Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Product Image:
Hope disc.jpg

Product name: Hope Ebike 2.3mm heavy duty brake rotors
Price paid: £81 for the pair
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: I hope this helps someone as I have had trouble with my 2020 Levo Comp brakes since I bought it and until now, have hated them but couldn’t justify an upgrade when I had something that works already.

I have 2 Levo's to maintain, mine and my sons.

His had the centrelock rotors and shimano SLX brakes
It took a few months but we got sick of straightening his rotors and swapped them for the hope wheels and brake rotors and have had no issues since.

My levo has guide RE brakes and 200mm SRAM centerline rotors and I stuck with mine for just over 2 years. I just lived with having to straighten them after every ride but they got to the point where they couldn’t be straightened anymore so that bike now also has hope wheels and rotors.

The Hope rotors are substantially thicker, they give a satisfying ring when you flick them with your fingernail, they are definitely far more solid, dissipate the heat more and so far, after having been fitted for 6 months or so, have not warped once.

Currently have them fitted with CL VRX brake pads that I fitted at the same time, I also reset the brake calipers by pushing the pistons fully home (necessary as the new discs are thicker) and did a full brake bleed and fluid replacement with the result that the brakes perform far better now than they did when they were new. I had almost given up hope of ever getting the Guide RE working well but this combo is like a stick in the spokes and with very little pull force or travel at the lever.

The rotors weigh 240 grams each, 33 grams heavier than the centerlines and so for me it’s a no brainer upgrade.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@dobbyhasfriends I hadn't heard of the CL VRX brake pads before, did a quick Google search and found they're available in NZ. Well priced for a ceramic pad, how have you found they perform ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I too have been running Guide RE’s with big rotors (in my case Galfer) for over two years now and can’t imagine needing a better brake set up

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
@dobbyhasfriends I hadn't heard of the CL VRX brake pads before, did a quick Google search and found they're available in NZ. Well priced for a ceramic pad, how have you found they perform ?
I should probably do a review because here in the UK there are expensive pads at £25 per pair.
they are good but they are not £25/pair good.
there are other pads available that I've used from both Uberbike and Noah & Theo that are both very, very close to the same performance.
if the C&L were a 9/10 (£25/pair)
the uberbike race matrix would be an 8.5/10 (£11/pair)
the uberbike sintered would be an 8/10 (£10/pair)

IMO the C&L are not worth the extra cash as a performance boost over the competition.
Uberbike also have an ebike specific pad which is £13/pair and ill try those next.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Interesting, thank you for your thoughts. They are $39 a pair here in NZ, which is on a par with the OEM Hope pads, but there are definitely cheaper alternatives. If the performance doesn't justify the price I guess I won't bother with them 👍

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Interesting, thank you for your thoughts. They are $39 a pair here in NZ, which is on a par with the OEM Hope pads, but there are definitely cheaper alternatives. If the performance doesn't justify the price I guess I won't bother with them 👍
its the fact that some people on the internet talk about them like they are some sort of magic silver bullet, they are good but IMO dont justify their price.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I should probably do a review because here in the UK there are expensive pads at £25 per pair.
they are good but they are not £25/pair good.
there are other pads available that I've used from both Uberbike and Noah & Theo that are both very, very close to the same performance.
if the C&L were a 9/10 (£25/pair)
the uberbike race matrix would be an 8.5/10 (£11/pair)
the uberbike sintered would be an 8/10 (£10/pair)

IMO the C&L are not worth the extra cash as a performance boost over the competition.
Uberbike also have an ebike specific pad which is £13/pair and ill try those next.
I have the ebike specific Uberbike pads on the front of my ebike and I've not been too impressed with them tbh. I've previously run Race Matrix pads on my conventional bike and been really pleased with them so when I saw the ebike ones I thought they were worth a go. I think I'm just going to try Race Matrix pads next to see if they're better. The ebike ones seem to lack bite in comparison to Race Matrix in my experience so far. I dunno if I maybe overheated them from new (I don't think I did and I didn't do anything that I don't usually do with new pads) but they definitely feel quite numb.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I have the ebike specific Uberbike pads on the front of my ebike and I've not been too impressed with them tbh. I've previously run Race Matrix pads on my conventional bike and been really pleased with them so when I saw the ebike ones I thought they were worth a go. I think I'm just going to try Race Matrix pads next to see if they're better. The ebike ones seem to lack bite in comparison to Race Matrix in my experience so far. I dunno if I maybe overheated them from new (I don't think I did and I didn't do anything that I don't usually do with new pads) but they definitely feel quite numb.
See that's really weird
I've found the complete opposite always run them on 220 magura rotors and saint brakes .
There's nothing wrong with the race matrix pads thou just a little less bite initially i find
were all different thou and running different set ups .

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
See that's really weird
I've found the complete opposite always run them on 220 magura rotors and saint brakes .
There's nothing wrong with the race matrix pads thou just a little less bite initially i find
were all different thou and running different set ups .
Maybe I did overheat the E-Matrix pads then? I'll order another set to try as they're not too expensive. Given that I'm running XT brakes and a 220 (Uberbike 2mm wide) rotor I would imagine that the stopping power should be similar to your Saint set up (I have Saint brakes on another bike so I'm familiar with their abilities in relation to XT). They do slow me down okay but they lack the initial bite that I'd expect them to provide. 🤔

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Maybe I did overheat the E-Matrix pads then? I'll order another set to try as they're not too expensive. Given that I'm running XT brakes and a 220 (Uberbike 2mm wide) rotor I would imagine that the stopping power should be similar to your Saint set up (I have Saint brakes on another bike so I'm familiar with their abilities in relation to XT). They do slow me down okay but they lack the initial bite that I'd expect them to provide. 🤔
Maybe you did overheat them initially or something
In use i get the rear pretty damn hot sometimes enough to leave a dark heat mark round the brake surface so they can handle heat
Let us know how you get on when you do try them , like you say there cheap enough anyway :)

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Im waiting for the TRP R1's to come back into UK stock. 2.3mm thick, look a bit nicer (to me), cheaper & come in the sizes I need at 220 & 203 whereas Hope dont do a 203mm.
I really wish the Hope floaters came in 2mm rather than the current 1.8mm as I would buy them in a flash.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Maybe you did overheat them initially or something
In use i get the rear pretty damn hot sometimes enough to leave a dark heat mark round the brake surface so they can handle heat
Let us know how you get on when you do try them , like you say there cheap enough anyway :)
I massively overheated the original brakes riding the trails at the Golfie (Innerleithen) when I first got the bike back in August, that was what led me to swap the front rotor and pads to the E-Matrix and 220mm rotor. I just broke in the E-Matrix pads riding my local trails which tend to be wet, slow, techy but not particularly steep so I'm not sure how I would have overheated them. Now wondering if they or the discs might have been contaminated. I'll order another set anyway and try again, encouraging to know that you've had good results with them and as I mentioned I've always been happy with Race Matrix pads previously.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I massively overheated the original brakes riding the trails at the Golfie (Innerleithen) when I first got the bike back in August, that was what led me to swap the front rotor and pads to the E-Matrix and 220mm rotor. I just broke in the E-Matrix pads riding my local trails which tend to be wet, slow, techy but not particularly steep so I'm not sure how I would have overheated them. Now wondering if they or the discs might have been contaminated. I'll order another set anyway and try again, encouraging to know that you've had good results with them and as I mentioned I've always been happy with Race Matrix pads previously.
Unless it was a bad batch .

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Unless it was a bad batch .
reading all of the above is interesting.
could be bedding in ? if I put new pads I do service the caliper and completely clean the rotor and then give it a bit of a sanding before bedding in the new pads.

I liked the race matrix pads, good for all year round and I abused them badly a few times at bikepark Wales.

ill still try the ebike specific ones and see whats what.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
I got fed up waiting for UK stock of trp 2.3mm r1 rotors.
Ordered from German site r2-bike.com last Sunday and arrived today.
A 220mm and 203mm for £70 all in.

gaz123

Aug 22, 2022
snowdonia
the best pads for my sram re brakes on my Turbo Levo were from superstar components the red kevlar pads,4 pairs for £30 Bargin,I have used the hope heavy suit 203 mm rotor for a while but I found that they overheated much quicker than the sram rotors,I have naw bought the new hope TEC4 V4 brakes with SRAM rotors ,very impressed

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I've also got a pair of these, but ive yet to fit them. New pro4 wheels too, (Nasty job im sure, 142-148 boost kit, wee magnet thing. Putting it off etc etc). But they are I think ideal for the Hope V4's, which are the brakes I'll be fitting when the new Tech 4 levers arrive next week hopefully

Love the nifty wee lightning bolt. Very Ebike :D :cool:

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Well, I have taken the plunge after continually having to straighten the SRAM rotors. 220 & 200 Hope 2.3’s on the way. Confused with pads, currently have the SRAM sintered in, but will give the Ematrix Uberpads a go when they come back in stock. On Code R/S so hoping clearances won’t be an issue.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Well, I have taken the plunge after continually having to straighten the SRAM rotors. 220 & 200 Hope 2.3’s on the way. Confused with pads, currently have the SRAM sintered in, but will give the Ematrix Uberpads a go when they come back in stock. On Code R/S so hoping clearances won’t be an issue.
I’ve not had much luck with the e-bike specific blue pads, the white ones are better imo and if you want to spend even more money and get better performance again, the CL vrx pads are the best I’ve used although the galfer purple seem popular for less money but I’ve not tried them yet

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I've been using the Uberbike eMatrix (blue) pads for a while and found them to be decent if not exceptional. I had an issue with the first set I used but I think that was due to contamination from a micro leak in my old Shimano caliper. No more issues with them since I changed to a Magura caliper (Shigura brake set up). I bought a batch of the blue pads as they were discounted and I've been working my way through them but I might try something else next just out of curiosity.
As Dobbyhasfriends said though, I'm not sure that the blue pads are significantly better than the normal Race matrix pads which are slightly cheaper.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I’ve ordered a couple of sets of the Galfer purples. So will post my thoughts when I have done a few miles on them. I have tried the Uberbike Ebike ones, but was not convinced by them. Thought maybe I had a bad set, but see others have said the same. One of the guys I ride with is more than happy with them though. Fingers crossed for the new set up, cheers

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I've been using the Uberbike eMatrix (blue) pads for a while and found them to be decent if not exceptional. I had an issue with the first set I used but I think that was due to contamination from a micro leak in my old Shimano caliper. No more issues with them since I changed to a Magura caliper (Shigura brake set up). I bought a batch of the blue pads as they were discounted and I've been working my way through them but I might try something else next just out of curiosity.
As Dobbyhasfriends said though, I'm not sure that the blue pads are significantly better than the normal Race matrix pads which are slightly cheaper.
for me I have had several sets of the white pads but only tried one set of he ebike blue pads.
they are so noisy I dont have the words to stress how noisy but the noise puts me off while riding. they also overheated the brake caliper on a trail I ride frequently so that the lever went to the bar and thats never happened before I am guessing that the heat dissappation is not as good with them as the others.
I wouldnt try another set of they were free.. perhaps I was just unlucky.

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
I’ve ordered a couple of sets of the Galfer purples. So will post my thoughts when I have done a few miles on them. I have tried the Uberbike Ebike ones, but was not convinced by them. Thought maybe I had a bad set, but see others have said the same. One of the guys I ride with is more than happy with them though. Fingers crossed for the new set up, cheers
I use purple galfers on the back, and the normal ones at front, with shimano zee brakes and some cheap brand 2.0 mm rotors, not a problem.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I had a ton of clearance issues with these rotors with my Code RSCs. They actually don’t recommend using them with SRAM brakes, didn’t find that out until after I bought them. Hopefully you’ll have better luck with them than me, I ended up buying Hope T4V4s.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I had a ton of clearance issues with these rotors with my Code RSCs. They actually don’t recommend using them with SRAM brakes, didn’t find that out until after I bought them. Hopefully you’ll have better luck with them than me, I ended up buying Hope T4V4s.
That will be the route I take also if not happy with the discs and Codes. 🤞crossed though that that they fit and can be set up without discs rubbing all the time.
You happy with the T4V4’s? If I upgrade it was the Hopes or TRP’s I was looking at. But the Hopes have more bling (I love the machined styling) and I am already running Pro 5 hubs.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
A better deal is the original V2 vented rotor(203mm only). Limited colours, but you'll get them for £50 a throw.

I emailed Hope the other day asking if i could use them to run V4 calipers on, and they basically said yes. "You can run V2 or V4 on V2 rotors"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles