hi all newbie hello :) need some advice on new rear cassette

fragledoozer

Aug 12, 2018
southport
Hi folks
Got a levo fsr carbon 2018 and a hard tail levo 2018

Both ready for new chain and rear cassette starting to slip and missing a few teeth on the made out of OEM chocolate rear cassette looking for stronger than standard components for both price not an issue

both have blue tooth cough cough adjustment

So two different uses

hardtail used on trails and to ride to work so would like it geared slightly higher for higher speeds my son uses as well on light gravel trails

levo fsr carbon used for trails down gisburn etc speed increase not important

From reading on this forum i have found the following

Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t

PRAXIS WORKS MTB 1X 104BCD WAVE TECH CHAINRING

PCX1 chain

Sunrace 11-46 rear cassette

Would you fit the sunrace rear cassete to both bikes?

i thought cassette for both bikes 36t front ring for the hardtail would you put the rear cassette with this?

chain for both?

also planning on changing crank arms after rock strikes

Any advice would be great

thanks

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I only use Sunrace cassettes with steel on all sprockets for my ebikes. Get the CSMS8 for 11 speed. SunRace | CSMS8

I'm testing the Shimano ebike chain right now. To early to say anything anything about durability, but the price was ok.

I would prefer a steel chainring too, but I havent found a narrow/wide type bigger than 32t.

Btw, do you measure chain wear? By swapping at 0.75% strech, both cassette and chainring should survive several chains.

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
thanks for the advice, i am quite a heavy user i think i need to start measure my chain
It doesn’t matter how heavy or light a user you are, everyone needs to measure their chain regularly unless you want to be going through a cassette and chainring for every chain. Chains are cheap, change em earlier rather than later and you will be saving money within a year.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Original KMC chain 600km
SRAM pcx1 1100km
SRAM pc1130 600km
Just fitted Shimano Hg701 see how it goes.

I replace chains between about half way between 0.5 and 0.75 wear. I use wax based lube like squirt or Ride Mechanic bike mix / bike milk.
I use a chain wear tool like the one pictured.

I will proberly have to change the chainring. Cassette with the next chain. I’ll use a SRAM pcx1, Praxis 32t steel ring, and might try a Sunrace 11-46.
I am not sure how the 11-46 will shift with the SRAM NX.
Let us know how you get on.
Btw the Sunrace 11-46 has better gear spacing than the Shimano 11-46.

90A446E1-8CB5-42B8-AF4D-1730CE4B8C8F.jpeg

fragledoozer

Aug 12, 2018
southport
Original KMC chain 600km
SRAM pcx1 1100km
SRAM pc1130 600km
Just fitted Shimano Hg701 see how it goes.

I replace chains between about half way between 0.5 and 0.75 wear. I use wax based lube like squirt or Ride Mechanic bike mix / bike milk.
I use a chain wear tool like the one pictured.

I will proberly have to change the chainring. Cassette with the next chain. I’ll use a SRAM pcx1, Praxis 32t steel ring, and might try a Sunrace 11-46.
I am not sure how the 11-46 will shift with the SRAM NX.
Let us know how you get on.
Btw the Sunrace 11-46 has better gear spacing than the Shimano 11-46.

View attachment 4491

fragledoozer

Aug 12, 2018
southport
superb thanks for the info going to order the stuff now for my levo comp also have a hard tail levo would a bigger front ring increase speed really do appreciate the help like reading so much to take in

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
chains ordered chain measuring tool order rear cassettes ordered just front rings now :cool:
Wolf tooth also do a stainless steel front ring. 2x the price of alloy but lasts 5x longer apparently.
Know nothing about front ring sizing, i’m Happy with my 32t

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just a second warning about an elliptical chainring - it won't work as expected since the pedal cranks can rotate independently from the chainring on (most?) EMTBs, so it would end up at a random offset from the pedals every time you started pedalling.

Even if the chainring and cranks were fixed relative to each other I'm not sure it would work very well with constant power coming from the motor - it might cause continuous surging.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
superb thanks for the info going to order the stuff now for my levo comp also have a hard tail levo would a bigger front ring increase speed
No, assistance will cut out at the same speed as it did before irrelevant of front chainring size.

fragledoozer

Aug 12, 2018
southport
all sorted for the levo fsr found the steel wolfrace front chainring on amazon for £89.95 good thing about amazon is that if it breaks within 12 months they will refund it or swap it has to be sold by them or fulfilled by them for this but always helps (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles