Help error code 500

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
Help !! 2018 Powerfly 9... motor keeps cutting out and showing error 500. Turned off a few times and came back on..happened three or four times during 2 hr ride...any ideas ? The motor was replaced arround 600 miles ago

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
This happened to my PowerFly 9.7 as well - especially on rough terrain with roots and rocks.

After my local Trek shop tried to fix it five times, I told them the sixth time that either they would fix it for good now or I would want a full refund. So they decided to ship it to The Netherlands (home of European Trek distributor, I guess?) Bike came back after four weeks with a new motor. 10 minutes in to the first ride thereafter it happened again; error code 500!

I took it back (for the seventh time!) To my local Trek shop and eventually they talked me into letting a local Bosch technician have a look at the bike. He reported back that unfortunately a wrong motor with no blinds on the outlet for lights had been installed in The Netherlands, and that this could cause moisture ingress in the motor leading to the error code 500. So another new motor with blinds for the light outlets has been installed now and so far (after 70km) it has been behaving well.

If you have the motor replaced again, then make sure they put a motor in with the blinds for the light outlets installed - according to my anecdotal experience.

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
This happened to my PowerFly 9.7 as well - especially on rough terrain with roots and rocks.

After my local Trek shop tried to fix it five times, I told them the sixth time that either they would fix it for good now or I would want a full refund. So they decided to ship it to The Netherlands (home of European Trek distributor, I guess?) Bike came back after four weeks with a new motor. 10 minutes in to the first ride thereafter it happened again; error code 500!

I took it back (for the seventh time!) To my local Trek shop and eventually they talked me into letting a local Bosch technician have a look at the bike. He reported back that unfortunately a wrong motor with no blinds on the outlet for lights had been installed in The Netherlands, and that this could cause moisture ingress in the motor leading to the error code 500. So another new motor with blinds for the light outlets has been installed now and so far (after 70km) it has been behaving well.

If you have the motor replaced again, then make sure they put a motor in with the blinds for the light outlets installed - according to my anecdotal experience.

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
Update....took bike into LBC Monday, just heard new motor on its way from Bosch, Bosch replaced under warranty with no quibble. Thanks to Cookson Cycles in Whitefield, great service

DecoyD

Mar 2, 2020
USA
Got the same 500 error, warranty motor on its way. Did you have to pay for labor even if covered under warranty?

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
Got the same 500 error, warranty motor on its way. Did you have to pay for labor even if covered under warranty?
Same error code as I got earlier this year which resulted in a replacement motor. I was charged £135 for labour to remove and replace the motor and the diagnostic check. Not impressed with being charged to replace a faulty motor. Imagine the uproar if the car trade did this. On the plus side the motor is literally behaving faultlessly now. I suppose it would have been nice to know why this motor failed and indeed what the fault code really means. Did I do something wrong and can I expect this new motor to fail in 2 years time ????

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
Update....took bike into LBC Monday, just heard new motor on its way from Bosch, Bosch replaced under warranty with no quibble. Thanks to Cookson Cycles in Whitefield, great service
I use Cooksons for all my bike stuff. Very very helpful staff and can’t be faulted. They did a Bosch motor swap for me on my old PF7 when the main bearings failed. 20 months old, 2200miles, motor swapped under warranty. Charged me £60 labour. All sorted in 4 days. Proper happy with that result.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Same error code as I got earlier this year which resulted in a replacement motor. I was charged £135 for labour to remove and replace the motor and the diagnostic check. Not impressed with being charged to replace a faulty motor. Imagine the uproar if the car trade did this. On the plus side the motor is literally behaving faultlessly now. I suppose it would have been nice to know why this motor failed and indeed what the fault code really means. Did I do something wrong and can I expect this new motor to fail in 2 years time ????
That’s outrageous. I had the Error 500 a few weeks back on my rail. Took it to a local bike shop (they are Bosch retailer, don’t even sell Trek) and he filed a warranty smears with Bosch. Had a new motor within a week and he replaced it free of charge. He said Bosch pays ( a little bit) for the job.

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
That’s outrageous. I had the Error 500 a few weeks back on my rail. Took it to a local bike shop (they are Bosch retailer, don’t even sell Trek) and he filed a warranty smears with Bosch. Had a new motor within a week and he replaced it free of charge. He said Bosch pays ( a little bit) for the job.
Did the LBS give you any clue as to what the engine failure actually was?

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Did the LBS give you any clue as to what the engine failure actually was?
He said the bike threw almost every error code possible when he hooked it up to the computer. He couldn’t say what exactly was wrong. His guess was sand and water had entered the motor. I had really used the bike through all seasons. Winter biking in the snow etc.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
We have a Trek Rail 7 in at a Bosch retailer at this minute with an error 500 code, said very similar to above that when he connected it there were multiple error codes as well, said he’d seen this before on a Cube. Warranty into Bosch for a new motor, hopefully get the bike back this week, bike is only 4 months old.

Also this is the second Bosch motor we have had replaced on 2 bikes now, other bike was also only 4 months old. Joking aside but both of the bikes are my Mrs’s so not down to heavy riding.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
We have a Trek Rail 7 in at a Bosch retailer at this minute with an error 500 code, said very similar to above that when he connected it there were multiple error codes as well, said he’d seen this before on a Cube. Warranty into Bosch for a new motor, hopefully get the bike back this week, bike is only 4 months old.

Also this is the second Bosch motor we have had replaced on 2 bikes now, other bike was also only 4 months old. Joking aside but both of the bikes are my Mrs’s so not down to heavy riding.
What kind of weather/conditions has she been riding in?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles