Hi All, Newbie from Gold Coast, Australia

KDFletch

Jul 30, 2020
Worongary, QLD, Australia
Hi everyone, I am a total Newbie to the EMTB world. I am trying to work out which EMTB is right for me.
I am 6'4" and 120kg. I have MTB riding experience. But it's been a few years. So what are the suggestions for me to have a Look at??

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
So many good bikes available now. It really depends on what type of rider you are. Do you go easy or punish your bike? Cross country or downhill? A couple of hours or all day epics?

Merida, Specialized and Giant are probably the most popular in Oz but there's also plenty of others with more coming every month. Seen a few YT's recently and the Norcos are great bikes.

Gordon

KDFletch

Jul 30, 2020
Worongary, QLD, Australia
So many good bikes available now. It really depends on what type of rider you are. Do you go easy or punish your bike? Cross country or downhill? A couple of hours or all day epics?

Merida, Specialized and Giant are probably the most popular in Oz but there's also plenty of others with more coming every month. Seen a few YT's recently and the Norcos are great bikes.

Gordon
Hey Gordon,
I am one who likes to punish myself and push my bike as hard as I can. And to start a couple of hours building to full day rides.

I am leaning towards the Merida eOne Sixty LTD ED or something similar @ the higher end of the budget. I would like to find a cheaper EMTB to start off on..

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey Gordon,
I am one who likes to punish myself and push my bike as hard as I can. And to start a couple of hours building to full day rides.

I am leaning towards the Merida eOne Sixty LTD ED or something similar @ the higher end of the budget. I would like to find a cheaper EMTB to start off on..
Don't know what the pricing is like across the ditch, but over here the Trek Rails are quite a bit cheaper than the Merida. At your height you'll want a roomy frame with a long travel dropper

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey Philly G,
$7000 aus, Now I might have to the Trek shop and have a hands-on with this bike...
I'm naturally biased since I ride one :D and the Rail does have a few minor things that need fettling, but overall you're getting a good aggressive frame with the Bosch system which I think is one of the best currently available. And Trek does seem to offer really good bang for buck (y)

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hey Gordon,

I'm still riding my e-160 900 from 2 years ago. I love my bike and have no plans to change. In fact I've just finished a full suspension upgrade with a 2021 Lyrik on front and Fox factory X2 out back. That'll be me for the next year or so (except of course for any other bikes I may have on order. :) ).

The only downside I see with the Merida bikes is the insistence to stay with the 504wH battery. My 95kg get around 30-35km off a single battery. I have two and external batteries are easy to swap. You might want to look at a second battery. The 10K comes with two. An extra is around a grand though.

I've seen plenty of the new e-160's and have yet to find anyone who didn't absolutely love the bike.

Gordon

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
Hey mate, I'm on the Goldy. Specialized at Nerang will hire you a bike for 4hrs at $80 from memory. They also are Trek and Scott dealer or go and see Michael Ronning at Giant Nerang and if you ask nicely, he will let you demo a bike, either the Reign or Trance. Local tracks at Nerang behind the Velodrome. Merida is at Topline Cycles Nerang or 99 Bikes in Southport.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles