Hi from another New Zealander

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
Hi All

Like newbie ChisB NZ who just joined I too am from Auckland New Zealand and also purchased a Merida e one sixty 800.

My partner got the hard tail eBig Nine.

Had this for 2 months in a very wet winter but spring is just about here.Looking forward to doing the Timber Trail again which we have done a few times on our (probably never to be used again) non motorised mountain bikes in the next week or so.

Really impressed with the bike and a friend who gave me a hard time re the motorised bike is now looking at one after riding it.

929D32F1-F2FA-4D00-A3DB-7705000CCFD0.jpeg

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Welcome Mike. We can exchange stories on the 800. We did the Timber Trail (well the first half) a couple of years ago on non motorised bikes. Keen to do it again with the Meridas. Just wondering about the range though, as from memory the first day is 55Kms with about 15Kms of uphill at the beginning. Probably OK as long as you're not in boost too much. Would be good to have a spare battery (especially as my wife and I have identical bikes) but don't fancy carrying it in a back pack. Need to figure out a way of strapping it to the frame.

Just bought a couple of Abus Bordo Alarm locks for our bikes. These bikes do get a lot of attention. Had an undesirable poking around our bikes outside a cafe a few weeks back. Figure a loud alarm will put them off! But they're not the sort of bike you'd leave locked up on the street unattended for too long.

I have a couple of other nice bikes in the garage which may not get much use now. Once you go electric, it's hard to go back! Been hitting the trails at Woodhill way more than I used to. It's such a blast!

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
Hi Chris
I think you will be fine for the Timber Trail,well I hope so as we will be doing it soon.Like electric cars there is range anxiety in the beginning when you are unfamiliar as to your real world distance. However unlike cars you can still pedal. Wish Sharmino had a lighter smaller capacity battery as a extra backup or for use when you only need a smaller battery for shorter rides.

Like you my partner uses the same battery so we might consider an extra battery which can be swapped mid ride between us.The key is not to have 2 flat batteries and 1 fully charged as someone is going to miss out (me)

The photo above is from the trails around Kinlock by Lake Taupō. They are really good as well.

We are planning on doing the Waikato River trails,Alps 2 ocean cycle in the South Isdand and Redwoods at Rotorua. Really looking forward to these.

Is your bike 25 or 32 km/hr limited ? Unlike other countries we can have 32km/hr. When I first took the bike for a test ride it was cutting out at 25. Got it changed to the 32 km/hr.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Chris
I think you will be fine for the Timber Trail,well I hope so as we will be doing it soon.Like electric cars there is range anxiety in the beginning when you are unfamiliar as to your real world distance. However unlike cars you can still pedal. Wish Sharmino had a lighter smaller capacity battery as a extra backup or for use when you only need a smaller battery for shorter rides.

Like you my partner uses the same battery so we might consider an extra battery which can be swapped mid ride between us.The key is not to have 2 flat batteries and 1 fully charged as someone is going to miss out (me)

The photo above is from the trails around Kinlock by Lake Taupō. They are really good as well.

We are planning on doing the Waikato River trails,Alps 2 ocean cycle in the South Isdand and Redwoods at Rotorua. Really looking forward to these.

Is your bike 25 or 32 km/hr limited ? Unlike other countries we can have 32km/hr. When I first took the bike for a test ride it was cutting out at 25. Got it changed to the 32 km/hr.

Thanks Mike. Very interested to hear how you get on with the Timber Trail, i.e. did you make it without the battery going flat. You're a long way from a power point :) We're heading to Nelson and on to the West Coast in December to do the West Coast Wilderness trail plus some other trails down there. Looking forward to that. Not being able to fly the batteries is a real issue. We've bought a couple of Biknd Jetpack bags (see photo) to transport our bikes. We're planning to ship them by road and fly down. Sort of a prototype trip for future South Island rides.

Yeah I've thought about spare battery logistics as well. A bit of swapping around will do the trick. One of the attractions for me in the Merida is that it uses a standard Shimano battery - which I figure may be more available in 10 years (or for updates) than a proprietary in-frame battery.

Yep I got our bikes upgraded to 32 Km/hr but I think the motor cuts out at more like 30 Km/hr. This is a big improvement over 25 Km/hr which is just not fast enough. I can live with 30 Km/hr :)
Biknd bag.jpg

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
We drove to the South Island last November and did the Wilderness trail and the Queen Charlotte track with a break at Abel Tasman. We ran out of time in Nelson to do Dun mountain trails but will do it next time. Put the bikes in the boot of my car with the rear seat down.Plenty of room for luggage in the rear seat and bikes are safe inside the car. Can get 2 bikes disassembled/assembled in about 15 minutes.
When we do Alps 2 sea we will drive again however to make it worthwhile will do some others which are hard to get to unless you have a car.

FYI Wilderness trail is really easy. Queen Charlotte is a lot harder with some very steep hills however now with EMTB should be ok.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Kia ora guys. Chris B if you're heading down the West coast try if you can to head up to Denniston Pateau 15mins North of Westport. It is a high plateau that they have done up to retell the story of the miners & community that settled there. The access up there at the time was via coal buckets that used to rise & drop at horrendous speeds. Anyway it is big long smooth hill if you want to ride up & poke around. The landscape is something very different & quite a cool With a fantastic ride back down on the road.
Always plenty of good riding down here in Nelson too!
cheers

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hi guys,
If you feel like riding in Keiteriteri mtb Park when you are down this way drop me a line. I’m in Motueka. Usually spend 4 days a week up there working or riding.
My wife has a Merida E120 800 with Di2 which she really enjoys.
I have the E160 900e. Our friends have E160 800 and E120 800.
Certainly is great riding in Nelson.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey guys,
Thanks for your tips & offers! Looks like we should start a Merida Ebike spouses club Bonz! I didn't look at the 120. I was thinking originally that the 120 was going to be OK for me (until I rode the 160). I think I got pretty much the last two E160's in the country. I was pretty chuffed when my wife liked the 160. It's a bit of an overkill for her. She's no mountain biker and I figured she would want a step through. But she loves the 160 and now we can go pretty much anywhere together. I liken it to a Range Rover LOL.

Thanks for the advice re Denniston Plateau Doug. I've been looking at Charming Creek as well. Have you done that trail? We are so spoiled for choice when it comes to amazing trails in NZ. I think we'll blast through the West Coast Wilderness Trail on the ebikes. We're heading up to Karamea for a night before we ride the WCW trail.

We don't have a lot of time in the Nelson area unfortunately. We fly in, pick up our bikes and then leave for the West Coast the next morning. There's a bit of logistics involved in shipping our bikes overland and flying in (not to mention expense). If we had more time, we'd drive down - but that would add 4 days to the trip. So we'll have to do the Nelson trails on another trip. We did have a taste a couple of years back on a trip to Nelson.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Hi. Will be visiting Daughter who lives in Tauranga.....She introduced,me to MTBs cycling the redwood trails ..I came home and bought an EMTB and love it.....want to,hire an EMTB for her to try when we visit in January...do you know,any hire companies in the Area? Or will.I have to buy her one!
Have fun

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
Well as per my original post my friend (who said he would not be getting an ETMB prior to riding mine) has gone out and brought 2 Merida E one Twenty 800 models for himself and his wife. Unfortunately all the 2019 models have had a price increase.
The 2019 models are black and red in our market for these models.

The only minor issue I have had with my e one sixty was the battery was hard to insert. This was caused by a loose bottom plate where the battery inserts which just required a tighten up on its first check up service.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Well as per my original post my friend (who said he would not be getting an ETMB prior to riding mine) has gone out and brought 2 Merida E one Twenty 800 models for himself and his wife. Unfortunately all the 2019 models have had a price increase.

The only minor issue I have had with my e one sixty was the battery was hard to insert. This was caused by a loose bottom plate where the battery inserts which just required a tighten up on its first check up service.

Ha. More members of the NZ Merida EMTB Spouses Club Mike. It's funny how people change their minds when they actually ride an EMTB. Most people who dis them have never ridden one.

duk916

Jul 12, 2018
New Zealand

duk916

Jul 12, 2018
New Zealand
Hi All

Like newbie ChisB NZ who just joined I too am from Auckland New Zealand and also purchased a Merida e one sixty 800.

My partner got the hard tail eBig Nine.

Had this for 2 months in a very wet winter but spring is just about here.Looking forward to doing the Timber Trail again which we have done a few times on our (probably never to be used again) non motorised mountain bikes in the next week or so.

Really impressed with the bike and a friend who gave me a hard time re the motorised bike is now looking at one after riding it.

View attachment 4288
Hi Mike, i have done the Waikato river trail ,Timber trail on a non e bike did them both as day rides. Im looking at doing them again on the ebike. Im going to Wood hill in November and regularly ride Rotorua and Tokoroa. My favorite ride so far has to be the Old Ghost road.

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
Hi Mike, i have done the Waikato river trail ,Timber trail on a non e bike did them both as day rides. Im looking at doing them again on the ebike. Im going to Wood hill in November and regularly ride Rotorua and Tokoroa. My favorite ride so far has to be the Old Ghost road.
Yep have watched the videos of the Old Ghost Road. Looks amazing however not sure you could do it suitably on a ETMB due to no power to recharge batteries.
Talking of batteries EVO cycles have the E8010 battery on sale for $719.99. (To those out of NZ that is £367 €407 ) that’s a good price.

I am tempted but thinking they might increase capacity in the existing format soon.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Yeah sorry about that. What are you doing over there in Wales Kiwi? I lived in Cardiff for about 4 years way back in the 80's. I'm not sure they even had MTB's then! Must be some good trails around your way.
Arrived here in the UK in 92 and still loving it, moved to Wales 3 years ago. What am I doing here? Travel and culture mate ?NZ is such a small place with very little history. Coming over here has really opened my eyes.
Mountain biking is huge over here too. Ebikes are finally getting there in the UK, its huge in Europe.
Got some great trails here in Wales but they are different to the good old NZ trails. I get back to NZ every 3-4 years to catch up with everyone which is great.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Yep have watched the videos of the Old Ghost Road. Looks amazing however not sure you could do it suitably on a ETMB due to no power to recharge batteries.
Talking of batteries EVO cycles have the E8010 battery on sale for $719.99. (To those out of NZ that is £367 €407 ) that’s a good price.

I am tempted but thinking they might increase capacity in the existing format soon.

Yeah Old Ghost Road looks amazing. But it's about 80 Km so you'd need to do it with two batteries. And you'd need to do it in good weather to avoid the risk of dieing of exposure if the weather changes! I saw some guys on YouTube choppering in. That would be fun.

That E8010 battery is a good price Mike! Will they get higher capacities soon? Probably not massively. As I understand it, the batteries all use 18650 Li ion cells. These are increasing in capacity with development but not at a rapid rate. I read someone doubling about every 10 years but this can't go on forever due to the limitations of the battery chemistry. A lighter smaller capacity would be useful..

But where would you carry it? It would be damn heavy in a backpack.

You could get one of these
Thule Tour Rack 100090 » Sport & Cargo NZ

But not sure if the 2.8 tyre would clear the stays. Interesting to try it or maybe swap out to a smaller tyre when you used it.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand

Price increase is right, I have just looked at the new price for my 900e. Gone from $8500 to $10000 !!!!! Ouch.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Arrived here in the UK in 92 and still loving it, moved to Wales 3 years ago. What am I doing here? Travel and culture mate ?NZ is such a small place with very little history. Coming over here has really opened my eyes.
Mountain biking is huge over here too. Ebikes are finally getting there in the UK, its huge in Europe.
Got some great trails here in Wales but they are different to the good old NZ trails. I get back to NZ every 3-4 years to catch up with everyone which is great.
Great stuff. I see that Steve Jones from the EMTB YouTube channel is Welsh. He's done a few rides around the Black Mountains. He started a recent ride from Llanthony Priory. That was one of our favourite places in Wales. Beautiful and historic.

EMTBs are getting more popular here too. The guys at Woodhill say they are seeing more and more. Spoke to someone I know the other day and he's just bought a Trek Powerfly HT and he's just turned 80! So I'm hoping to be riding for quite some time yet. Just don't think my legacy bikes are going to get much use from now on.

Having a 32 Km/hr limit is also great here. A lot better than 25 Km/hr

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Price increase is right, I have just looked at the new price for my 900e. Gone from $8500 to $10000 !!!!! Ouch.
Yeah and it looks pretty much the same bike - even the same colour. Can you see any differences? The claim the frame is better. The 800 has got a chain guard fitted now. Mine hasn't got one - but I haven't missed it (yet).

These bikes were well priced originally - maybe to seed the market. Now they are playing catch up.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Great stuff. I see that Steve Jones from the EMTB YouTube channel is Welsh. He's done a few rides around the Black Mountains. He started a recent ride from Llanthony Priory. That was one of our favourite places in Wales. Beautiful and historic.

EMTBs are getting more popular here too. The guys at Woodhill say they are seeing more and more. Spoke to someone I know the other day and he's just bought a Trek Powerfly HT and he's just turned 80! So I'm hoping to be riding for quite some time yet. Just don't think my legacy bikes are going to get much use from now on.

Having a 32 Km/hr limit is also great here. A lot better than 25 Km/hr

Where I live in Wales reminds me very much of home and the Welsh are so friendly especially when the rugby is on. I have had some cracking nights out over here post rugby matches.???

I have a number of legacy bikes/frames which I am in the process of putting up for sale as I just do not ride them very much anymore..... so need to be realistic and move them on so someone can enjoy them.

100% agree, I know it’s only 7kph but 32kph really does make a difference to the ebike riding experience. It’s a real shame we are locked into the limit here ?

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Yeah and it looks pretty much the same bike - even the same colour. Can you see any differences? The claim the frame is better. The 800 has got a chain guard fitted now. Mine hasn't got one - but I haven't missed it (yet).

These bikes were well priced originally - maybe to seed the market. Now they are playing catch up.
The bike looks exactly the same to me although Carlos on the Merida thread has pictures of the 2019 bike in black an gold.
Maybe that model will have a few changes.
New price sure puts the 900e up with some exotic company, not quite the great deal they were for the build spec.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles