Hi Fellow E mountain bikers.

Ex Crosser

Dec 2, 2020
Thame
I am Mike, I am new to proper mountain biking, although I did moto x for a decade many years ago....I brought a 2021 Whyte E160 RS.. I absolutely love the bike, I try and do a 25 to 35 mile ride normally on a Sunday through the Chilterns, it amazes me how steep a hill these bikes can climb, I’m in my 60’s, fairly fit and I cannot wait to try out some of these xc courses and natural trails we have in this country next year once the country opens back up!!!

Ex Crosser

Dec 2, 2020
Thame
Hi.... I suppose it doesn’t matter whether it’s a motorbike or e mountain bike it’s a similar Adrenalin rush we get.... I’m very lucky here, I can cycle nearly all the way to the Ridgeway off road, then that where the playground starts. As I mentioned before... to see a really steep path, look at it and challenge myself to get to the top without stopping, great fun? What sort of bikes are you guys riding?

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I am on a Luna X1 which has a crazy powerful motor.....my only complaint is I have no way to adjust the assist levels.....its like 2 is not enough and 3 is too much, lol. But it will climb anything....and I mean anything, ,lol.

Ex Crosser

Dec 2, 2020
Thame
I am on a Luna X1 which has a crazy powerful motor.....my only complaint is I have no way to adjust the assist levels.....its like 2 is not enough and 3 is too much, lol. But it will climb anything....and I mean anything, ,lol.
I guess all bikes have their pro’s and cons, the E160 is such a confidence giver, I’ve covered 400 since Sept, these last few weeks have been very muddy, like soup, but the bike steers it’s way through it, like a knife through butter!! I can usually do around 60 miles on a full charge, mainly on eco and on steep hills EMB. My Nephew has a Giant E Trance pro 2, nice bike, but handling not as sure footed as the E160!!

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
Yup...another old-timer dirtbiker of more than 50 years. Just love my mountain bikes.
It's disappointing how evil the anti's are on the other forums. I've never quite seen so much hate. [shrug]

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Yup...another old-timer dirtbiker of more than 50 years. Just love my mountain bikes.
It's disappointing how evil the anti's are on the other forums. I've never quite seen so much hate. [shrug]
I gave up on one mtb forum ( which I won't name and is now defunct anyway,) after raving about a Haibike Fat Six a good few years ago ..if you think the hate is strong now ..it was totally vitriolic back then ..but I knew right then that this was the future ..
Bearing in mind that I didn't have an ebike back then but dared to say how much fun they were..at the time I was riding a Nomad & T130rs..and had been riding normal bikes for over 20 years ..if I hadn't been made of stronger stuff it could have given me a real complex ..such was the personal abuse..
Now that ebiking has taken off in such a big way I would like to feel vindicated in taking the stance that I did back then ..and finally offer a big fuck-you to everyone who gave me shit ( it would be nice to think that some of them are reading this ?)
Im also an oldie ( 63years young and getting younger every time I ride my E160rs )..and yep its the bike I've been waiting for all of my life ?

Ex Crosser

Dec 2, 2020
Thame
It’s unbelievable that you could have had so much abuse for enjoying a different way of riding a bike, people have been very judgemental these last 10 yrs, there is room for every biking activity? I had a Trek hard tail mountain before, it came out on dry days and small trails, since getting my E160 I go out in rain, strong winds, all weather really, the climbs really make me blow at the top, but what a feeling when you look at just what you have achieved? Where do you ride?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I live in North West Northumberland ..so most of my local riding is in the North Pennines / Cheviot Hills ..Lake District ..
Kielder is my local trail centre and I was an active trail builder for a few years ( Kielder Trail Reavers ).Hamsterley is also just over an hour away ..Glentress 1.45 hours
A group of us try to get one or two trips away each year..North West Highlands & The Caingorms are where we tend to gravitate to ( Torridon / Applecross / Ballater areas are favourites) ..but we have also had some great trips in the Peak District ...which is about as far south as we have ventured.
We keep saying that we need to ride in Wales ..but Scotland just keeps pulling us back ..
Hope you continue to enjoy your bike ..Great choice ! ?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
theres a lot of ex riders on here.. e biking seems to be the natural progression.
heres one of my fave pics from the old days :D
PICT0149.JPG

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
eMTB's are a natural progression for us old riders, haha. After my last trip to the Smokies in TN on my DR650 and exeperiencing a pretty hard crash, I decided that my future in hard core off roading was going to be on an eMTB. Same rush, lower speeds and great exercise. I will never give up my motorcycles though, lol. Currently ride a mint 99 VFR800 and a 2020 Africa Twin Base model. I am shocked when I look at my Luna X1 eMTB and realize it cost as much as I paid for my VFR. That's the one thing I can't get over...I think the prices are WAAAAY outta line on bikes in general and esepcially eMTB's!!
vfr1.jpg
AT1.jpg

Ex Crosser

Dec 2, 2020
Thame
eMTB's are a natural progression for us old riders, haha. After my last trip to the Smokies in TN on my DR650 and exeperiencing a pretty hard crash, I decided that my future in hard core off roading was going to be on an eMTB. Same rush, lower speeds and great exercise. I will never give up my motorcycles though, lol. Currently ride a mint 99 VFR800 and a 2020 Africa Twin Base model. I am shocked when I look at my Luna X1 eMTB and realize it cost as much as I paid for my VFR. That's the one thing I can't get over...I think the prices are WAAAAY outta line on bikes in general and esepcially eMTB's!! View attachment 46263 View attachment 46264
Nice bikes. I had a road Suzuki 250 GT back in 1975, along side a Husqvarna moto x bike, got rid of road bike before I was carrion food, did moto x for 10 yrs, a few breakages, but absolutely lived for it, needed a new bike, it was that or a house, then thought, I need something to keep fit with, got into playing Badminton, reached county level, had 40 yrs no major injuries, last year tore ligament in my knee, I used my Mountain bike for exercise and thought E bike next!! It’s great that if you want a bit of real exercise , turn the motor off, when you feel it burn too much, turn motor on, playtime begins!!

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Nice bikes. I had a road Suzuki 250 GT back in 1975, along side a Husqvarna moto x bike, got rid of road bike before I was carrion food, did moto x for 10 yrs, a few breakages, but absolutely lived for it, needed a new bike, it was that or a house, then thought, I need something to keep fit with, got into playing Badminton, reached county level, had 40 yrs no major injuries, last year tore ligament in my knee, I used my Mountain bike for exercise and thought E bike next!! It’s great that if you want a bit of real exercise , turn the motor off, when you feel it burn too much, turn motor on, playtime begins!!

Hahahah...nice!! You are exactly right too.

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
Started my passion for getting down and dirty in the woods in the 35 years ago with a 1948 Gs 250 2/ Ktm mono shock with rear drum brake, rode Scottish enduros and some North of England rounds whilst pedalling a Diamamodback Sorrento finally finished up with these 2
There's a few of us on here
IMG_0068.JPG
g

IMG_1315.JPG

Ex Crosser

Dec 2, 2020
Thame
Started my passion for getting down and dirty in the woods in the 35 years ago with a 1948 Gs 250 2/ Ktm mono shock with rear drum brake, rode Scottish enduros and some North of England rounds whilst pedalling a Diamamodback Sorrento finally finished up with these 2
There's a few of us on here
View attachment 46282 g

View attachment 46283
Nice Bikes... like nearly everyone says, Mountain biking is a quieter type of moto cross, when I finished racing the mono shock had not long been introduced, the likes of KTM, Honda CR 250/450,Kawasaki 250/500, they were water cooled too, very fast I had a twin shock Husqvarna 390, in the end I just could not compete with the new technology!!

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I am Mike, I am new to proper mountain biking, although I did moto x for a decade many years ago....I brought a 2021 Whyte E160 RS.. I absolutely love the bike, I try and do a 25 to 35 mile ride normally on a Sunday through the Chilterns, it amazes me how steep a hill these bikes can climb, I’m in my 60’s, fairly fit and I cannot wait to try out some of these xc courses and natural trails we have in this country next year once the country opens back up!!!
Hi Mike
I’ve got the same Whyte as you and agree it’s brilliant. I came from Motorbike trials.... (Montessa was my last bike)
.....but a lot of techniques are different and needed quite a bit of falling off to get used to! Geoff

Ex Crosser

Dec 2, 2020
Thame
Hi Geoff
Like most people say... mountain biking is just an extension of motor cycling no matter what aspect of that we enjoyed doing? Have you had any issues with your bike? I only have 1, that is a noise from the front brake pads when I get to 15 mph and goes above 17.5 mph, if I apply light pressure to front brake lever the noise goes, really annoying!! Where do you ride? Mike

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Hi Mike
I've not had any issues other than the brakes did make a lot of noise and I changed them for Uber pads and they have been a lot better.
The only other modification I had the LBS do is change to a Kioix display. It's waterproof (and my previous Cube hardtail had a Purion which failed completely after 4 months due to water ingress ....UK rain! ) It also gives you all the info, and maps and it's removable as a security feature. It is central on the stem and is neat looking.
I'm in Cheshire so its local trails, Delamere forest and when Covid is over I am going to try a bit further afield.Geoff

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I gave up on one mtb forum ( which I won't name and is now defunct anyway,) after raving about a Haibike Fat Six a good few years ago ..if you think the hate is strong now ..it was totally vitriolic back then ..but I knew right then that this was the future ..
Bearing in mind that I didn't have an ebike back then but dared to say how much fun they were..at the time I was riding a Nomad & T130rs..and had been riding normal bikes for over 20 years ..if I hadn't been made of stronger stuff it could have given me a real complex ..such was the personal abuse..
Now that ebiking has taken off in such a big way I would like to feel vindicated in taking the stance that I did back then ..and finally offer a big fuck-you to everyone who gave me shit ( it would be nice to think that some of them are reading this ?)
Im also an oldie ( 63years young and getting younger every time I ride my E160rs )..and yep its the bike I've been waiting for all of my life ?
Take the high-road…seriously, take the high road. I do it all the time since I got this ride. ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles