 23 kilos weight, they just require that you advise in advance that you are going to ship a bike.
When I brought my ebike to Brazil, from Nantes, I managed to send the battery via french post, I had it packed on the original box, and at the post office there where two ladies, a trainee and her supervisor, though the supervisor said "no way", the trainee searched the book and told it would be possible since it was on the original box.
Good luck, and please give feedback about how your travel succeeded.

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
Subscribed to find out if you shipped the bike and the least expensive way to do so. I am trying to buy a bike from Europe and have it sent to the US. The company does not ship outside of EU.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles