• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Help: Allen wrench stuck in spider bolt

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
I have allen wrenches with the rounded head (aka ball driver), and I stuck it in the spider in order to be able to pedal backwards to clean my chain. Well, I didn't think about the fact that since it wobbles on its head, it will be pushed off axis by the crank, and now its stuck.

20230212_142229.jpg

20230212_142148.jpg

Tried hammering it outwards, and nothing. Any ideas? I'm hoping I don't have to take the whole thing apart in order to back the crank off the spider/chainring. I actually don't know much about the anatomy of the bottom bracket area. It's a 22 Turbo Levo.

EDIT: I guess I could just dremel it off. Anything less drastic than that?

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
Uh so when I do that the bolt unbolts to a point where it touches the inside of the hex shape in the crank... and then gets stuck. What the heck?

I dont see any other bolts of any kind. I thought perhaps both sides need to be unbolted, but the opposite side, same thing. Unbolts until it touches the housing, then no more. Cranks don't budge.

Edit: sorry, just needed to do some legwork. Found the manual, just had to keep going on non drive side.

Screenshot_20230212-153920_Drive.png

Last edited:

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
I have this bike and I'm glad you figured this out. It's a bit unnerving backing out the crank bolt because it can be very tight indeed but it does pull the arm off and get easier as you go. Cranking it back down is also a challenge because of how tight it can feel compared to being fully seated - hard to tell when these haven't been removed too many times.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
I have this bike and I'm glad you figured this out. It's a bit unnerving backing out the crank bolt because it can be very tight indeed but it does pull the arm off and get easier as you go. Cranking it back down is also a challenge because of how tight it can feel compared to being fully seated - hard to tell when these haven't been removed too many times.
Yeah I broke out the torque wrench because I was worried about it. Turns out I hadn't torqued hard enough by hand. But it was close.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles