Help selecting the correct fork and parts?

Anders_ac

Oct 24, 2022
Denmark
I am looking to upgrade the fork on my 2021 Reaction Performance allroad size M.

I have settled on the Rockshox Recon Silver (Solo Air).

I am generally handy and fix most things myself, but i am not familiar with the different Measures that must be correct for the fork to fit the bike.

My bike info is here: CUBE PRODUCT ARCHIVE | CUBE Reaction Hybrid Performance 500 Allroad desert´n´orange.

There are two versions with 9mm Quick release available here, but which one, if any, would fit?
Also, would i need any additional parts? Spacers for steering tube, brake mounting etc?

Thanks in advance!

/Anders

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The two key measurements are the steerer tube & axle width. 1/18 straight steerer versions will fit that bike & you need one of the 100mm qr versions of the fork which you have already identified. With brake mounts, the Suntour specs say 180mm disc rotor & the Recon, 160mm so you may have to factor in a new smaller disc depending on what is on the bike now & possibly a new post mount adaptor as well. It may be possible to keep a larger rotor with the correct post mount adaptor but see below.

Otherwise, a new fork will come with an over length steerer tube you need to cut to size. If you're happy with where the stem sits currently then you can cut the new fork to the same length, otherwise i would fit it uncut & play around with where you clamp the stem until you find a height you're happy with. If you raise the stem height then you will need to add spacers & vice versa. It's also ok to cut the steerer a little over length & add spacers above the stem which will allow you raise & lower the stem after fitting the fork which obviously you couldn't do if you cut it to the lowest height you think works for you. The downside of that is the aesthetic of the steerer poking above the stem but that's a matter of taste rather than function.

Changing a fork is pretty straightforward but the retailer wlll be able to advise on specific components you need to factor in. With this option, you need to understand any changes needed to get the brake to fit & they will be able to give definitive advice on that before you hand over your money.

Anders_ac

Oct 24, 2022
Denmark
The two key measurements are the steerer tube & axle width. 1/18 straight steerer versions will fit that bike & you need one of the 100mm qr versions of the fork which you have already identified. With brake mounts, the Suntour specs say 180mm disc rotor & the Recon, 160mm so you may have to factor in a new smaller disc depending on what is on the bike now & possibly a new post mount adaptor as well. It may be possible to keep a larger rotor with the correct post mount adaptor but see below.

Otherwise, a new fork will come with an over length steerer tube you need to cut to size. If you're happy with where the stem sits currently then you can cut the new fork to the same length, otherwise i would fit it uncut & play around with where you clamp the stem until you find a height you're happy with. If you raise the stem height then you will need to add spacers & vice versa. It's also ok to cut the steerer a little over length & add spacers above the stem which will allow you raise & lower the stem after fitting the fork which obviously you couldn't do if you cut it to the lowest height you think works for you. The downside of that is the aesthetic of the steerer poking above the stem but that's a matter of taste rather than function.

Changing a fork is pretty straightforward but the retailer wlll be able to advise on specific components you need to factor in. With this option, you need to understand any changes needed to get the brake to fit & they will be able to give definitive advice on that before you hand over your money.
Thanks a lot for the help! It all makes good sense.
Just one question: How do you know that i need a straight 1 1/8, and not a tapered?

In the info page for the bike, the frame section says tapered, and the headset says straight. (Images attached)

/Anders

304D740F-6E60-4E36-BFBE-8F93F7756F10.jpeg 2CA62085-A8AC-43F3-A43C-876C71809200.jpeg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I took the Suntour specs off the Cube page for your bike & it gave me this:

Straight steerers are a bit 1990's so maybe clarify with Cube what's on your bike, or of course, you could just undo the stem & drop it out of the head set for a look. Although it's also true that a brand the size of Cube could dictate what they want to Suntour. OEM suspension components are not uncommon.

Anders_ac

Oct 24, 2022
Denmark
I took the Suntour specs off the Cube page for your bike & it gave me this:

Straight steerers are a bit 1990's so maybe clarify with Cube what's on your bike, or of course, you could just undo the stem & drop it out of the head set for a look. Although it's also true that a brand the size of Cube could dictate what they want to Suntour. OEM suspension components are not uncommon.
Thanks again.

I have had the fork out to check. The fork itself is straight, but from what i see, it May be possible to fit a tapered. I get this idea from the crown race ring, that Measures 52mm on the outside (picture below).

Would this mean that i Can buy a tapered fork, if i also buy a new crown race ring? I am asking because there is a good offer on a tapered Judy Gold.

The bearing in the bottom of the frame is way bigger than the steerer tube (picture)

Would a 1 1/5” crownring do the trick for fitting a tapered fork?

All the best,
Anders

4E0B34F7-D678-4E81-9F94-6BFA140251AF.jpeg 15E52E33-9708-46CB-A175-F7B3710FDF5C.jpeg B5475D2E-3034-47D1-B4F6-146E42BB4300.jpeg 9D09CE6D-272D-42F8-9F3C-9D92D3463E78.jpeg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
First off, that headest needs a good cleaning & regrease 😉

You can buy adaptors to swap between straight steerer & tapered forks but you should check directly with Cube to ensure the frame can accept a fork with a wider base than they fitted at the factory. The worst outcome is buying a new, expensive fork only to find it won't fit in the headtube.

Cane Creek have some more info on this here:

Anders_ac

Oct 24, 2022
Denmark
First off, that headest needs a good cleaning & regrease 😉

You can buy adaptors to swap between straight steerer & tapered forks but you should check directly with Cube to ensure the frame can accept a fork with a wider base than they fitted at the factory. The worst outcome is buying a new, expensive fork only to find it won't fit in the headtube.

Cane Creek have some more info on this here:

Yes, it definitely need a good cleaning and some grease - it looks like this because the bike was attempted stolen, and has been lying in some bushes for 3 months before it was found and returned (they must have given up in trying to break the locks).

I have ordered the tapered Judy Gold TK, a complete new headset (Got the specs from cube (ZS44/ZS56), a fender and a 220mm rotor + adapter.

Very much looking forward to installing the parts, i will make an update here in a week or two.

Thanks a lot for your guidance!

Anders_ac

Oct 24, 2022
Denmark
Update: I have fitted a tapered Judy Gold (SoloAir + MotionControl) that i got a really good price.

I changed the entire headtube and bearings, and now everything is good to go. Thanks for the help, i am very much looking forward to trying it out in the weekend!

/Anders

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles