Hi, newbie here.

peeyjay

Feb 23, 2021
qld australia
Has anyone purchase 2021 e160 500? Just want to confirm that the dash is a cheap and simple grey lcd with no walk feature and if your bike came with an under seat toolkit as mentioned on Merida website?
Not sure if this is how they come or if mine was changed out before sale.

TIA,
Peeyjay.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I've bought two 160s (Limited and a 700) in the last few months and both came with good black and white displays, both with walk mode and both with the mini toolkit under the saddle.

peeyjay

Feb 23, 2021
qld australia
I've bought two 160s (Limited and a 700) in the last few months and both came with good black and white displays, both with walk mode and both with the mini toolkit under the saddle.
Ahh ok. Maybe I just don’t know how walk works. This is my dash. Is yours like this? I didn’t get toolkit so I’ll contact dealer.

CEF4656A-89BC-4780-89E3-CA47FAB1E177.jpeg

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Ahh ok. Maybe I just don’t know how walk works. This is my dash. Is yours like this? I didn’t get toolkit so I’ll contact dealer.

View attachment 53948
With the E7000 display, when choosing the assist level, to select 'walk' you press and hold the down button until 'walk' is displayed then press and hold the same button again to activate. As soon as you stop pressing the button 'walk' is deactivated

Not sure if it's the same with the 5003 display that you have

Worth a try !

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
We have the separated display and controls on our 160s, E7000 so not like your one which appears to be combined unit...

peeyjay

Feb 23, 2021
qld australia
With the E7000 display, when choosing the assist level, to select 'walk' you press and hold the down button until 'walk' is displayed then press and hold the same button again to activate. As soon as you stop pressing the button 'walk' is deactivated

Not sure if it's the same with the 5003 display that you have

Worth a try !
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Sheeny10

Jan 6, 2021
England
I also just purchased a Merida e160 500 and gets delivered tomorrow , the display does not have Bluetooth connection too ?only found out after purchase , so no playing with settings for us on the new ep8 motor

jackson500

Mar 12, 2021
Australia
Can the display not be updated, i hope it can as I've just ordered a 500, was going to go 700 but got an amazing deal on a 500, enough to upgrade a few things and still come out on top, display and Bluetooth are on the list, also thinking I'll get the Z1 bomber fork as well :) 4 long panful months to wait tho :(

peeyjay

Feb 23, 2021
qld australia
Can the display not be updated, i hope it can as I've just ordered a 500, was going to go 700 but got an amazing deal on a 500, enough to upgrade a few things and still come out on top, display and Bluetooth are on the list, also thinking I'll get the Z1 bomber fork as well :) 4 long panful months to wait tho :(
I believe you can replace the display unit. You’ll need to replace the tyres too. I got puncture within the first 5km of riding.

jackson500

Mar 12, 2021
Australia
thanks peejay, really? wow that's pretty disappointing, is this a random thing do you think or are the tyres on the 500 just crap from the shop?
what tyres do you recommend? you have a 500? any other tips on what to upgrade, seems like a pretty good bike as delivered, but happy to take advice from someone who isn't selling me things :)

peeyjay

Feb 23, 2021
qld australia
thanks peejay, really? wow that's pretty disappointing, is this a random thing do you think or are the tyres on the 500 just crap from the shop?
what tyres do you recommend? you have a 500? any other tips on what to upgrade, seems like a pretty good bike as delivered, but happy to take advice from someone who isn't selling me things :)
im no expert but I do some pretty big jumps and gnarly terrain. Original Tyres are rubbish. I put tubeless maxxis assegai on front and minion on rear. Pretty impressed with the tyres I chose. Also there’s an annoying rattle in the new motor. Sounds horrible but that’s just how they are apparently. In hindsight I’d have bought the 700 but the 500 seems good enough for me.

Sammy2905

Apr 28, 2021
Canberra
Hi there, I recently took delivery of my e160 500 and noticed an intermittent ringing sound while riding and narrowed down to what appears to be the front brake pad occasionally bouncing agaunst the disc. When I took to place of purchase, I was told it was because of the flexibility of the forks and I could upgrade to get rid of it. I’m calling bullshit - anyone else have/heard of this?

Sammy2905

Apr 28, 2021
Canberra
I’ve done over 200km on mine so far - no tyre problems.

peeyjay

Feb 23, 2021
qld australia
Hi there, I recently took delivery of my e160 500 and noticed an intermittent ringing sound while riding and narrowed down to what appears to be the front brake pad occasionally bouncing agaunst the disc. When I took to place of purchase, I was told it was because of the flexibility of the forks and I could upgrade to get rid of it. I’m calling bullshit - anyone else have/heard of this?
No ringing on mine so far. Done 300km. Only noise is motor rattle which apparently is normal. Rear shock seems to be leaking too but dealer reckons it’s normal. I’m calling bullshit on that too.

Juzzawuzza

Apr 16, 2022
Australia
Yes, I have the same bike and yes the brakes ring every once in a while. Seems weird but I imagine it’s the pads moving around or the rotors are a bit bendy. Out of interest did people get the charging adapter to charge the battery off the bike with the bike purchase??

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
My 700 came with the charging adapter. Very handy as I often charge the battery without the bike when staying in motels etc

Flying RV

Jun 1, 2022
Australia
I recently bought an eone fourty 500 and it came with the adaptor to charge it out of bike. My brake also makes a the occasional ringing sound but it is at the rear. I have tried adjusting it but to no avail. I putting on the cheap rear wheel that flex when power is put down.

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia

Mine did too
Finned Brake Pads on the 700 catch the wind and ping against the rotors
Just changed to 'normal' pads and the ringing decreased massively

A bit cheaper than a new fork too !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles