Levo Gen 2 Help with fine tuning rockshox suspension

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Evening everyone

So just trying to get my Levo comp 2021 set up correctly I have the standard rockshox on the rear and up rated the fork to the Lyrik ultimate 160mm

I weight with kit on around 85 kgs

at the moment I have the air set in the fork and shocks to both give me around 25 % sag

how do you even beginning to work out rebound clicks etc

can anyone maybe a similar weight to me tell me there set up ?

Or is there a guide on how to work out these settings

many thanks

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Cheers thank you mate massive help just need to sort the rear although there’s not as much to set up on there I guess

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
25% is too much for the front and too little for the rear according to "conventional wisdom". You should be around 15-20% front and 30% rear.

I'm the same weight, this is where I ended up when I had an air spring (I'm on coil now); all clickers counted from closed:
  • Pressure: 105psi
  • LSC: 10
  • HSC: 4
  • Reb: 4
With this setup I was around 20-22% sag which is a bit high for the front *but* I was ok with this as it's a 160mm fork, it keeps the geometry closer to stock.

Last edited:

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Rockshox manual suggest anywhere between 10%-30% sag for a Lyrik depending available suspension travel and personal preference.

To the OP, the Rockshox site will give you recommended clicker settings for your fork and your shock if you pot the codes in.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
25% is too much for the front and to little for the rear according to "conventional wisdom". You should be around 15-20% front and 30% rear.

I'm the same weight, this is where I ended up when I had an air spring (I'm on coil now); all clickers counted from closed:
  • Pressure: 105psi
  • LSC: 10
  • HSC: 4
  • Reb: 4
With this setup I was around 20-22% sag which is a bit high for the front *but* I was ok with this as it's a 160mm fork, it keeps the geometry closer to stock.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Cheers thank you very much !! What sort of pressure setting did you run on the rear

It's been too long since I had the stock RockShox shock, unfortunately I don't remember for sure :( I've been on coil since early on. I want to say it was around 180lbs but really it doesn't matter, just set it based on sag.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There is no definitive answer to the correct sag, rebound etc - its all personal and dependent on how you want the suspension to feel, and can change depending on how you ride and the terrain you ride. Two people with identical weight, bikes and suspension could have totally different set ups due to how and where they ride.

This thread has all the help you will need, IMO it is critical you go though the right set up process to get to where you want to be, and always remeber to set it up in your riding kit, including wearing a back pack etc if you use one riding, and any items you store on the frame:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Cheers thank you

Sadly doesn’t support the Levo it seam ?but it support the sl so will help there cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When people advise % sag for front and rear, what they also need to add is how their weight was distributed. Some remain seated upright and consequently have a lower %sag for the fork than the shock. Others adopt the "attack" position and go for the same %sag front and rear. The same person following one method first may end up with the same pressure when following the second method. What is important is to get something close set up quickly and then go ride, taking your shock pump with you. Then adjust accordingly.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
When people advise % sag for front and rear, what they also need to add is how their weight was distributed. Some remain seated upright and consequently have a lower %sag for the fork than the shock. Others adopt the "attack" position and go for the same %sag front and rear. The same person following one method first may end up with the same pressure when following the second method. What is important is to get something close set up quickly and then go ride, taking your shock pump with you. Then adjust accordingly.
Exactly. A very good tip I saw was that the only really important thing a bout how you set your sag on fork or shock, is that you are consistent each time you do it. The only really position on the bike for setting sag that you can be sure is consistent each time you do it is to stand tall on level pedals without holding onto the bars. All of your weight is then directly over the bb and this is a position you can repeat pretty accurately. The attack/ready position is much too variable.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Exactly. A very good tip I saw was that the only really important thing a bout how you set your sag on fork or shock, is that you are consistent each time you do it. The only really position on the bike for setting sag that you can be sure is consistent each time you do it is to stand tall on level pedals without holding onto the bars. All of your weight is then directly over the bb and this is a position you can repeat pretty accurately. The attack/ready position is much too variable.

You want to set the sag in the position you normally ride the bike in. Standing upright on the pedals with your hands off the bars is not a good idea unless thats how you ride your bike :p

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
You want to set the sag in the position you normally ride the bike in. Standing upright on the pedals with your hands off the bars is not a good idea unless thats how you ride your bike :p

It doesn't matter *how* you set sag as long as you do it the same way every time. You're conflating the choosing the value with measuring that value. You can set the sag fully standing, just make sure to adjust to the value accordingly. E.g. I set my sag fully seated to around 32%. When I'm in "attack position" it's then 30%. This way I can repeat the measurement easily over and over, instead of futzing with body position and hoping I get it right. But, to be fair, I set sag using an SMB Flow so it's way easier to measure and observe these changes.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
It doesn't matter *how* you set sag as long as you do it the same way every time. You're conflating the choosing the value with measuring that value. You can set the sag fully standing, just make sure to adjust to the value accordingly. E.g. I set my sag fully seated to around 32%. When I'm in "attack position" it's then 30%. This way I can repeat the measurement easily over and over, instead of futzing with body position and hoping I get it right. But, to be fair, I set sag using an SMB Flow so it's way easier to measure and observe these changes.

So your method to repeatedly set sag relies on setting the sag incorreclty at 32% in the hope it's at 30% when in the 'attack position' :LOL:

You are seriosuly overthinking this whole thing. Sag is always a compromise because nobody rides their bike in the exact same position for the whole ride. If you are 5mm further forward or back it's not going make a difference.

There is a reason that no single suspension manufacturer across the MTB and moto industry suggests setting sag the way you do, and thats because it's wrong :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
So your method to repeatedly set sag relies on setting the sag incorreclty at 32% in the hope it's at 30% when in the 'attack position' :LOL:

No, I set sag while sitting at ~32% and then measure it while cycling through attack position to observe that it's correct.

You are seriosuly overthinking this whole thing.

No, you just don't agree with what I'm saying. That's ok. I'm not overthinking anything. What I'm describing is actually simpler and more consistent.

Sag is always a compromise because nobody rides their bike in the exact same position for the whole ride.

That isn't the point at all. The point is to perform the measurement in a consistent way.

If you are 5mm further forward or back it's not going make a difference.

I didn't say anything about moving forward or backwards 5mm. In fact I challenge you to adjust your body position by 5mm; how do you measure it? That's the point. You can't.

There is a reason that no single suspension manufacturer across the MTB and moto industry suggests setting sag the way you do, and thats because it's stupid :sneaky:
Care to try again?

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Maybe I did not make my earlier post clear. The whole point of setting sag in a tall standing position on level pedals is that it is practically the only way to adopt a position on the bike that you can reasonably accurately replicate. Even a sitting position will vary depending on seat post height used each time and any angulation of the top body..... and the ready position is far too variable. I mentioned standing on level pedals...that is 9/3 oclock but also the pedals themselves level. If you stand on the pedals and just angle your toes down you increase weight on the fork, angle your heels down and you increase weight on the shock.
The point is not to create a sag value such that the shock sags to that point in your most used riding position. It is to create a value that is proportionate to your riding weight. Then to use that as a basis but not the end game of setting up the shock.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A repeatable body position will give a consistent measure, but why does it matter (and when)? On a new bike I set the sag in my favourite way and target my usual %sag based upon what I have discovered is pretty close to what works for me. Then I ride the bike and adjust the air pressure depending upon what feels right, more or less at either end. Once I'm happy, I write down what the pressures were and that becomes my new settings. Unless I'm doing something different, then those settings are "it". I don't need to be sat on the bike to either check them or set them after any fettling.

For test days, Specialized insisted on each rider sitting upright on the bike whilst they set the %sag to their recco. This is one of the very few occasions when it is important for the same procedure each time. All the other brands had me do the attack position for the fork and sat down holding the bars for the shock. That was different to Speccy, but right for them, although it could easily be argued it gave a more variable result. For Speccy and the others, I accepted their % sag recco until after I had ridden the bike for a while. Then I changed to what I felt was better.

But not everyone takes a shock pump with them when doing a series of test rides. :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles