How to discharge the battery without riding

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Thought I’d share an easy way to run down the battery. As you know, Specialized recommends recharging the battery to at least 30% every 3 months.
How do you do that if you don’t ride the bike (in the winter, for example)?

The bike is on a stand an a simple clamp is pressing on the walk assist button. Once the battery is depleted, I’ll recharge.

A good way to max your batt life!

2577AB87-021F-45D0-8312-A141382895CD.jpeg

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Because you have to charge it every 3 months... which means you have to discharge it every 3 months. As with all LiOn batteries, you don't want to leave it sitting there for more than a few months.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
You just need to store batteries at a state of charge around 40-50% for long periods. So take a reading with a multi meter of your battery at full charge and reduce it to that level for storage. Check it every 3 month's to make sure the BMS hasn't drained it lower, if it has give it a slight recharge back to the original level.

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Sorry bros, but not if you want to prolong the life of the battery. You have to cycle it (discharge/recharge) every few months.
This is per the instruction manual.
I also build digital connected devices using LiOn for a living...

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
I'd love to ride it year-round... but here in Canada it's now -12C...

My limit is 0C.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'd love to ride it year-round... but here in Canada it's now -12C...

My limit is 0C.

Its a good job I let my answer trail off into a row of dots......
I hadn't thought about a prolonged period of below zero weather! In the UK these days, all we have is rain (well in England at least). It is either warm rain or cold rain, but it is always above zero!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I was being facetious, but let's not let a joke get in the way of pedantry... ;)

milkandrelish

Nov 29, 2022
Arcata, CA
Thought I’d share an easy way to run down the battery. As you know, Specialized recommends recharging the battery to at least 30% every 3 months.

The bike is on a stand an a simple clamp is pressing on the walk assist button. Once the battery is depleted, I’ll recharge.

View attachment 11582
What work stand is this? I need to find something that can hold mine but won't break the bank. Have been considering the Park Tools 10.3 stand.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What work stand is this? I need to find something that can hold mine but won't break the bank. Have been considering the Park Tools 10.3 stand.
Try this.
Bike Tools Workstand | Merlin Cycles

Someone makes these excellent workstands and sells them to retailers for their own brand workstand. I have seen this exact same workstand for sale from several different websites.
I have had mine at least ten years and it's still going strong. I even put my bike on it when I wash the bike and the stand is still all good.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Agree with Steve. I've been using that stand for service and washing for about a year. The keyed rotation is very handy for our lopsided (in weight front to back) emtbs.

Edit to say that price at Merlin is amazing. I think I paid a bit more than $100US

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

View attachment 11582
I know this is an old post but does anyone's 'Walk Mode" on stay on for 5 seconds before shutting off for 3 seconds and then repeating? Is this not hard on the electronics? I was going to head out on a ride a couple of weeks ago before the snow hit but now I have my bike upside down while I try to discharge the battery down from 100% for storage until the weather gets better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles