Help with sparking/fried battery !!

eRon

Feb 6, 2023
UK
Had some drama last weekend with my Bafang powered Frey Ex Pro.

Upon plugging in the charger (round connector) in to the battery there was a sudden bunch of sparks and popping noises followed by smoke and bad burning smell charger not plugged in and battery in my hand!). Obviously something not gone too well there. This all happened in 1-2 secs, I was shaking a bit wondered if I got electrocuted or set the kitchen floor on fire but thankfully all ok.

Charger is ok and charges other battery fine but the "bad battery" doesn't light up now, something has gone wrong internally. I've contacted Frey who have been responsive but asking me to take apart and use a multimeter (which I don't have) to measure voltage and check fuse. Obviously I'm pretty nervous about this especially after what happened. I share some pictures below, can anyone confirm it's safe to pull the cables out? The fuse holder appears to be stuck in with glue and will need some force to remove. Am I safe fiddling with this? Anyone know if is there somebody local to me who could inspect? (I'm Hants/Surrey way)

Cheers

20230206_152700.jpg

20230201_092200.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles