Heckler mullet build

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Bought the cheapest Heckler last spring and have been enjoying it a lot ever since. I am 63 with average skills. 6'2" tall and 193 lbs. All my friends ride Turbo Levo bikes which are 29ers. Seems they always have an easier time getting the front over stuff compared to me so I borrowed the 29 front end off my SC Megatower and tested it on the Heckler and really liked it. It still turns fine but is much easier on steep rooty downhills where a root threatens to grab the front tire. Happy with the test, I ordered a FOX 36 fork and a DT Swiss wheel. Both are for eMTB use. Not cheap, but I am very happy with the setup now and the new forks are much better than the Rock Shox Yari that came stock. The Fox forks are way more supple and adjustable.
That said, too bad that the clearance of the 29 inch tire was too tight on the Yari fork so I had to buy another fork. We did a ride yesterday in the Tokul area close to Falls City, WA. Tons of roots and a lot of wet roots. The new setup was much better and I was able to clear a lot of stuff I doubt I would have with the 27.5 front. For younger riders with better skills a 29 front might not be needed but I need all the help I can get:)
IMG_2911D.jpeg
IMG_2913D.jpeg
IMG_2912D.jpeg

ccwilli3

Jun 2, 2020
Ladera Ranch, CA - USA
Very nice Velociraptor! Will follow this thread, I haven't had any issues on my Heckler but I'm not the most talented and I don't ride the steepest downhill either. Any additional feedback since you have more miles on it now?

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Very nice Velociraptor! Will follow this thread, I haven't had any issues on my Heckler but I'm not the most talented and I don't ride the steepest downhill either. Any additional feedback since you have more miles on it now?
Thanks! I have ridden the bike a lot and it has transformed the bike for me. Part is the 29 and part is that front fork which works a lot better than the stocker. I just have a lot more confidence and ease getting the front wheel over stuff. The only minor downside is that on very steep uphills the front is a tiny bit harder to keep down because the front of the bike is higher than with the 27.5. The overall handling is great and the nimbleness feels unchanged for me. That said, I have a SC Bullit on order. That bike comes as a mullet but is a bit more slack and has the more powerful EP8 motor and the 630wh battery. Still not quite up to the power and battery of the Turbo Levo Brose/700wh battery but close.

ccwilli3

Jun 2, 2020
Ladera Ranch, CA - USA
Thanks! I have ridden the bike a lot and it has transformed the bike for me. Part is the 29 and part is that front fork which works a lot better than the stocker. I just have a lot more confidence and ease getting the front wheel over stuff. The only minor downside is that on very steep uphills the front is a tiny bit harder to keep down because the front of the bike is higher than with the 27.5. The overall handling is great and the nimbleness feels unchanged for me. That said, I have a SC Bullit on order. That bike comes as a mullet but is a bit more slack and has the more powerful EP8 motor and the 630wh battery. Still not quite up to the power and battery of the Turbo Levo Brose/700wh battery but close.
outstanding! When do you get the Bullit? Which build did you get? Will be interested in your back to back feedback between the two!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The only minor downside is that on very steep uphills the front is a tiny bit harder to keep down because...
Try moving your saddle forwards and removing 15mm of spacers from under your stem . By raising the front 20mm you've also effectively slackened your head angle AND seat tube angle by a degree. S/A looks crazy slack in your pic and while seated you're weight will now be being forced way back almost over the rear axle. The new position is the reason for the front end feeling too light and it'll only get worse when pointed uphill.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
@Velociraptor
Did you increase the front travel compared to stock 27.5 setup?

I would have thought a better option would be to go 150 travel 29’r up front (if running 160 travel 27.5 to start with)?

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
@Velociraptor
Did you increase the front travel compared to stock 27.5 setup?

I would have thought a better option would be to go 150 travel 29’r up front (if running 160 travel 27.5 to start with)?

I kept the same 160mm travel. Only downside so far is a lighter front on steep uphills. Otherwise handling seems good. Here is what I got:

FOX 36 E-Optimized Factory Suspension Fork - 29", 160 mm, 15QR x 110 mm, 51mm Offset, Shiny Black, GRIP 2

I have a large size Heckler and bought the base model, so this Fox 36 fork is also a huge improvement over the stock one. Much more plush.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Cool
ive been looking at the axle to crown measurements and it’s +9mm if I change my RS Ultimate 160 travel (27.5) to 150 travel RS Ultimate 29’r. So not too much of an increase, but bigger wheel will add a bit more front end height (as mentioned, using less spacers under the stem can help compensate for this).

Not sure what offset I have on my fork, but I guess keeping it the same on the 29’r option would be the best choice? Or go smaller offset?

SC have opted for 140 travel 29’r keeping axle to crown almost the same, but the shock is 210x52.5, so less stroke, less rear travel, keeping the bike in balance front and rear. The downside to this is the reach is shorter.

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
I kept the same 160mm travel. Only downside so far is a lighter front on steep uphills. Otherwise handling seems good. Here is what I got:

FOX 36 E-Optimized Factory Suspension Fork - 29", 160 mm, 15QR x 110 mm, 51mm Offset, Shiny Black, GRIP 2

I have a large size Heckler and bought the base model, so this Fox 36 fork is also a huge improvement over the stock one. Much more plush.
Sounds like you know how you like your bike to feel. Did you try a slightly longer stem to get you over the front a touch more as being a large and 6’2 your reach must have been relatively short ?

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
Hi guys, wanted to post up my mullet heckler build. I couldn’t find a lot of info on mullet builds so just wanted to contribute for anyone else thinking about doing the same. My bike started out as the regular heckler s build, e8000 motor, I swapped out the fork for a cane creek helm mk 2 at 150 and I kept the rear at 150 also. The bike feels better in every way as a mullet, no downside in climbing that I’ve found and it floats over roots/rocks much better now. With the 27.5 I felt I was getting hung up over technical terrain. Didn‘t want to get to deep into a full on review but happy to answer any questions about the setup, and definitely recommend going mullet to anyone on the fence about it. It’s worth it!
6BD938DD-A345-47B1-B674-AAF50D01D36D.jpeg

BullitMan

Jan 1, 2021
CA, USA
Hi guys, wanted to post up my mullet heckler build. I couldn’t find a lot of info on mullet builds so just wanted to contribute for anyone else thinking about doing the same. My bike started out as the regular heckler s build, e8000 motor, I swapped out the fork for a cane creek helm mk 2 at 150 and I kept the rear at 150 also. The bike feels better in every way as a mullet, no downside in climbing that I’ve found and it floats over roots/rocks much better now. With the 27.5 I felt I was getting hung up over technical terrain. Didn‘t want to get to deep into a full on review but happy to answer any questions about the setup, and definitely recommend going mullet to anyone on the fence about it. It’s worth it! View attachment 52610
That looks very much like Demo Forest.

Dieng85

Nov 6, 2020
modena
Hi, i have some questions:) I want to convert my sc in to a mullet , but id like to know:
160 mm front trave is it ok to maintain a good balance of the bike with the 29?
Wich offset should I take 44 ?

Thank for your help :)

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
Hi, i have some questions:) I want to convert my sc in to a mullet , but id like to know:
160 mm front trave is it ok to maintain a good balance of the bike with the 29?
Wich offset should I take 44 ?

Thank for your help :)
I went with 150 to maintain a good balance but I have a friend that’s using 160. Whichever way you go, it’s a simple air shaft swap to try the other size so not that big of a deal. he does say the front wonders a bit on climbs, personally I have no plans to go to 160, I think the 150 feels dialed and very well balanced. As far as offset I stuck with 44 as that’s what the bike is designed around but there’s certainly ample debate that it doesn’t matter or isn’t easy to tell a difference.

Phorcedaccess

Aug 1, 2021
Albuquerque, NM
Just got the Heckler cc S, had a Cannondale Jeckyll Carbon 2, so swapping out technology. Bringing over my Fox Factory dropper, my SRAM X01 gear minus the 2 click shifter, shop said DO NOT DO 2 click, also bringing over my Magura MT7 Pro breaks, they are ordering a special read rotor, the front works fine. Also been reading the Mullet builds, so putting in an order for the Fox Factory 38, 160mm 44 offset fork, with the RaceFace ARC HD Offset 30, 29. Im a big dude, 250lbs, 47 yr old, and uphills simply were killing me, bummed its not the EP8 motor. I see I'm slower on decent now due to the motor limit of 20mph, I used to tickle 30mph on the Jekyll, so I have been looking at the overide chips, anyone put one on theirs that gets rid of the speed limit? Also any other ideas or thoughts on the build....

sledgy

Nov 7, 2023
So. Cal.
Bringin it bk from the DEAD .

I must be one of the only ones on these forums still rockin' the OG.... where are all the custom upgrade threads or builds on the old girl ??

After install Before test ride..jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles