Hope Tech V4 vs Magura MT7 Pro

-7R

Dec 2, 2020
Surrey Hills
I'm having some real trouble with my Magura brakes. I just don't feel like I'm getting the best out of them and wondered if you could give me some advice? I bled the front one yesterday as it's been just under a year since I got them - the purged fluid was black...! I've got the front feeling good, nice solid lever feel and a good bite to it, however the rear brake has been nothing but a nightmare. The fluid was black also, but I couldn't seem to get the bleed as good as the front. I noticed that there was a lot of bubbles coming through in the syringe at the lever and a lot of "bits" in there. What they are I don't know.

I did my research before buying them and 9/10 reviews said they were the bees knees and the best brakes ever etc, and 1/10 would say they were not great, inconsistent performers and a pain in the arse to bleed as well as difficult to maintain good lever feel.

When I fitted them originally I had an issue with the front lever which resulted in a warranty replacement being sent by Magura - I had my local bike shop fit it and it took them 4 attempts to get the bleed good. They said each time I brought the bike back that they are renowned for being a nuisance to bleed and that any bikes they stock that come with Magura brakes fitted have them removed and replaced with Hopes or Shimanos (depending on spec). They also recommended that I should sell them and try Hope brakes instead. My bike is un-rideable in it's current state and whilst I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford to spend yet more money on new brakes, I don't want to want to feel like I have to? The full set of Magura brakes cost me in excess of £500 brand new. I'm looking at Hope V4's based on my LBS recommendation and also that I've seen multiple full fat Levo's with them at my local trails (I ride a Levo SL). Can you give me your opinion on the Hope V4 brakes vs the Magura MT7 Pro?

Sorry for the long, rantish post, I'm f***ing frustrated as the rest of the bike is perfect and I just want worry free braking so I can concentrate on riding the damn thing!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Cut the levers off and fit Shimano. There is a post on here about someone doing that.
Try hopes before splurging a load of cash. I think they are weak. Hope users term this lack of power as modulation and love them though.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hope brakes lack power imo, had a set and got rid.

I've got the mt5 brakes on another bike and didn't find bleeding them especially difficult, maybe the mt7 are worse?

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Hopes can be pernickety on set up but when you get them set up properly you’ll struggle to find a better brake, loads of modulation and with 200/220 disk enough power to stop a bus. I’ll most certainly be putting my Hopes on the Rail when it arrives

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

I had problems with my MT5s initially . Once sorted I found them very good .
Now running MT5 caliper with Shimano XT levers and MDRP discs .

Cpl of tips take the caliper off the chain stay . Position the bike so it is standing nearly vertical on its back wheel and then move the lever till the bleed port is the highest point . Leave time for air to travel up and out .

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I did have v4's and now I have mt7 on my levo SL. Hope are really burly, reliable, well made brake kits, but I found them a pain to bleed Properly. Doing a lever bleed on mt7 is really easy. I don't think v4 are that much weaker in power, but I prefer the mt7 And they are more powerful.
Anyway, I could go on, but it sounds like you've made up your mind already.
here is how to do a QUICK lever bleed if you want to try it...

I'm having some real trouble with my Magura brakes. I just don't feel like I'm getting the best out of them and wondered if you could give me some advice? I bled the front one yesterday as it's been just under a year since I got them - the purged fluid was black...! I've got the front feeling good, nice solid lever feel and a good bite to it, however the rear brake has been nothing but a nightmare. The fluid was black also, but I couldn't seem to get the bleed as good as the front. I noticed that there was a lot of bubbles coming through in the syringe at the lever and a lot of "bits" in there. What they are I don't know.

I did my research before buying them and 9/10 reviews said they were the bees knees and the best brakes ever etc, and 1/10 would say they were not great, inconsistent performers and a pain in the arse to bleed as well as difficult to maintain good lever feel.

When I fitted them originally I had an issue with the front lever which resulted in a warranty replacement being sent by Magura - I had my local bike shop fit it and it took them 4 attempts to get the bleed good. They said each time I brought the bike back that they are renowned for being a nuisance to bleed and that any bikes they stock that come with Magura brakes fitted have them removed and replaced with Hopes or Shimanos (depending on spec). They also recommended that I should sell them and try Hope brakes instead. My bike is un-rideable in it's current state and whilst I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford to spend yet more money on new brakes, I don't want to want to feel like I have to? The full set of Magura brakes cost me in excess of £500 brand new. I'm looking at Hope V4's based on my LBS recommendation and also that I've seen multiple full fat Levo's with them at my local trails (I ride a Levo SL). Can you give me your opinion on the Hope V4 brakes vs the Magura MT7 Pro?

Sorry for the long, rantish post, I'm f***ing frustrated as the rest of the bike is perfect and I just want worry free braking so I can concentrate on riding the damn thing!

-7R

Dec 2, 2020
Surrey Hills
Yeah I agree that the MT7s are powerful, the front feels amazing but I've had nothing but trouble getting it to that point. I followed both of the videos you guys suggested but the lever just isn't getting firm at all during the bleed process. Maybe the lever has the same issue as the front did, so I might just try a new lever first. Hearing a lot of mixed opinions about Magura and Hope - maybe I should have just got some Saints haha

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I've just bought some MT5's and will swap over the levers to Shimano XT BL M8100's when I can finally find somewhere with them in stock!

I've had Hope V4's on my old enduro bike before my ebike. These were Tech3 V4 with 200mm discs front and rear on a carbon Yeti. They are phenomenal brakes but I didn't find they were able to stop the bike as quickly as others . On the flip side the modulation and the ability to set the brakes up how I wanted were second to none, and when something inevitably went wrong with the brakes, bleeding and replacing seals etc was really easy.

So my advice would be, if you like the Magura feel try and find alternative levers which may help. If you have had enough (which tbh thats a position I have been many times), try Hopes. ?

Last edited:

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Yeah I agree that the MT7s are powerful, the front feels amazing but I've had nothing but trouble getting it to that point. I followed both of the videos you guys suggested but the lever just isn't getting firm at all during the bleed process. Maybe the lever has the same issue as the front did, so I might just try a new lever first. Hearing a lot of mixed opinions about Magura and Hope - maybe I should have just got some Saints haha
Local bike store mechanic told me best way to fix bleed issues with Magura MT7 = Shimano Saints lol. Have 2 sets of MT7's, what I've always found is when pumping fluid back and forth between syringes is when you think you've done it enough, go ahead and do it about 5-10 times more. Traped air in Maguras is hard to get out and just takes time and persistance to get them right.

I've tried the "fast bleed" method too but get better results by breaking out both syringes and doing it right.

I like the HC3 lever and feel of Maguras so much I'm willing to put up with Magura's inadequecies for set up and maintainence. I should hate them but I don't :rolleyes:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have MT5s with upgraded levers Loic Bruni which have a nicer shape than standard Magura. They require patience to bleed but once sorted are brilliant brakes poor shop mechanics blame them coz they can’t be arsed to spend the time bleeding them properly!

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I was just about to order MT5’s as they seem great value. Had last minute doubts and I’m considering Hope V4’s.

Are they worth the significant extra cost?

Im totally new to bike disc brakes so if the Hopes are easier to bleed and adjust that’s a big bonus.

RiderOnTheStorm

I only have experience with magura MT5/MT7 brakes and I would highly recommend them. Here is my feedback:
  • Excellent braking power, when using good quality performance pads (MTX, Galfer,..)
  • Easy to bleed
  • Ergonomic one-finger alu levers (perfect design IMO)
  • Inexpensive lever piece (when replacement needed)
  • Easy and fast swapping pads (caliper uses magnets)
  • Great price/quality ratio
  • Spare parts readily available (in europe)

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Disconnect the rear caliper and hang it higher, with the bleed port screw up. Take a look at Magura's official bleed videos.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I suppose for some modulation is a bad word, but remember spreed is nothing without control, and I'd rather have controllable braking power than something that grabs.
Last thing you want is a locked up wheel.

The new Tech4 V4 and E4's** are getting really good reviews, maybe even bringing the power into the realms of Trickstuff. Certainly I have seen reviews from Trickstuff owners who cant really tell the difference now.

But if out and out rear locking uncontrollable skid is what you feel you need, MT7' al the way.

** Keeping in mind I am heavily Hope bias :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: K78

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Sometimes there's a leak that's not apparent, and is always going to let some air in. I had a front set of MT7's that I simply could not get to bleed without air in the lines. I got 18 good months out of them, so I just bought another set, shortened the hose, and rode the same day with a flawless feel.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I only have experience with magura MT5/MT7 brakes and I would highly recommend them. Here is my feedback:
  • Excellent braking power, when using good quality performance pads (MTX, Galfer,..)
  • Easy to bleed
  • Ergonomic one-finger alu levers (perfect design IMO)
  • Inexpensive lever piece (when replacement needed)
  • Easy and fast swapping pads (caliper uses magnets)
  • Great price/quality ratio
  • Spare parts readily available (in europe)
I suppose for some modulation is a bad word, but remember spreed is nothing without control, and I'd rather have controllable braking power than something that grabs.
Last thing you want is a locked up wheel.

The new Tech4 V4 and E4's** are getting really good reviews, maybe even bringing the power into the realms of Trickstuff. Certainly I have seen reviews from Trickstuff owners who cant really tell the difference now.

But if out and out rear locking uncontrollable skid is what you feel you need, MT7' al the way.

** Keeping in mind I am heavily Hope bias :LOL:

Im really struggling with this. Keep putting it off but I need to order tonight.

I’m between MT5 eStop and Hope V4’s. Ive got a stack of parts to buy and the Hopes cost more than double what the MT5 do.

Do the standard levers need swapping out on the MT5 eStop?

RiderOnTheStorm

If I recall, the standard levers on MT5 are 2-finger levers. I installed the shorter 1-finger levers HC which I really like.
Magura.jpg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I was just about to order MT5’s as they seem great value. Had last minute doubts and I’m considering Hope V4’s.

Are they worth the significant extra cost?

Im totally new to bike disc brakes so if the Hopes are easier to bleed and adjust that’s a big bonus.

Blister just did a MTB brake shootout review and the new Hope Tech 4 V4 were highly praised by them, I’ve sold three sets to customers, one whom was just on MT7’s and he also really loves the new Hopes and was happy with the switch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles