Hi From USA (Michigan)

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
Hey Guys Age 64 Have had Quad Heart Bypass 3 Years Ago. Started to ride Bikes for health reasons. Rode dirt Bikes Aggressively for 35 years Worked out at Gym for 25 years : Fortunately I didn't have a Heart Attack. But I should have : Actually was told by the surgeon My Blockages on the widow Maker were 92%. He was amazed My Heart had not failed 2-3 years earlier.
Anyway Currently using Trek Top Fuel and for Road Trek Verve 3 :
Joined the Forum to find a EMTB FS that I can also use for 20 mile Rides with Friends My Age or Older .

As Stated I'm a Veteran Dirt Biker: I live in the country So there are dirt trails and fire-roads Galore : Plenty of long rolling Paved blacktop as well.
Likely I won't be doing any Serious Trail Riding : Thinking about a Trek Rail 5 or Trek Powerfly FS 5 . Something I could use for Trails and the Road.
I do occasionally use my Top Fuel when I go for a 20-30 Group ride on paved trails. But usually take My Verve as it's more suited :

Should I get a Class 3 (Where my options are limited) ?? Suggestions are appreciated ? I did get to take a short test ride on Giants Stance E + . But it seemed to punk out on the paved road I was allowed to try it on fairly quick.
I'm seeing in Reviews that Bosch Gen4 CX is a Sweet setup . That's why I was looking at the Treks .
THANKS

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My folks live in Michigan, and I grew up in South Lyon riding motocross most my life.

When I visit there with my ebikes, I'm told they are not allowed on any natural surface trails. Be sure to check the regulations about class 3... even on paved trails they maybe off limits.

As far a a good bike choice, that's not too punky. My local dealer in Louisville has good deals on BMC speedfox's so I bought one for my wife?. I put nice sweeping bars and comfy seat on it. It's now the xr200 of emtb's. And it's all "off the shelf" shimamo drive...with no flakey proprietary BS. Just a thought.

20190805_122035.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
That's too good for your wife !!! :)

Let me know if you want a pen-mistress ... I can pretend if it gets me one of them ;)

Have you tried it yourself ? (the bike - not having a pen-mistress).
I may take you up on that... as she is out of action for minute.

20191119_100345.jpg

I love the bike. It's far too nice for me.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I may take you up on that... as she is out of action for minute.

View attachment 25944

I love the bike. It's far too nice for me.

I don't really have a leg to stand on here, but I'm not feeling her position is really ideal. I know people say get up out of the saddle, but you can still keep your feet on the pedals, or is she the free ride stream jumping champion in the house hold ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
She is freeride alright. Free from control, free from balance, and free from grace... on a bicycle anyway.

She actually cracked her femer on this ride off the side of the bridge. I'm getting her a stationary bike where she can virtually ride in the safety of the livingroom.

I felt terrible but she insisted I take a picture!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
She is freeride alright. Free from control, free from balance, and free from grace... on a bicycle anyway.

She actually cracked her femer on this ride off the side of the bridge. I'm getting her a stationary bike where she can virtually ride in the safety of the livingroom.

I felt terrible but she insisted I take a picture!

Hope she's ok (you know, apart from a cracked femur). I did wonder if she hadn't gone all Dukes of Hazard on the bridge or something .. Did you do what my OH always says when I've fallen off "Why did you do that?" ..

At least she's dressed so you can find her in the leaves.

I thought you had a handy book about how to mountain bike ? Have you been hogging it ?

I think the three things I've learnt which would have avoided a large % of my off's, but are difficult to apply in the early days, Relax, look ahead, trust the bike.

I'm not sure about the stationary bike in the living room though .. Isn't outside safer ? There's tables, coffee cups, televisions, all the hard parts of any cushioned furniture. Not to mention that there's really no coming back from the psychological setback of an in lounge unplanned dismount.

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
My folks live in Michigan, and I grew up in South Lyon riding motocross most my life.

When I visit there with my ebikes, I'm told they are not allowed on any natural surface trails. Be sure to check the regulations about class 3... even on paved trails they maybe off limits.

As far a a good bike choice, that's not too punky. My local dealer in Louisville has good deals on BMC speedfox's so I bought one for my wife?. I put nice sweeping bars and comfy seat on it. It's now the xr200 of emtb's. And it's all "off the shelf" shimamo drive...with no flakey proprietary BS. Just a thought.

View attachment 25933
Appreciate the Input : I live all the way on the North West side of Michigan. Vast majority of Trails around here is our own Property. Where I'm at you have to have a Minimum of 10 Acres to even build a Home. Most of the LBS in My Area Which is still 50 miles away Are Trek,Specialized and 1 Giant Dealer :

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Appreciate the Input : I live all the way on the North West side of Michigan. Vast majority of Trails around here is our own Property. Where I'm at you have to have a Minimum of 10 Acres to even build a Home. Most of the LBS in My Area Which is still 50 miles away Are Trek,Specialized and 1 Giant Dealer :
My grand parents lived in Beulah, my mom God rest her soul, grew up around NW Michigan and I still have folks up that way. Absolutely love the area.

Oddly enough your arrangement is similar to mine in KY. Lots of private land to do whatever you want.

I'm sure you'll find a nice bike. I dont think you can go wrong with a new specialized. One of the guys at 508 ebikes, who is also a motocross rider, told me the 2019 Specs are hands down the most powerful bikes they sell, and that the reliability thing is solved as of 2019.?. I'm happy with my Trance... but it is punky and funky.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hope she's ok (you know, apart from a cracked femur). I did wonder if she hadn't gone all Dukes of Hazard on the bridge or something .. Did you do what my OH always says when I've fallen off "Why did you do that?" ..

At least she's dressed so you can find her in the leaves.

I thought you had a handy book about how to mountain bike ? Have you been hogging it ?

I think the three things I've learnt which would have avoided a large % of my off's, but are difficult to apply in the early days, Relax, look ahead, trust the bike.

I'm not sure about the stationary bike in the living room though .. Isn't outside safer ? There's tables, coffee cups, televisions, all the hard parts of any cushioned furniture. Not to mention that there's really no coming back from the psychological setback of an in lounge unplanned dismount.
My goodness you can wreck a thread, but dam it .... that's funny.

Last edited:

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
My grand parents lived in Beulah, my mom God rest her soul, grew up around NW Michigan and I still have folks up that way. Absolutely love the area.

Oddly enough your arrangement is similar to mine in KY. Lots of private land to do whatever you want.

I'm sure you'll find a nice bike. I dont think you can go wrong with a new specialized. One of the guys at 508 ebikes, who is also a motocross rider, told me the 2019 Specs are hands down the most powerful bikes they sell, and that the reliability thing is solved as of 2019.?. I'm happy with my Trance... but it is punky and funky.
My Dad's Side of the Family is From Beulah : Sells and Fleetwood : I'm sure it's gone now but My Grandparents use to run a Restaurant in Beulah : I currently live more South in Twinlake/Whitehall Area : I see in Some other forums that Some Guys are using FS Ebikes for everything : Even Commuting : I'm Retired So I don't need a Bike for anything but having Fun. ;)

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My Dad's Side of the Family is From Beulah : Sells and Fleetwood : I'm sure it's gone now but My Grandparents use to run a Restaurant in Beulah : I currently live more South in Twinlake/Whitehall Area : I see in Some other forums that Some Guys are using FS Ebikes for everything : Even Commuting : I'm Retired So I don't need a Bike for anything but having Fun. ;)
Lol.. it's small world. My grandfather used to own the bowling alley/bar in Beulah. I'm 99% certain our ancestors new each other. I'm now 50 year's but I'm the youngest of 5. My oldest brother was your age.

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
Lol.. it's small world. My grandfather used to own the bowling alley/bar in Beulah. I'm 99% certain our ancestors new each other. I'm now 50 year's but I'm the youngest of 5. My oldest brother was your age.
Was Your Age? Did he pass away ? Sorry if that's the case: Yeah they probably did know one another : Last time I was up that way was 5 years ago. Not a lot has changed : Nice Talking with you :

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles