Hi from Bend, Oregon, USA

Bumbershoot

Sep 11, 2018
Oregon
Hello from a great part of the world for bikers! My wife and I felt like we'd aged out of the sport (mid-sixties and pushing seventy), but we have some friends (long time mountain bikers who discovered EMTB riding in Latin America) who they began pushing us to consider taking up riding again on e-bikes. Additionally, we were in Italy in May, and noticed all the e-bikes being ridden, especially by folks like us with grey hair.

Long story short, we both picked up 2018 Specialized Levo bikes in July, and we've been riding some trails, but mostly on the extensive collection of Forest Service roads in the area. Unfortunately, E-bikes are prohibited on federal (Forest Service and BLM) land where motorized traffic is disallowed, which excludes us from riding virtually all of the local mountain bike trails in the area.
Lower-Whoops-Trail-Bend-Copy.jpg

This hasn't slowed us down much, as we're enjoying the trails and roads we're allowed on. We're also pretty cautious, as bruises and breaks don't heal up as quickly as they used to, so the Forest Service roads suit us. The best thing about riding an e-bike for us is that a lot of great riding terrain is just up the hill from our home. With an e-bike, it's been easy to get to - no shuttling - just jump on the bike and ride! Within 20 minutes we're deep in the solitude of forest land, which plenty of energy left (both battery and muscle) for exploring.

So far, this had been really fun - there aren't many things in life that can make old geezers feel like they're 19 again! We're having a blast!

Thanks for the great forum, too. I'm having great fun poking around here.

Bumbershoot

Sep 11, 2018
Oregon
Hi and welcome to the forum, bet there are some stonking trails to ride in your neck of the woods :)
There are something like 435 miles of trails in the immediate area, 379 are in the Phil'l Trail Complex alone, which is close to the west of town. These don't do much good for e-bike riders, though, as most of them are closed to e-bikes. Still, I'm finding plenty of places to ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles