Hi all looking for some non friends advice.

Johnjboyle

Jul 1, 2021
Scotland
Hi all I am looking at buying my first ebike and am in a dilemma.
I have ordered a Merida e160 500 with a waiting time of around 2 months just now. The shop I have ordered it from has contacted me today offering a 6 month old e140 8000 for the same price as the new one. I was set on the e 160 mostly for the greater travel as I have a 140travel bike at the moment but the higher spec of the bike and carbon frame is tempting.
if it was you what do you think you’d do ?

thanks

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I'd take the e140 hands-down. It's better in almost every regard (assuming the comparison on the Merida website is the same as what you're looking at).

Screenshot 2021-07-02 162253.png

Screenshot 2021-07-02 162333.png

Screenshot 2021-07-02 162421.png

Johnjboyle

Jul 1, 2021
Scotland
The warranty stuff I haven’t checked yet.
I do various types of riding varying from trail centres to natural wilder stuff.
The main reason I was getting a new bike was for the travel upgrade and getting an ebike was a bonus. The main concern for me and the e140 is I currently run the same travel on my bike and I use most if not all of the travel just now , the extra weight has me thinking I’d just blast through the travel.
Thanks

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
The warranty stuff I haven’t checked yet.
I do various types of riding varying from trail centres to natural wilder stuff.
The main reason I was getting a new bike was for the travel upgrade and getting an ebike was a bonus. The main concern for me and the e140 is I currently run the same travel on my bike and I use most if not all of the travel just now , the extra weight has me thinking I’d just blast through the travel.
Thanks
Think you answered your own question mate. As tempting as it is to get one now, if its not the right bike its a lot of money to spend and wish you had the one you wanted all along.....

Johnjboyle

Jul 1, 2021
Scotland
Thank all
The fact that I’ve posted on here and am apprehensive about the e140 is that I’m not as excited as I thought meaning it’s not the right bike. Was thinking about it having not even looked at the bike yet and already wanting to upgrade the forks says a lot.
I’ll wait for the new bike

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A six month old bike for the same price as when it was new? Did I understand that correctly? :unsure:
What are you getting to make up for the loss of value of the bike?
Nobody expects to pay new price for a six month old bike. :(
Unless of course it is unused and has been hanging about the showroom for that time (but then only in the current unusual times).

Johnjboyle

Jul 1, 2021
Scotland
A six month old bike for the same price as when it was new? Did I understand that correctly? :unsure:
What are you getting to make up for the loss of value of the bike?
Nobody expects to pay new price for a six month old bike. :(
Unless of course it is unused and has been hanging about the showroom for that time (but then only in the current unusual times).
No the 6 month old bike was around £1000 more expensive when new.

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
Much better spec on the 140, but then it has the old motor and smaller battery.

I'd go for the 160. You can always upgrade the fork etc in time. In fact, maybe ask your shop to upgrade at time of purchase? Same goes for the kenda tyres.

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
Meh. Where do you live what do you ride?

Are your trails chill and you wanna do Cross country distance the extra 2cm really doesn’t matter. But also the extra lightness of the 140 prob won’t matter too. Are the bikes the same power? I’d take less power and weight anyday unless I was gonna be riding 2,000 meters in elevation often.

if you spend most of your time doing what’s fun to you sitting on the bike then stay 140 and light. If what’s fun to you is off your ass stuff where lots of travel is best then go aluminum 160.

my .02c
The comp seat post on my 140 slipping after 6 months the pike forks better than gold take the 140 better speck cheaper than upgrades

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles