• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered How to negotiate a good discount when buying a new bike

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ok , you got me :confused: Five Finger ?
:eek:
07E7E92D-0E97-4E65-904F-AFFB70B8F59C.jpeg

Hedge Monkey

Feb 25, 2018
Uk
Well I tried just being nice
Sounds sad but in my deal I got no discount.....
But they did give in to
My levo having tubes removed
Up graded peddles £50 sealed bearings
Full set up and fit for me.
Also the customer service from my local dealer
I may be wrong but All pricing on e bikes seams very competitive so maybe adding stuff rather than taking off their bottom line maybe the way forward

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
From the shop's point of view, £50 of free stuff is better than £50 off, especially if they can hit the rep for a discount on replacement stock.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
join the british cycling association lots of places give between 10% and 15% off on production of membership card and 15% off a 4.5k bike is not to be missed

Hudson

Sep 8, 2018
PNW
Didn’t have to haggle, got 30% off a new 2018 Levo Comp because the new 2019 one was two weeks away and the dealer wanted the old stock gone. My company kicks in an $800 fitness equipment allowance, making my net price for the bike almost 50% off. Couldn’t say no at $3k

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
I think it depends on the country. In Spain it's usual getting between 10-25% discount depending on the season. Even,some shops change you some parts,paying the difference
I can guess,in other countries they don't use to make discounts

Alan wolfe

Oct 10, 2018
Ffgjh
Any tips for getting a good discount?
Just ask polite say have look online try not to look over enthuastic about bike. I went into cycle republic had look ktm macina kapoho 274 2018 model price full £3700 discount of 20% got it for £2700 plus free set of dmr v12 pedals and half price full service in years time.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
My local bike shop wouldn't move a penny of £5.500 for a 2018 kenevo few weeks ago!! Traveled down to raceco and he did a cracking deal......and that was a cracking deal (Y)

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Call and email all the dealers. End of season and more expensive bikes = larger discounts.
Or if the model is not selling well = higher discount.
Discount = (age) + (trim) + (ratings)

So for example, 30% off on a 2018 at the end of September on a bike that is not that highly rated or popular is a good deal.
20% off on an award winning bike that tops the range at the end of the season is a good deal.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Support your local store. Buy all your 'less than premium' cycling stuff from them, like kids bikes, tubes, nutritional stuff and build up a relationship with them. Ask them if they can price match deals you've seen; often they can get near and like to be offered the chance to supply you. Soon enough they will value you and want to look after you. My local shop is great, it's just a shame they don't stock some of the higher end stuff that I buy.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
# Do your homework, thoroughly. Then when you stumble across a bargain, you will recognise it for what it is and importantly have the confidence to buy there and then and not miss the deal.

# Get your finances in order. It is no good seeing the bike of your dreams at a never to be repeated price if you cannot come up with the readies quickly enough to secure the deal, or if you have to sell your bike first. If access to cash is the problem, then as above, do your homework; but this time look at finance deals, 0% credit cards, increasing your credit card limit etc. (Please do not take this as advice to use a credit card to fund the purchase of a bike over an extended period - that way lies ruin. Just use it to bridge the gap between purchase and when the cheap funds arrive).

# Go on demo days. I have only been on three and each time significant discount vouchers were offered, but only to those individuals attending. My last one was 15% off any 2019 bike, with a four week expiry window, ending 4th Dec'18. I used this to get a price match with another dealer (it felt like cheating, but the alternative was clear).

# End of season bargains are there every year, except for the bike that you really want! So don't leave it too late! Two years ago, I used a 12.5% discount voucher the day after I got it. It turned out to be the last bike in my size in the country (they probably meant in their supply chain, not the whole of the UK).

# Get your timing right. It is not just "end of season" that bargains can be secured. End of the month, or end of the quarter can also be important for shops that are short on sales (everyone is measured these days). I confess that you have to be lucky on this one as it is not one to rely on, which is why you have to be prepared (see top of page) and be prepared to ask!

# Be an odd size or shape! The bargains always seem to be XS or XL (I'm an L).

# Be colour blind! If you really don't care what colour the bike is then "end of season" is your time.

# Be flexible. They may not be too ready to drop the price, but they may have cheap finance deals, or be prepared to offer goodies for free, or goodies at cost. Think about what you might want in advance. When I was coming up blank against an already well discounted bike, I asked "what about a pair of padded undershorts to seal the deal?" They said yes, apparently without thinking about it! OK, they were only £20-30, but I would have had to buy some anyway as mine were well past their use by date. And something is always better than nothing.

# Be on top of your sums. This is a combination of being flexible and sorting out your finances. I was buying a bike from a UK retailer that had a zero % finance deal over two years. That sounds free doesn't it, and how can you possibly do better than that? I proceeded all the way through the deal as though I was going to do the 0% deal and then backed out at the last minute and asked how much if I pay cash? It turned out that meant 10% off the price. Because I already knew my own financing was much cheaper than that, I opted for the money off deal.

# Be prepared to walk away. Getting a good deal is a way of thinking, you have to have the balls to ask for something and also be prepared to walk away. If the retailer sees you walking away they may have second thoughts as they were "so close to a deal they could feel it".

# Finally, and this is a tough one. This is so tough that I have never been able to do it myself. Do not get emotionally committed to that particular bike. Once I have done all the homework, read the reviews, compared geometry and specs, done the test rides and decided which bike is the one for me, then I find it impossible to buy a different bike. Once I have committed, I am hooked. I have removed all the other great deals from my range of possibilities. All I can do then is to get the best deal on the chosen bike. Am I really saying that no other bike could possibly be as good? Err yes, 'fraid so! :giggle:

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles