How do i tighten these two bolts?

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Can anyone advise me on how to tighten these two bolts? I have a torque wrench and when I try to check they are at correct torque the whole bolt rotates all the time.

20200325_181339.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If its a through bolt it may be held with a nut on the other side in which case you will need to hold that whilst tightening the ones you pictured.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
It's just a circular hole the other side. I don't know how I can grip it to stop it moving.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
The back one is internal hex with nut on outside (same side) so use allen head in torque wrench and spanner on outside nut.
Front one is allen hex on one side and 2 sided nut on opposite side.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You may be better removing it so you see what the problem is. Those pivot bolts are often a through bolt with an internal thread into which a screw is tightened at the other end. The screw being the part with the allen key fitting. I am not sure how the bolt is held whilst tightening the screw but there are several warnings about being very careful to insert the bolt clean and the screw with Loctite...and very careful to apply the right torque. All of which suggests thread damage is east to do!! The attached may help. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_it/bikes/models/manual/Trance.pdf

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The back one is internal hex with nut on outside (same side) so use allen head in torque wrench and spanner on outside nut.
Front one is allen hex on one side and 2 sided nut on opposite side.
ah..sorry I did not see your reply. Problem solved if that is the case. I would add however that I have never agreed with the often given advice to check pivot bolts and tighten if loose. Check they are tight of course but if they are loose they need to be removed, cleaned and Loctite re-applied. Disturbing a loctited bolt means the Loctite bond is broken and thereafter useless.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...just to add..it is also the case that Loctite takes time to form a full bond so the bike should not be used for at least a few hours...preferably 12 hours I think for Blue Loctite.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
...just to add..it is also the case that Loctite takes time to form a full bond so the bike should not be used for at least a few hours...preferably 12 hours I think for Blue Loctite.
My front one kept loosening itself and needed extra loctite.....been fine ever since, yep let it cure a bit first.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Thanks for the reply. The reason I wanted to check they were tight is I get creaking sounds when I peddle. All other bolts are torqued correct so just those two on the picture to check. Thanks.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would not check with a torque wrench unless you set it below the recommended torque. You just need tk use a small allen key...that will tell you if anything is loose. Very few torque wrenches are accurate especially if well used and relatively old. If you disturb the bolt at all you break the loctite bond and those bolts will likely constantly loosen.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Ok I just checked the front one and it was very loose. Did as suggested and set to 15nm which felt quite tight. Thanks all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles