Hope rim tape

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
My new Hope Fortus 30’s will be here in a week or so but after watching some YouTube videos about them or more specifically the supplied rim tape, the people who released the videos said that the tape wasn’t very good, I was wondering if anyone on this forum had first hand experience with it and if indeed it’s not very good, I’m only asking because if it’s not much cop I’ll get something else instead rather than finding out last minute, I’d rather be prepared and have some tape in advance, anyway I’m waffling 🤣 any help would be appreciated please, cheers guys

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
My new Hope Fortus 30’s will be here in a week or so but after watching some YouTube videos about them or more specifically the supplied rim tape, the people who released the videos said that the tape wasn’t very good, I was wondering if anyone on this forum had first hand experience with it and if indeed it’s not very good, I’m only asking because if it’s not much cop I’ll get something else instead rather than finding out last minute, I’d rather be prepared and have some tape in advance, anyway I’m waffling 🤣 any help would be appreciated please, cheers guys
the youtube people are right, the tape is wank...
I used muc off and threw the hope tape in the bottom drawer of the toolbox for justin

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Nice one mate, that’s a recommendation for me, I’ve heard from others that Mucoff tape is great quality, thanks for your reply 🙏

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I used the Hope tape that came with my Fortus 30 without any problems. It’s cheap as chips though so use what ever you’re comfortable with. I like Tesa tape and you can get 66m for £10

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I eventually bought a Muc Off kit after looking at the endless choices out there, not just because dobbyhasfriends recommended it but it seemed to have a higher positive review than most, and again after searching for it on Google, Amazon was a very good price on Prime and it will arrive today, I am very grateful for your recommendation of the Tesa tape through mate 😉

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I used the hope tape that's supplied and its been on there for 3 yrs now and no issues
Ive also got Muc off tape and its no better or worse , well actually i had some peel back the other day from itself on the overlap the hope tape hasn't
As with any tape you put on yourself thou put a tube in the tyre for a week it helps stick it down evenly and put the tape on in a warm room also helps with application (y)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I used the hope tape that's supplied and its been on there for 3 yrs now and no issues
Ive also got Muc off tape and its no better or worse , well actually i had some peel back the other day from itself on the overlap the hope tape hasn't
As with any tape you put on yourself thou put a tube in the tyre for a week it helps stick it down evenly and put the tape on in a warm room also helps with application (y)
When changing tyres I also had some overlap peel back with Muc-Off rim tape but just used some Gorilla tape to hold the loose end. Hasn't shifted since.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for your reply mate, I’ve heard from a few people about applying the Hope tape in a warm room, I also heard that cutting any rim tape at an oblique angle helps to reduce the risk of it peeling off, I suppose it’s horses for courses where rim tape is concerned, one thing is that I’ll have spare valves coming out of my ears with all these kits 😁

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
When changing tyres I also had some overlap peel back with Muc-Off rim tape but just used some Gorilla tape to hold the loose end. Hasn't shifted since.
Thanks for your reply mate, I might use one of the patches that comes in the kit only because I don’t think I have any Gorilla tape 👍

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I've had mixed success with it and prefer to use Gorilla tape, but most tape doesn't stick very well when it cold outside.
I find most tape is better when it's applied on warm days, when doing mine recently I made sure I applied the tape indoors after warming it in the oven for a few minutes to get the glue tacky, I also took the chill from the rim using a hair dryer which worked a treat .

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I've had mixed success with it and prefer to use Gorilla tape, but most tape doesn't stick very well when it cold outside.
I find most tape is better when it's applied on warm days, when doing mine recently I made sure I applied the tape indoors after warming it in the oven for a few minutes to get the glue tacky, I also took the chill from the rim using a hair dryer which worked a treat .
Great idea mate, thanks for your reply 🙏

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
They’re all right about the temperature. I bring the rims and the tape into the house overnight to get to a reasonable temperature otherwise there’s zero chance of making a decent job of it

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Cheers guys, I should be ok as my bike workshop/man cave is heated, in fact it’s better insulated than our old draughty stone cottage is 🤣 and my new man cave will be more twice the size of my present one when we move 🙏

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles