How many chain links?

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Anyone know the # of chain links for 2020 Decoy 29?

Rear mech got ripped off clean during my last ride (ouch!). I tried to run single-speed cutting my chain on trail but there wasn't enough tension and pretty much just pushed my 52 lb ebike through and out of the woods, coasting downhill when I could.

I have a new XT 126-link chain in-hand and would normally match up #links to replace, but I no longer have a significant section, losing a chunk in my frustration out there on the trail somewhere as litter.

I've seen it calculated different ways online, but would prefer to have it as it was stock which seemed just perfect.

Thanks!

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Luckily I have just changed my chain last week, I can tell you I have 6 links left so 120 should work for you (36teeth and 10-51 cassette).
But double check by wrapping your chain on the biggest cog and front ring without going through the derailleur, and then 5 to 6 more links is the correct amount

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Luckily I have just changed my chain last week, I can tell you I have 6 links left so 120 should work for you (36teeth and 10-51 cassette).

@Chrysaor - Thanks for checking! I also wrote to YT Support and they said they ship with 122 links on the Decoy29. I'll probably try that first and see if the tension seems right....can always cut more.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles