Review Hope Ebike 2.3mm heavy duty brake rotors

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
That will be the route I take also if not happy with the discs and Codes. 🤞crossed though that that they fit and can be set up without discs rubbing all the time.
You happy with the T4V4’s? If I upgrade it was the Hopes or TRP’s I was looking at. But the Hopes have more bling (I love the machined styling) and I am already running Pro 5 hubs.
I ordered the TRPs to start with, one set went backorder so I cancelled. So far I’m impressed with the new Hopes, I had the older version of the E4s a long time ago and they sucked. These new ones are a big improvement IMO. They’re miles better than the Code RSCs that I pulled off, that’s for sure.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^ You gotta clarify. E4/V4 are the calipers. There has been some minor changes for potentially huge reliability gains. Tech3 / Tech 4 are the masters. I am guessing you had Tech 3 E4s because Tech 4 OLD E4s was not a sold combo upon Tech 4 release last year.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
^ You gotta clarify. E4/V4 are the calipers. There has been some minor changes for potentially huge reliability gains. Tech3 / Tech 4 are the masters. I am guessing you had Tech 3 E4s because Tech 4 OLD E4s was not a sold combo upon Tech 4 release last year.
Yeah, I had the Tech 3 E4s. They weren’t very impressive at all. I’ve ridden my mates bike with the Tech 4 E4 and there’s a massive difference.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^and that massive difference is what in your experience ;-)

Change is not always good, but saying there was simply change without description does not help.

As is my experience, yes there is a massive difference, Tech 4 has much more power compared to tech 3 (and even code RSCs in my experience even with E4 calipers)

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Yeah, also curious how the Hope v4 2.3mm in 220mm compare to Galfer's new Shark 2mm in 223mm.

They have similar pricing (~$80), a similar weight (~240g). But how do they compare performance wise? 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♀️
The new V4 rotor is 3.3mm and vented, they’ll only work with the Tech 4 V4 brakes. I wanted them but couldn’t justify £120 a rotor!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
@Ou812 thanks for the clarification! I was actually interested to hear how the Hope 2.3mm rotors in 220mm compare to Galfer's new Shark 2mm in 223mm performance wise.
I personally would probably go with the Shark rotors, I prefer the one piece over the 2 piece. One of my riding buddies had the 2.3mm hope floating rotors and had issues with the rivets coming loose, he got them replaced under warranty and one of them was warped out of the package. He sold them off and replaced them with the 2.3mm HD rotors.

I was at the DH World Cup at Fort Bill and I would say probably 75% of the riders were using the shark rotors. Those rotors and the TRP DH Evo seemed to be the most common braking set-up between all the riders.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles