How do you carry spares?

BigAl28

Jan 13, 2020
Southeast
Recently got my new eone-sixty 2019 at a knockdown price brand new from Tredz. Just wondering how those with small and medium size frames carry a spare tube CO2 etc (think large has enough space for an enduro strap in the top of the triangle). So backpack or somewhere else on the frame? Pics for ideas greatly appreciated

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Recently got my new eone-sixty 2019 at a knockdown price brand new from Tredz. Just wondering how those with small and medium size frames carry a spare tube CO2 etc (think large has enough space for an enduro strap in the top of the triangle). So backpack or somewhere else on the frame? Pics for ideas greatly appreciated

I use a saddlebag, (under seat) Topek SIDEKICK STW WEDGE PACK. A Tube, 2ea CO2, and the compact inflator fit very comfortably on one side and the toolkit it comes with fit very well on the other.

BigAl28

Jan 13, 2020
Southeast
I use a saddlebag, (under seat) Topek SIDEKICK STW WEDGE PACK. A Tube, 2ea CO2, and the compact inflator fit very comfortably on one side and the toolkit it comes with fit very well on the other.
Interesting - Any issues fouling the dropper post?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Riding from home, Surrey Hills, I have a small bum bag. If it doesn't fit I don't take it, so it' pretty much pump and a multi-tool.

Would use a rucksack if I was going somewhere remote where the consequences of a breakdown would be more severe.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Interesting - Any issues fouling the dropper post?

No the velcro around the post just slides up and scrunches a little to accomodate. One note is if you have the Merida saddle, and its placed forward on the mount, the bag sits lower in the front. but dropper still goes to bottom. If you have an Ergon saddle, Ergon provides you with a Topek mount that screws on the far back portion of the saddle (no need to use the Topek rail mount) thus the front velcro strap sits very high up on the seat post and looks better.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dunno exactly how much room you have in the front triangle of your frame but search the forum for ideas of storage options. There have been plenty topics on this.
eg.
How do you always have:tube, tools, and pump with your bike? - EMTB Forums

Spesh, Wolf tooth, Topeak and One-Up etc. all have clever little options for carrying various tools on the bike if you're struggling for space.

Last edited:

BigAl28

Jan 13, 2020
Southeast
No the velcro around the post just slides up and scrunches a little to accomodate. One note is if you have the Merida saddle, and its placed forward on the mount, the bag sits lower in the front. but dropper still goes to bottom. If you have an Ergon saddle, Ergon provides you with a Topek mount that screws on the far back portion of the saddle (no need to use the Topek rail mount) thus the front velcro strap sits very high up on the seat post and looks better.
That sounds perfect. Thanks. Really trying to avoid anything on the back if possible so this might be the way forward (Ditched the Merida saddle as soon as the bike arrived!)

Stanczech

Subscriber
For larger days I carry a bag of the required size.
But for shorter rides without a bag, I carry the necessary little things in the Acepac Fuel Frame Bag M black, attached to the frame. Fits ORANGE SEAL Regular Tubeless Sealant Refills - 4 oz / 118 ml, Radon CO2 pump with pressure gauge, CO2 cartridge 1 x 25g and 1 x 16g, repair wicks DYNAPLUG - Micro Pro Kit, Syncros Matchbox 16 Multitool Mini, clutch and mini chain oil, zip ties. It also fits keys and cookies.

WP_20190402_039.jpg

WP_20190402_041.jpg

WP_20190402_046.jpg

WP_20190402_047.jpg

Last edited:

BigAl28

Jan 13, 2020
Southeast
Dunno exactly how much room you have in the front triangle of your frame but search the forum for ideas of storage options. There have been plenty topics on this.
eg.
How do you always have:tube, tools, and pump with your bike? - EMTB Forums

Spesh, Wolf tooth, Topeak and One-Up etc. all have clever little options for carrying various tools on the bike if you're struggling for space.
Thanks Gary - the problem with the front triangle space in a medium e160 is there is none, hence the Q. Not much space under the top tube due to the placement of the shock! Looks like the next response might be a way to do things - saddle bag mounted on the top tube.

BigAl28

Jan 13, 2020
Southeast
But for shorter rides without a bag, I carry the necessary little things in the Acepac Fuel Frame Bag M black, attached to the frame. Fits ORANGE SEAL Regular Tubeless Sealant Refills - 4 oz / 118 ml, Radon CO2 pump with pressure gauge, CO2 cartridge 1 x 25g and 1 x 16g, repair wicks DYNAPLUG - Micro Pro Kit, Syncros Matchbox 16 Multitool Mini, clutch and mini chain oil. It also fits keys and cookies.

View attachment 25857

View attachment 25864

View attachment 25865
This looks like the way forward. That’s what I was hoping. A bit of thinking outside the box and I can utilise what I already have to achieve the same. Thanks ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks Gary - the problem with the front triangle space in a medium e160 is there is none, hence the Q. Not much space under the top tube due to the placement of the shock! Looks like the next response might be a way to do things - saddle bag mounted on the top tube.
is it the older E160 with external battery on the downtube?
I've ridden one of those and seem to remeber there being space under the top tube (above the battery). I'd have thought the Dakine bag (same as I use in the thread I linked to) would squeeze in there... just infront of the shock/rocker.
most seat mounted bags do foul the stanchion of a dropper, but even if you find one that doesn't you need to be careful that the rear tyre won't hit it when the suspension is fully compressed and dropper fully lowered.

BigAl28

Jan 13, 2020
Southeast
is it the older E160 with external battery on the downtube?
I've ridden one of those and seem to remeber there being space under the top tube (above the battery). I'd have thought the Dakine bag (same as I use in the thread I linked to) would squeeze in there... just infront of the shock/rocker.
most seat mounted bags do foul the stanchion of a dropper, but even if you find one that doesn't you need to be careful that the rear tyre won't hit it when the suspension is fully compressed and dropper fully lowered.
Yes! Size medium and it’s tighter than a gnats chuff for anything. Was concerned a seat pack would foul the tyre but mounted along the tt might be an option Ive got a triathlon top tube mounted bag that might work

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Adding pictures. With the Merida saddle fairly forward on the post. Dropper fully extended and fully compressed.
20200212_130331.jpg
20200212_130319.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry but that bag is going to wear your dropper post's stanchion, more than likely damage the seal head and probably buzz your rear tyre when the bike's suspension compresses fully while riding

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
_1270001.JPG

Lezyne Micro Caddy. Mounts on saddle rails via plastic lockout holder. No interference with dropper.

Holds spare tube, Lezyne V12 multitool, 210mg CO2 cartridge and inflator, 2 Schwalbe tyre levers, KMC quick link, couple of cable ties, band aid and $50 note.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Sorry but that bag is going to wear your dropper post's stanchion, more than likely damage the seal head and probably buzz your rear tyre when the bike's suspension compresses fully while riding

Good points. Full rear travel is 150 and I have 140 to the guard so yes on a massive hit it may buzz the tire. If i use the Ergon saddle and mount i gain 15 mm so clears even a bottom out by 5mm stress that this is using my height setting for the dropper post. Used these types of bags for years and never saw stantion wear but damage to the seal head is a possibility. Topek makes smaller bags that don't have a velcro strap so thsts another option.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That stanchion would be raw in a matter of weeks in our winter.. I guess you might not ride in such harsh conditions though.

Hanging a bag from your saddle also reduces crotch clearance and puts weight on the bije exactly where you don't want it.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I've got the OneUp EDC tool in the steerer tube. This has a few little tools, chain breaker, quick links etc and the little storage bit I've added band aids, pain killers and $note. Bundle of zip ties inside the handlebars
Otherwise i carry a lightweight hydration backpack with a 2L bladder which i generally fill ~1.5L i also chuck few more bits and pieces on here, hand pump, co2 inflators, tyre gauge, rags, repair kit.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
That stanchion would be raw in a matter of weeks in our winter.. I guess you might not ride in such harsh conditions though.

Hanging a bag from your saddle also reduces crotch clearance and puts weight on the bije exactly where you don't want it.

Winter here wet and muddy. I've used velcro strap saddle bags on my bikes for last 20 years. Very slight wear on the rear of the post (3mm wide X 25mm high where the front of the bag contacts the post. Never had any issues with crotch clearance. Either weight bike or weight on the hips. Having said all that, I may consider a saddle bag that does not contact the dropper post like the Topek Sidekick Wedge Pack in a small size.

Last edited:

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
and on a dropper post stanchion you think this is fine?
I do. Its probably less than a 50 thou wear and smooth. It would only affect the wiper seal and I believe it should more than accomodate that level of wear. I would say the laser etchings on some dropper posts would probably be at least a thou. But I can understand a conservative approach.

Manny much bru?
nehr :confused:

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Good points. Full rear travel is 150 and I have 140 to the guard so yes on a massive hit it may buzz the tire. If i use the Ergon saddle and mount i gain 15 mm so clears even a bottom out by 5mm stress that this is using my height setting for the dropper post. Used these types of bags for years and never saw stantion wear but damage to the seal head is a possibility. Topek makes smaller bags that don't have a velcro strap so thsts another option.
I use a 3mm bungee in place of that strap and plastic buckle, have done this since the very first dropper posts have been available without wearing the stanchions.
I carry only a multi tool, co2 and tyre levers inside these bags and have the spare camera and a pump tied to the frames with velcro.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm now wondering what accessories you guys have managed to attach to the your fork stanchions and shock shafts!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Sandpaper may be needed out there on the wilderness... before vulcanizing rubber with tree extracted latex.

Pinned

Nov 5, 2019
Adelaide
But for shorter rides without a bag, I carry the necessary little things in the Acepac Fuel Frame Bag M black, attached to the frame. Fits ORANGE SEAL Regular Tubeless Sealant Refills - 4 oz / 118 ml, Radon CO2 pump with pressure gauge, CO2 cartridge 1 x 25g and 1 x 16g, repair wicks DYNAPLUG - Micro Pro Kit, Syncros Matchbox 16 Multitool Mini, clutch and mini chain oil, zip ties. It also fits keys and cookies.

View attachment 25857

View attachment 25864

View attachment 25865
Hey mate, How tight of a fit is the fidlock? Is that the 600ml?

Edit: just realized XL frame. Sorry dude.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I keep nothing on the bike. I like it light and simple. I'm usually relatively remote when I ride, so I have a bit of gear. I use a daypack. 500ml water, tool kit, pump, spare tube, links, etc. Nut bars, emergency kits. Light top. It's probably about 2 - 2.5kg.

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
For short rides I "go naked", work keys, water bottle and phone in jersey pocket. For long rides I load up the CamelBak with tubes and tools.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles