Hi everyone! Newbie from Brighton here, nice to meet you. Hoping for some advice on first purchase ...

Kendall

May 8, 2022
Brighton
I'm considering the Liv Embolden E+2 full suspension. Didn't think my budget would stretch to a full suspension bike until I saw this. Just a bit concerned, given the price point, that there may be some compromise on power. Has anyone used this bike on long steep climbs who could give me an idea how it copes? Unfortunately there's only one shop near me that stocks it, and it's nowhere near a hill.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hi, and welcome. I haven't ridden the embolden, but I have a 2021 trance with 80nm which I love riding around the South Downs. I don't often get up into the high power modes, for example the climbs around cissbury and chanctonbury would normally be done in mode 3, so even if you knocked off 10nm it still gives you a bit of headroom assuming you have a basic level of fitness. Having said that you can't beat a test ride, so id strongly recommend doing so if you can arrange one. Have you tried giant in shoreham ? really good bunch, my go to store. Also just fyi there is a Giant specific forum here where you may find more knowledgable people on the Liv if you post there

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Just a bit concerned, given the price point, that there may be some compromise on power

Top of the range Giant / Liv bikes give you top of the range components for the price of bottom of the range bikes from some brands, as Giant is the largest bike manufacturer in the world, and benefit from bulk-buying components to give cheaper retail prices.
These good value prices filter down through the Giant/Liv ranges, so don't be put off by their cheaper prices.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm considering the Liv Embolden E+2 full suspension.

Didn't think my budget would stretch to a full suspension bike until I saw this.

there may be some compromise on power.

Welcome, Kendall.
There are three parts of your post that I have opinions on...

Liv (Giant) makes a LOT of bikes. They have an extensive dealer network (at least in these parts), and they make a solid product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their bikes if it met the criteria I was shopping for. By being a huge company, they can make a good bike at a good price point.

Definitely stick with a full suspension bike. Just like 26" wheels, hardtails are only good if you ride so fast that you are flung back in time to the late 90's. But here in 2022, a proper mountain bike should have front and rear suspension. The exception is if you're a high-level rider who knows exactly what she wants and has a very good reason for choosing a hardtail.

The Embolden motor maxes out 70 Nm. For comparison, my bike churns out 85 Nm, and I probably weigh a little more than you. I find that much assistance to be unnecessary on most trails. The exception is when it gets super-steep and technical. But for the overwhelming majority of my riding, I've got my max output set to either 34 Nm or 63 Nm.

Kendall

May 8, 2022
Brighton
Hi, and welcome. I haven't ridden the embolden, but I have a 2021 trance with 80nm which I love riding around the South Downs. I don't often get up into the high power modes, for example the climbs around cissbury and chanctonbury would normally be done in mode 3, so even if you knocked off 10nm it still gives you a bit of headroom assuming you have a basic level of fitness. Having said that you can't beat a test ride, so id strongly recommend doing so if you can arrange one. Have you tried giant in shoreham ? really good bunch, my go to store. Also just fyi there is a Giant specific forum here where you may find more knowledgable people on the Liv if you post there
Thanks for the info on the Trance, that’s good to know. I’ve been to Giant in Shoreham - that’s where I found the Liv bike and fell in love with it! They were so helpful but all the terrain near the store is flat & they don’t allow off road on test rides. I’ll post in the Giant specific forum as you suggest and see if anyone there has one.

Kendall

May 8, 2022
Brighton
Top of the range Giant / Liv bikes give you top of the range components for the price of bottom of the range bikes from some brands, as Giant is the largest bike manufacturer in the world, and benefit from bulk-buying components to give cheaper retail prices.
These good value prices filter down through the Giant/Liv ranges, so don't be put off by their cheaper prices.
[/QUOTE

Thanks. I didn’t know that. This is really helpful info!

Kendall

May 8, 2022
Brighton
Welcome, Kendall.
There are three parts of your post that I have opinions on...

Liv (Giant) makes a LOT of bikes. They have an extensive dealer network (at least in these parts), and they make a solid product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their bikes if it met the criteria I was shopping for. By being a huge company, they can make a good bike at a good price point.

Definitely stick with a full suspension bike. Just like 26" wheels, hardtails are only good if you ride so fast that you are flung back in time to the late 90's. But here in 2022, a proper mountain bike should have front and rear suspension. The exception is if you're a high-level rider who knows exactly what she wants and has a very good reason for choosing a hardtail.

The Embolden motor maxes out 70 Nm. For comparison, my bike churns out 85 Nm, and I probably weigh a little more than you. I find that much assistance to be unnecessary on most trails. The exception is when it gets super-steep and technical. But for the overwhelming majority of my riding, I've got my max output set to either 34 Nm or 63 Nm.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Thanks for the info on the Trance, that’s good to know. I’ve been to Giant in Shoreham - that’s where I found the Liv bike and fell in love with it! They were so helpful but all the terrain near the store is flat & they don’t allow off road on test rides. I’ll post in the Giant specific forum as you suggest and see if anyone there has one.
Your welcome, just a thought, have you looked at the Canyon neuron On 6 ?
Same money I think but far superior components plus 625wh and 85nm. I’m very biased towards giant but I tested the spectral at Just Pedal in dorking (you can hire them out there and test in the Surrey hills) which has the same battery/motor combo and it was a brilliant bike, may be worth considering. Anyway best of luck, keep us posted, see ya on the downs 😎

Kendall

May 8, 2022
Brighton
Thanks RustyIron, this is fantastic info to have. I’m quite light, around 55 kilos, so sounds like I might be ok with the Embolden. I’ll definitely stick with full suspension and the Giant/Liv brand now I know more about them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles