Help, availability and advice on 40 tooth chainring

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi guys
Need some help on chainring availability.
My bike and proposed setup
Cube khatmandu with bosch gen 4 cx motor fitted with a 104 bcd spider.
The bike will fitted with the new shimano cues 11 speed gear set.
Currently finding it very difficult to get a 40 tooth chainring.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Thx Geoff

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If you're not too concerned about the brand there's various 40T chainrings on Amazon and eBay.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Why 40t? That's big. I'm running a 34 and easily hit motor cut out before spinning out the 34t. Practically you can't go much faster than motor cut on an ebike unless you have gravity on your side. Then you can easily hit 50 to 60kph, so why bother with a 40t?

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi
And thx for your replies, all very valid points which I will respond too.
The bike as new comes with a 40 toothed ring but it's not the N/W type, the best my supplier could do is 38 t on a 104 bcd. The bike runs ok with this but I find myself constantly in the top 4 gears and not making much use of the remaining 6 unless tackling a difficult hill.
I am currently trialing one steel ring from ebay but find the chain can come off sometimes when engaging the lowest gear. It's clearly an alignment issue. Now trialing one from amazon which is al aloy, its seems to work better in so much the chain does not come off but I'm not convinced about durability.
Hence would prefer one from a known brand.
40 t ring does not interfere with the chain guard as this is what the bike is designed for.
When I move to the 11 speed gear set there is a rational to try a 42 t ring, what this does in combo with the 11 speed gear set is give me a bit more at the top and bottom of the range compared to the current 38 t 10 speed combo, if you get my drift.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Another benefit of the 42 t 11 speed combo is it pushes my general riding further up the gear range giving even better durability because I'm using the top 4 gears less, if you get my drift

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Seem to be a bunch of 40t 104bcd narrow wide rings on Amazon…..your bike is a hybrid, I hope you are not riding it on “ real” Mtb trails.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi
Thx for your reply. Road and gravel paths for me. As I said in a previous reply I'm currently trialing an amazon offering but would prefer one from a known brand

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hi
Thx for your reply. Road and gravel paths for me. As I said in a previous reply I'm currently trialing an amazon offering but would prefer one from a known brand
How is/will the Cube khatmandu be de-restricted so as to be able to benefit from a 40t chain ring?

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
It won't be de-ristricted as its never been tampered with, it will be put back to it original spec, as supplied with a 40 t ring but this time of the N/W tooth design, that's all I'm after. And it will make the bike perform as originally intended

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
Hi guys
Need some help on chainring availability.
My bike and proposed setup
Cube khatmandu with bosch gen 4 cx motor fitted with a 104 bcd spider.
The bike will fitted with the new shimano cues 11 speed gear set.
Currently finding it very difficult to get a 40 tooth chainring.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Thx Geoff
I use 44t DECKAS chainring on my emtb for the same reasons you describe plus that i run de-restricted. Chainring is narrow/wide and i use it without any chainguard without any problem. Change every 5000 Km.

Last edited:

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
For my ebike 38T it's enough,
40T these are steel and work quite well
Acabo de encontrar este increíble artículo en AliExpress. ¡Échale un vistazo!
9,21€ | Prowheel-cadena ancha y estrecha para bicicleta de montaña, piñón de acero, piezas de manivela, 32T, 34T, 36T, 38T, 40T

FB_IMG_1707558997258.jpg IMG_20240202_124459.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles