Hi...thanks for letting me play

bpwhistler

Aug 15, 2020
Utah
I've owned several mountain bikes through the years. I'm older now and don't enjoy working so hard. I've been watching eMTB's for a long time waiting for them to reach the level I wanted. There's a Nicolai I really like...but it's pretty heavy. It has the tech, but the weight scares me. I want the Nicolai's specs with a Turbo Levo's weight. Hopefully I'm not dreaming! LOL Cheers!

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Welcome! I think eMTBs will definitely get lighter over the next few years, it just depends how long you want to wait for one. I really liked the light weight of the Levo SL and the Lapierre EZesty, but those bikes were a lot more pricey than mine. I figured if I keep on waiting for the technology to improve, I'll never end up having one. Just pick something nice and go for it ;) the weight kinda disappears when you're riding

bpwhistler

Aug 15, 2020
Utah
I HOPE the weight ‘disappears’ when I’m riding. The idea of throwing around 50-60 pounds on the trail is sort of overwhelming for this old guy. It’s like hauling around a big bag of concrete. My last non motorized MTB weighed in the mid twenties.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I could go either way with the weight. With having the motor i like a lot of what the heavier bike does but at the same time theres a few things id like to have a lighter emtb for. With the motor i think its a wash. Once youre used to your bike youll be able to stay in the sweet spot, the fulcrum, and move it intuitively. I love the stability of the heavier bike in the loose gravel or baby heads and it just sticks in the corners. On the other hand the lighter bike is a bit quicker side to side swapping lanes or tight turn to tight turn and sometimes i want the bike lighter when i go for a big pull to get over something. In all honesty id like to have an sl emtb but itd be after i got a 46-52lb emtb. That nicolai with the bosch gen4 would be a top choice for sure. I love my now 52lb emtb in the park everywhere and can swap turns no problem in comparison . The only time i want lighter is because im looking for new gaps that require a big pull and thats when i notice the weight and really only then and my recent shoulder injury lets me know along with my weak attempt. Im used to my bike and i can slide that thing through any tech or steep trail ive taken any bike on. People that say they arent good bikes on tech is still adapting from their lighter weight acoustic bike. Yes they arent quite as quick, especially at those slowrr speeds, but you become used to it and you use other advantages of the emtb, namely the stability because theyre not as easily kicked around. The difference tgere isnt drastic.That helps hitting jumps when its windy too. Night and day in that situation

bpwhistler

Aug 15, 2020
Utah
I'll be honest. I like the Nicolai because it has all the tech specs (except weight) I have been dreaming about. However, if the Turbo Levo had a 500/14 Speedhub with E-14 shifters and Gates belt drive...I'd buy it in a second. Even if it was more expensive!! LOL

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I do like the low maintenance , no der to rip off thing of the E-14 /gates setup but i wouldnt want all the weight on my rear wheel/swingarm. Nicolei must be close to their internal drivetrain theyve been working on. Ive been waiting for tgat to make an appearance. They should move that E-14 hub to within the pivot of a high single pivot bike. Have all the weight centralized and low and unsprung weight low. Im really surprised an emtb company hasnt done it yet. Everything needed is readily available

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles