Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
After seeing the vid Rob Hancill put up about this I decided to make my own. The gopro H7 Black's stabilisation coupled with our natural gimbal (The head), it seemed a no brainer. Did a few runs to get the angle right and it works a treat. A few quid spent at B&Q, duck tape, a tripod adptor off eBay and bingo, a fully functional chin mount without causing any damage to the helmet whatsoever ? One question: When you render your videos, what settings are you using? This was filmed in 4K/30fps. Rendered in 1080p..

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It works , but I can’t imagine the injuries that’s going to cause in a minor face plant , chest mounts are dangerouse enough . But surely a more stable safer option .
Sorry to be negative about your idea

Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
No worries Kernow sir ?
If I planted it would fold back but due to the size, wouldn't go near my face, if it did, I think I'd have bigger things to sorry about. Besides, it more than likely snap the plastic attachment(s) or break the cable ties.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
No worries Kernow sir ?
If I planted it would fold back but due to the size, wouldn't go near my face, if it did, I think I'd have bigger things to sorry about. Besides, it more than likely snap the plastic attachment(s) or break the cable ties.
Wasn’t thinking of your face , more your neck or chest , just me getting old seeing danger I never used to see ?, but we had a heads up at an event last year new rules to stop riders wearing chest mounts due a number of injuries caused by them

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Health and safety gone mad , chest mounts warned against , I can’t get my head around this , I can’t speak for everyone but I only wear a chest mount and it has a 150mm square plate that the mount attaches too , I’m sure the small bracket would snap first before doing any damage to my chest.
@Kernow this its not directed at you either matey ??
It just Seems now a days health and safety has gone insane. We will all be walking around in bubble wrap suits soon. ?

Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
True but given what we do with these bikes (inc acoustics), well, you pay your money you take your chances. End of May this year, Black Mountain Cycle Centre, on my acoustic, fully kitted up, (pads, body armour) no camera. Had a bit of an off, managed to drive an hour home. Decided to call an ambulance 24hrs later cos the strained groin I thought I had was very painful. One CT scan later and: 7 broken and fractured ribs, some with multiple breaks and fracture's. Punctured and collapsed right lung and a double pelvic fracture. So anything can happen when you choose to chuck yourself down bumpy jumpy hills but we still choose to do it. Everything has its risks and dads, we really should know better ??

IMG_20180514_063832.jpg

Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
Health and safety gone mad , chest mounts warned against , I can’t get my head around this , I can’t speak for everyone but I only wear a chest mount and it has a 150mm square plate that the mount attaches too , I’m sure the small bracket would snap first before doing any damage to my chest.
It just Seems now a days health and safety has gone insane. We will all be walking around in bubble wrap suits soon. ?
Oi, back off with the neg comments about Elf n Safety! I'm. Health & Safety Manager (Serious) but I know what you mean, a lot of us are not 'Fun sponges' but do want to mitigate risk. See my other post about what happened to me....?

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Haha so your the guy who makes my life hell on site ??
I’m project manager in construction and over the last 20 years it’s gone crazy , but I do agree it saves lives and better health for workers.
But like you said we participate in extreme spots at our own risk injuries and all but we still keep coming back for more ??
I’ve watched you post too excellent ????

Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
Haha so your the guy who makes my life hell on site ??
I’m project manager in construction and over the last 20 years it’s gone crazy , but I do agree it saves lives and better health for workers.
But like you said we participate in extreme spots at our own risk injuries and all but we still keep coming back for more ??
I’ve watched you post too excellent ????
If we all just wore a hiviz vest we would be bulletproof, no need for anything else! ????

Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
Health and safety aside...epic video @Old Northern MTB'er I'm going there for the first time next week. :cool:
Thanks for that?
Enjoy and I hope the weather is with you. The first 2 clips are down a couple of the easy DH runs into 'Launchpad', the rest is on the 7 mile Verderers trail. The bottom section of this is good - the last half of the Verds is where Motorhead kicks in. Off to Wind Hill on Friday, first time and I'm VERY excited!! ?

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I realise it’s not directed at me , and I guess not all chest mounts are made the same , and with the face plant being a very common way of falling from a bike the chest is not exactly in the best area to sustain trauma . I think Schumacher’s head injuries in his ski accident became severe due to a helmet mount on top of his helmet .
I know what you mean I’ve spent many years in the building trades and it does seem mad these days , but I consider Iam lucky to be here when I look back at what I was expected to do years ago .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I work in construction too, and the older you get the more you realise the sense in a lot of the H & S , especilally around PPE. I pretty much wont go on to site these days without full PPE.

Was on site the other day and saw a young plumber core drilling out for a soil stack, had the glasses and the mask on but no ear protection, had to have a word as my hearing not great due to not taking ear defenders seriously when young.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@R120 I know dude I’ve been in construction now for 30 years and boy I wish I’d known about half the risks when I was younger.
When I think back it makes me cringe at some of the working conditions I worked in. ?
I totally agree with it all now the older you get the wiser you get.
The young ones still seem to try and exploit the rules and get away as much as they can though , also the old school tradesmen can a be difficult to re-educated.
If only they’d listen and realised the dangers involved.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My dad has Asbestosis - he wasn't in the trade, but was a diplomat who worked in a building riddled with the stuff. He doesn't have it bad, had lung issues and doctors couldn't figure it out until they asked him to see if any of the buildings he works in had asbestos issues, and sure enough that was it.

I think its quite a British thing - i work with a lot of Kiwsi and Aussies, they have it hammered in to them from a young age, they all turn up fully kitted out. Same goes with most of the good chippies etc that come over from Europe.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Tbh I’ve found exactly same with trades from other countries it’s the norm for them.
I deal with quite a lot of asbestos risks in my line of work as it’s mainly refurbs on old buildings. I don’t let my lads take any risks what so ever even with a full asbestos report I’m still always vigilant.
Hope alls well with your father.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
@knut7 that looks a really good bit of kit ??
Haven't used it much, but happy with it so far, a pretty stable platform for the gopro. I like the idea of putting protection in kit you already wear, so I'm using an Evoc FR Enduro with an integrated back protector too.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Haven't used it much, but happy with it so far, a pretty stable platform for the gopro. I like the idea of putting protection in kit you already wear, so I'm using an Evoc FR Enduro with an integrated back protector too.
Looks decent that camera mount , it’s clear there’s a need for a safe one . I agree I look for protection in the gear ,like backpack . And Iam always careful how I pack stuff that’s lumpy .

It’s the hot summer days that are dangerous , too hot to wear much at all . I came down the really rocky black at afan on a hot day this year , probably riding near my limit wearing shirts t shirt open face lid gloves and just knee pads . I went in for a shower when I got to the campsite a met a guy looking at his back and side in the mirror , he had some horrible bruising and had just come off on the same decent .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles