How can i flight with my e bike?

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
You will have to ship your battery separate, no way for you to board a commercial airline flight with an ebike battery. Call in to your local mail boxes express (MBE) or call UPS and book a ground service. Where are you flying from and where to?

yudi

Oct 2, 2018
Indonesia
last time 2 months I bought my giant full e+ ebike from LA. then I brought to international flight from Lax. the bike went to luggage & battery I kept in cabin bag. security scan the battery then they release me after consult with their supervisor. everything just went fine. it supprise me ..

15384919852708427235189677497078.jpg

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I wouder if passenger air lines are looking at this now, although the avsec rules are just that, rules. Not sure if there is an exemption for electric mobility aids?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
There are no exemptions. Just ship the battery.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Maybe there is a market for 150 Watt battery stickers? Although the man is going to check you with the gloves on if you get caught!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I wouder if passenger air lines are looking at this now, although the avsec rules are just that, rules. Not sure if there is an exemption for electric mobility aids?

Well I suppose you could spin it that an ebike is in fact a mobility aid. It certainly aids me to climb a hill whilst I am mobile on my ebike ?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
last time 2 months I bought my giant full e+ ebike from LA. then I brought to international flight from Lax. the bike went to luggage & battery I kept in cabin bag. security scan the battery then they release me after consult with their supervisor. everything just went fine. it supprise me ..

View attachment 5864
you were just very lucky. a ebike battery is waaaay above the limit for cabin carry

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
In an earlier post I mentioned that a group of us were going to Andulacia in Spain. I wanted to take my e-bike and as we were a group of 16 we were unlikely to all get on the plane together with bikes. I looked at bike couriers and finally settled on Sherpr. They picked up all our bikes and luggage from my house, with dedicated driver for the whole trip and arrived in Orgiva an hour or two after us. They then bought the bikes back as soon as we had packed them. Bikes were in mainly cardboard boxes but we felt they were much safer than by air. Cost was a bit more than air but very convenient and safe. They will transport single bikes but if there is a group of you wanting to take your electrics to Europe it will be cheaper and I thoroughly recommend it.

Lockey8

Sep 15, 2018
South Bucks
I’m going from the UK to NZ for 3 months and taking my wife’s Levo, we are hiring a battery from a shop in Auckland as this was the best option for us. I think as the bikes become more and more popular hopefully more shops will have this service.

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Gary, from memory we paid about £100 for bikes (Jet2.com were £75) plus £15 for luggage and £20 for insurance. Nice travelling through airports with only a carryon.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks. That's not too bad at all.
I have a bike I leave over in Valencia but i'd quite like to take my Ebike next time I go back.
Handy to know it's possible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles