Levo Gen 2 Horrendous creaking even after motor replacement

SparkleHedgehog

Dec 11, 2021
Coningsby, UK
So RaceCo cycles replaced my motor under warranty and the bike would creak before the motor change the same as it does now. Its horrendous as it sounds like the whole Motor mount area is twisting the carbon frame somehow yet ive gone round every bolt and torqued the whole lot, even removed the all and greased them and re torqued them to no avail. It does it even if I stand off the side of the bike and just put my whole weight from a standing start on one pedal (happens both sides) and even replaced the crank arms and pedals (checked their torque too) and made no difference. Checked all suspension bolts everywhere for torque and fine. Not the seat post as like I say if I stand on a pedal either side it does it. Even put the rear shock in max compression setting to minimise movement in the linkage and still does it the same.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE any ideas???? Im literally falling out of love with this bike because of it. Ruins every ride with it, sounds like carbon is cracked but absolutely nothing visible anywhere and never been crashed so makes no sense. I need a solution. tried even removing the motor surrounding plastics and that didnt stop it either

:(

Bicyclenut

Jul 9, 2022
Fresno
did you replace the front chainring and chain? Mine was making a bunch of noise really loud and was the chain and chainring.

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Check the hub bearings, then chain,
Been their, now bald pulling hair out, first time it was the Front hub bearing second time was the chain, thus in dispute with self whether or not it was “these” bolts second time
6BB7994D-612E-4DAC-B5DE-23AB98316316.jpeg

SparkleHedgehog

Dec 11, 2021
Coningsby, UK
Removed my motor and the blue spacers are in the motor mount holes tight but one red one is loose as. I know these are just push in and out but only one is ultra loose fitting. Is this ok?

SparkleHedgehog

Dec 11, 2021
Coningsby, UK
Ok so I’ve rebuilt the entire thing. Even took off the rear triangle and shock linkage etc, motor out and started from scratch. Greased every bolt, torqued everything exactly as in the manual and put it together meticulously. Totally silent!!!! Fixed it and don’t know why or how but it’s silent now. Amazing difference. Literally can’t wait to ride it now. 1am here now so will have to wait until tomorrow but so so happy.
Thanks for any and all advice and ideas

SparkleHedgehog

Dec 11, 2021
Coningsby, UK
This is how I felt. Ultra happy now. Been getting me down for weeks
Just ridden it. It’s like a different bike. Also I do all my own maintenance anyway but obviously i couldn’t get a motor warranty replacement without the shop Doing it but I do everything else myself normally.
I’m in love with my bike again :)

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Makes such a difference, been there!
I thought I had pulled every bolt & bearing off bike and was adamant I had checked all motor bolts, though I had missed the one behind the chainring
I depressurised rear shock dropped the triangle removed bolts, cleaned & greased the taper collar installed & Torqued
I still carry the elation every ride!
I was advised on here of the rear motor bolts causing creaking!

Re front wheel- “not a very good OEM hub” replaced with DT Swiss, though every power stroke id get bearing crack, only once I removed and checked I saw reason, cheap Shimano hub

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Thanks for posting the fix. I have an 18 carbon levo that started the creak after a motor replacement a year ago.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Yes did the same a few weeks back due to creaking.
Dropped the motor. Greased all the surfaces where they touch the frame, all the bolts and threads and that fixed it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles