Hi there from Australia. 10+ years on Eebs.

Animalector

Jan 2, 2021
Cairns, Australia
Hello there from Sunny Queensland Australia. My name is Andy aka. Animalector or TheAnimalector on Youtube.

I live most of the way towards the top of Australia (Cairns) where it's been around 35deg C for the past couple of months. Only now are we starting to get some wet weather action to cool things off.

I've ben into EBikes for the past 10 years or so. Building my first Dual Suspension Ebike with an old Raceline 110mm XC bike with a hub motor and a LiFePO4 battery duct-taped into the triangle.

Next was a 5500W E-Moto (with pedals) using a frame from Croatia called a Greyborg. It weighed in at 55kg, did 80km/h had two speed pedal input and used moto wheels and pit-bike suspension front and rear. It was super fun but way too illegal for street use and I could not find enough places to ride offroad in Melbourne, where we were living at the time.

Then, I built up a Bafang BBS02 on a Dual Suspension Diamond Back frame. This one used a "Dolphin" battery using 18650 cells which I welded myself.

Next was a Norco DH Team with a BBS02 again. this time I went "full custom" tab welding a custom shape battery pack and integrating a nice aluminium case into the triangle for a sleek factory finish. After bottoming out the motor on a rock, I tried a cyclone 1650W setup for a while, but went back to the BBS02 for a smoother, quieter ride..

I proceeded to build up 4 other bikes for mates (Norco Shore BBS02, x2 roadbikes with TSDZ and a Step-through granny bike with TSDZ). After all this, I thought I should make the leap to a factory-style bike. Seeing a market for lower priced OEM ebikes, I sourced an Ebike from China. Two actually! They arrived in one piece, and this was my first expensive lesson in Quality Control (lack of?) in China. Between these two bikes, one was "straight" the other had an obvious welding skew to the head tube. The chain also rubbed on the tyre when on the big cog. The bikes were still amazing fun to ride, with the Early Bafang Max drive (350W torque sensing). They were very long with a 500mm'ish chain stay length, could climb anything and not even think about looping out, but Wheelies.... Forget it!!

After that I got serious about OEM ebikes. I travelled to China to visit factories. I found a supplier I liked who were willing to work with me on a project, and proceeded to work with them to develop a frame. I was actually standing in a factory looking at the 3d printed prototype of the Dengfu M09 (Luna X1), but alas, I was not a fan of the frame design.

So, that's where I'm at - I've got a cool ebike that I love to ride. I've picked up a bucket-load of experience along the way and I'm looking forward to ebikes changing the game over the coming years.

IMG_20201231_070901.jpg

IMG_20201231_071035.jpg

DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0102.JPG

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
So cool . I see guys riding bikes like these occasionally. And I met a guy who's son was fanging around on a little one once . The kid was quite little. Its cool how cops in Australia give zero fucks about illegal eebs . Well in Canberra anyway. Although I wouldn't want to get stopped by a vehicle inspector on one . Those guys are total fuckwits .

Animalector

Jan 2, 2021
Cairns, Australia
Its cool how cops in Australia give zero fucks about illegal eebs . Well in Canberra anyway.
I prefer not to risk it. Although, so long as you're not riding like a maniac between traffic doing 50km/h without pedalling, chances are you'll be overlooked.
I think the 25km/h limit is absurd. I sit between 30 and 40km/h on my roadie (non 'E). Like others have mentioned 40km/h would be more appropriate in my opinion and at those speeds I think more commuters would be open to the idea of riding to work. But that's a discussion for another thread...

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum.

Fellow Bafang believer here (FS MTB fitted with a BBS01, now my wife’s bike). My main bike is a Giant Trance e+pro. As far as torque, being quiet and running longer per charge, the BBS01 Bafang leaves my Trance for dead. Pity it only has square taper BB axle, otherwise I would’ve built a proper enduro spec around it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My apologies to @Animalector but that final photo in his stream of four pics has to be a contender for the ugly bike of the year competition! I almost feel guilty because I have never designed and built a bike, nor converted an existing bike to "e", but I can recognise ugly when I see it.

Animalector

Jan 2, 2021
Cairns, Australia
Hahaha. Ok it wasn't super pretty. But it was awesome. 200mm suspension travel.

*** Edit *** I prefer to say it looked "unique"

Sometimes you just build and ride what you can get. My nearest city (Cairns) has only 154k people so not a lot of choices.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My apologies to @Animalector but that final photo in his stream of four pics has to be a contender for the ugly bike of the year competition! I almost feel guilty because I have never designed and built a bike, nor converted an existing bike to "e", but I can recognise ugly when I see it.
Come on Steve, don’t you recognise a proper DH donour bike when you see one? ?

Granted it’s not an EEB. Technically it would be an EDHB but the acronym hasn’t been coined yet (may never be), so there isn’t a fashion catwalk to parade those... ?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I use EEB for anything EEEE not just Electric Enduro Bike.. Otherwise we could have a RoadEEE MTBEE EEB and D-HEE
Appreciate the work that you do... and can only imagine the wealth of experience you’ve gained over the years.

If it’s your passion then you’re having fun. You’d have a fair excuse if you used WHEEE for all your creations. ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles